1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

06 with newly installed recall springs - AAL question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by toddwarren2, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Sep 24, 2016 at 5:11 PM
    toddwarren2

toddwarren2 [OP] Gig 'em Ags!

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L 4-cyl Tacoma 4x4
    3" MotoFab strut spacer 3" SkyJacker Add A Leaf LiquidMetal 20" chrome wheels 275/55/20 Pirelli Scorpion tires TPMS hack (to turn off the blinking light) 1" filter for the 2ndary air pump (emissions control BS)
    Okay, here are my suggestions:

1) c-clamps are your friends. Use them to compress the leaf pack so you can get the new center bolt in

2) watch the hyrdraulic brake lines (2 flexible) on the driver's side. There's a clip that bolts on to the axle. Make sure it's unbolted before you drop the axle otherwise the whole axle will hang on those flexible lines (no bueno)

3) you do NOT have to take the whole leaf pack off the truck to do this AAL (if you didn't know already)

4) use the old center pin dropped into the leaf pack from the top to line up the springs and shims (make sure these don't slide around b/c if they're off by a hair, you'll never get the center pin in) The new, longer center pin will drive out the old one as you c-clamp compress the leaf pack. You might have to tap the ends individual leaf springs to get them to line up.

5) be prepared to either cut off the top of the new center pin after install so the bump-stop will sit down flush on the axle plate. I didn't cut them, I just reamed out the underside (there's a hole molded into the bump stop on the bottom side- I just made it a little deeper and wider. Didn't take but a few seconds with a drill and a properly sized bit)

That's about all I can think of. It's a pretty easy job with a good jack (or jacks) and jack stands. Please use jack stands and not multiple jacks...for the sake of safety. LOL

foxrcing07 likes this.
  2. Sep 25, 2016 at 7:23 AM
    NewRider

NewRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Charlottesville , Va
    Vehicle:
    '87 4runner
    Sounds like it was a pretty successful job for you. Well done! Sense you say you don't off-road too much I doubt it'll be an isssue but for anyone reading this thread that does... I highly suggest cutting thy bolt and not reaming the bump stop. They're meant to compress a certain amount and teaming them out could lead to problems with they're compression or if the bolt is now too high in the bump and it compresses hard it could just split leaving you no bump at all and the top plate now contacting he center pin which would not be good at all!

3. Sep 25, 2016 at 7:57 AM
    toddwarren2

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    3" MotoFab strut spacer 3" SkyJacker Add A Leaf LiquidMetal 20" chrome wheels 275/55/20 Pirelli Scorpion tires TPMS hack (to turn off the blinking light) 1" filter for the 2ndary air pump (emissions control BS)
    Yup, that's an excellent point. I don't want to take it all apart again to trim it off, so I'll just go along as is everything is fine. LOL. I doubt I'll be off-roading where the bump stop will be in use...but every once in a while I fill the bed down with a heavy load. Guess I better be careful from now on (except the AAL will give me less sagging and better clearance- should be ok)

4. Sep 25, 2016 at 8:06 AM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    I was told many, many years ago that you're supposed to trim the center bolt a little long, a couple of threads above the nut is sufficient. Then you peen the bolt over on top of the nut to prevent it from ever backing off. So that's what I've always done.

5. Sep 25, 2016 at 8:46 AM
    NewRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Charlottesville , Va
    Vehicle:
    '87 4runner
    OP I imagine you'll be fine with the type of driving you say you do, just something to consider

And @DaveInDenver, I didn't bother peaning the end of mine but it makes perfect sense

toddwarren2[OP] and DaveInDenver like this.
  6. Sep 26, 2016 at 4:12 PM
    toddwarren2

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    The "before" pic in the parking lot. The "after" in the driveway. Was starting to get dark-ish so the lighting sucked. Guess it helps hide the "training-wheels" look my stock alloys and stock tires give! Ha! I got about 2.5-2.75" lift outta the spacers and the AAL. Not bad. Now to save a few more pennies so I can stuff some meat in those wheel wells!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tex FF Taco likes this.
  7. Sep 29, 2016 at 10:23 AM
    toddwarren2

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    Dammit! Now my passenger side sway bar is in contact with the bottom of the strut (spring). Anyone have this same issue after a spacer install? Annoying!

8. Sep 29, 2016 at 10:36 AM
    backcountryj

backcountryj Pending Approval

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    Not sure why a spacer would alter your geometry enough to cause sway bar to coil contact, but you could try this. And verify that the spacer is installed correctly of course.

9. Sep 29, 2016 at 12:03 PM
    toddwarren2

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:

Yup, a quick TW search revealed a plethora of comments related to the swap bar relocation/spacer kit. Thanks for the link above. For $30, I'm ordering a kit tonight.

The strut is shifted down the thickness of the spacer, so it's closer to the sway bar. In my case, touching it. I remember cussing at the sway bar for being so close when I was re-installing the struts with the spacers attached. Guess it should have dawned on me that it was gunna be an issue! I ended up unbolting
    the sway bar to get it the hell outta the way. I didn't notice it was touching the strut spring when I bolted it back up. Arg. Live and learn from my mistakes!

10. Sep 30, 2016 at 6:52 AM
    NewRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Charlottesville , Va
    Vehicle:
    '87 4runner
    Skip the $30 and take it off

11. Sep 30, 2016 at 7:01 AM
    toddwarren2

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    Not exactly comfortable removing the sway bar. I do a LOT of highway driving and I live in S. Florida (read: terrible drivers that I have to evade routinely). LOL

Crosis likes this.
  12. Sep 30, 2016 at 12:18 PM
    NewRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Charlottesville , Va
    Vehicle:
    '87 4runner
    I wasn't at first either but I really couldn't hardly notice it gone

13. Oct 10, 2016 at 4:13 AM
    toddwarren2

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    Well a buddy had some 20's (275/55/20) from a project that just happened to fit my bolt pattern. I threw those on for a test fit and to my surprise they fit like a glove. Here are some before/after pics. One of my stock UCA clearance. The only place I think I might be rubbing is the skid plate on my passenger side. Maybe I bent it out because I was lazy and didn't want to remove it when I did my sway bar relocate spacers...or maybe not. LOL I feel like my truck is settling after the rear AALs which seems to be more noticeable now after the wheel/tire change. Not sure why it seem more noticeable, but it does. I guess a 1-1.5" block will do me up if I get too annoyed.

BEFORE:
    IMG_8042.jpg
    AFTER:
    IMG_8050.jpg
    BEFORE:
    IMG_8043.jpg
    AFTER:
    IMG_8056.jpg
    I've got about 3/4" or so of space. Won't be able to put bigger tires unless I do the UCA upgrade.
    IMG_8060.jpg
    Nice profile after the new tires/rims. I like the "flush" look.
    IMG_8058.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016

Products Discussed in

To Top