1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'06 Tacoma Gas Mileage Suffering

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by snpower, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Feb 21, 2011 at 3:19 PM
    snpower

snpower [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 Double Cab
    Greetings -

First post here despite having owned my truck since new. Why? Because I've never had a problem with it! :D

The gas mileage is... down. I've always gotten right around 18 and 22 day in and day out. City is now down to just under 16. Highway is down to 20-21. The truck has 43K, a K&N filter, Cooper Discoverer tires. I burn 89 octane per the manufacturer's recommendation. Not sure what to think other than crappy winder blends of fuel but I'd like to hear ideas (I did recently service the filter). The truck has the oil changed every 4K and the tires rotated/checked every 5K. A cat. converter problem? I hope not...

2. Feb 21, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    How about spark plugs?? When is the last time those were changed out. And how many miles do you have??

3. Feb 21, 2011 at 4:40 PM
    snpower

snpower [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 Double Cab
    43K original plugs. Seems early but definitely NOT a bad idea. What plug would/can you recommend?

4. Feb 21, 2011 at 4:44 PM
    Hondarider08

Hondarider08 "That's what she said..."

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Logan, UT (Originally Pocatello, ID)
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD
    Leveling kit, K&N drop in, and a Loud Ass Stereo :)
    Try cleaning your mass air flow sensor. especially with the drop in filter. that oil will soak through and coat the sensor and throw you milage off. just grab some electrical contact cleaner and then spray it down really good. It brought my milage back to normal after the slight drop.

5. Feb 21, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    snpower

snpower [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 Double Cab
    Excellent advice. I'll do the aforementioned and report back.

6. Feb 21, 2011 at 6:33 PM
    Brunes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    It might seem early on the plugs- but these are 30K plugs and are pretty sensative. I pulled mine at 35K and they were all out of spec...just a little bit- but a little bit matters on a plug.

Hopefully those things will help you out!!

7. Feb 22, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    snpower

snpower [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 Double Cab
    OK. Plugs done. Mass Airflow Sensor done. Throttle body done. Great write ups on this site! Spent probably $36.00 on parts. Now we wait until I need more fuel.

Funny –I have maintained two BMWs and done extensive work on each, and generally stay ahead of the curve. I ASSumed the dealer and the other shop I use were looking out for me.
    :D

8. Feb 22, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    Brunes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    They may not be...but we are!! Plus you spent a lot less this way.

9. Feb 23, 2011 at 6:53 AM
    snpower

snpower [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 Double Cab
    And there I was, feeling good about doing 2 out of the 3 mentioned maintenance items. I'll hit the LSD fluid next payday, and dump in the injector cleaner ASAP.

10. Feb 23, 2011 at 7:54 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Something that rarely get's mentioned,,, but mpg problems can also be caused by the O2 sensors starting to go. Downside is you never know which one(s) it might be unless they fail completely and throw a code, and the price to replace 'em all is nasty.

But if you do everthing else and still no success, might want to consider this.

11. Feb 25, 2011 at 2:29 PM
    snpower

snpower [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 Double Cab
    Checked the mileage today @ fill-up. It's BACK UP. I only burned 1/2 tank since the tune up but I calculated it as 17.19 mpg (city driving only).

To Top