1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

07 Access Cab - Broken Door Hinge : HELP!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by YotaTaco, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Jan 31, 2018 at 2:11 PM
    Burlman

Burlman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Accees Cab TRD
    Just had the same problem with my 05 Tacoma Access Cab driver side door. Have never had wind blow the door open. No accidents. Just heard the odd click opening the door this past weekend. Called my service coordinator Monday. Went to Priority Toyota in Chesapeake, VA the next day to the same person I always see and same senior master mechanic who alway works on my vehicle (after having sent close up pictures the day prior). After 90 minutes they told me it could not be repaired (obviously not true) and that I would have to go to the body shop. Body shop estimator let it slip this had been a problem with the Sienna (my wife has one), so contrary to what I was told, not a heretofore unseen or rare issue for Toyota (like the clutch problem). Naturally, the estimator said it could not be repaired and the door would have to be replaced - for $2,119.98. Laughed at him and went back to the service department and asked for the service department manager and explained that he personally needed get on the phone to corporate and find a solution, all the while expecting that others had this same part fail and/or that Toyota was hiding a known problem. In looking for an illustrated parts list for the door, came across this thread (same site where I researched the known clutch problem that Priority Toyota did not want to admit to and used successfully against the company/dealership). Before contacting my machinery repairman friend to fix it with his assistance if necessary, I decided to call Checkered Flag Toyota in Va. Beach where I bought the vehicle in 05. Girl I spoke with just told me "yes, we can fix that . . . service cost would be $145. I'll have to check on parts price." Hope this helps someone.
    paxpawD9SVmHX+2lgC4ZBg.jpg

YotaTaco[OP] likes this.
  2. Apr 29, 2024 at 3:00 PM
    bbinSF

bbinSF Active Member

Member:

How'd this hold up?

3. Apr 30, 2024 at 11:20 AM
    Moto521

Moto521 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR
    I know this is an old post.
    I did have this happen to my drivers door on my 2000 Tundra. Not as bad, just cracked. Tundra Solutions makes a plate that can be welded on or bolted on depending on the extent of damage.

bbinSF and Steves104x4 like this.
  4. Apr 30, 2024 at 1:25 PM
    bbinSF

bbinSF Active Member

Member:
    Thanks for this, I looked these up and they look good if you can slip them inside the door. Putting them on the outside doesn't really mitigate the big stress event (door opening).

Just for the record, here's a good weld fix video. I have nothing left really to attach to, so I'm going down this path and getting it professionally welded. Also I think having

5. May 1, 2024 at 8:01 PM
    ewitz

ewitz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Blue 07 Taco Crew
    Kenwood Radio
    Wow, this is a brutal problem that I've never seen until today. Also @bbinSF, great video, thanks for sharing!

6. May 5, 2024 at 4:01 PM
    bbinSF

bbinSF Active Member

Member:
    I'm looking at a different door plunger which has female threads instead of the male studs. I can open those up and use longer bolts to sandwich tighter. Still, cannot understand how there is a rub between an unmolested window guide and the plunger. I'm suspecting the door catch is not an exact fit part.

Products Discussed in

To Top