1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

07 Cranks but wont start?!?! HELP

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BudTRD, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Mar 8, 2013 at 8:31 AM
    BudTRD

BudTRD [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    California
    Toytec 3" coilover , Camburg uniball UCA's , Maxtrac 4" spindles, steel braided lines, doug thorley short headers, spintech muffler, AFE cold air intake stage 1 , Jet performance throttle body spacer , billet grill painted black, cleared out headlights with HID bulbs.
    iv noticed over the past few days when i start my truck is has been taking more cranks before it fires up. and yesterday it would crank for a good 5 seconds before it would fire. This morning it would only crank and crank and crank but no fire at all.

I checked battery connection it was all tight. I have fuel in my tank, my air filter is only 1 month old ( afe cold air dry ) so i know it cant be the filter. And i had just recently cleaned my MAF with seafoam spray and cleaned my throttle body. I took my battery to auto zone and he said its fine but now its at 43% so i left it there for a charge ( 3-4 hours eta , optima red top ) and while i was there i though i might as well buy a new fuel filter because i did run sea foam through my gas tank a few months back. but auto zone tells me the fuel filter for my truck is N/A because it is located inside of the fuel tank.

My truck is a 2007 Tacoma prerunner TRD offroad 2wd 4.0 v6 with 103k miles and very well taken care of.

i am at a loss and currently suppose to be at work..... i know you tacoma gurus will have some info to help me out here. i tried to search this but the TW search doesnt work too well ( you can find TW threads easier from google search ) but i still found nothing that sounded like my problem.

2. Mar 8, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    MadMan

MadMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indy
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD sport
    De-badged and blacked out
    Not sure about Tacoma, but on my bike if battery is not fully charged, it will crank but will not start.

See what happens once it's fully charged.

3. Mar 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    justinhw

justinhw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Turlock, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab 4x4 2TR-FE
    any check engine light? I'd start by determining if the issue is with fuel, ignition, or compression.

I'd start with fuel first- if you spray some starting fluid or anything with propane propellant (carb cleaner, b12 chemtool, etc) into the intake (after the air filter but above the throttle body) will it run for a second? It's damaging long term but once or twice for diagnostics is OK in my mind. If it runs for a sec then it's a problem with fuel delivery (fuel pump, injectors, etc).

I do this to test older carbed and FI cars. If this is a no-go for newer engines someone please let me know (if so I'd like to know why also).

Cheers

4. Mar 8, 2013 at 11:39 AM
    jake72

jake72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    N.E. PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd off-road dcsb mt
    hows your spark plugs

5. Mar 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    First, the whole starter fluid thing isnt good. Besides, it may not even work if you still have the secondary charcoal filter. If it cranks but wont start, either your ignition system or fuel pump isnt working. Check the fuses. I had the same problem one night and there was a fuse popped.

6. Mar 8, 2013 at 12:13 PM
    BudTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    California
    Toytec 3" coilover , Camburg uniball UCA's , Maxtrac 4" spindles, steel braided lines, doug thorley short headers, spintech muffler, AFE cold air intake stage 1 , Jet performance throttle body spacer , billet grill painted black, cleared out headlights with HID bulbs.
    I have the AFE stage 2 SI cai so i dont have a charcoal filter. I know it is either fuel or spark at this point and i doubt its my spark plugs because they would all have to break at the same time for the engine to not even fire or pop . I think its my fuel pump or some ingition issue... iv read about possibly needing to reflash my ecu? not sure about that one.

But where do i find the fuses? and is there a fuse for my fuel pump? I think thats next on my list.

Thanks for the input

7. Mar 8, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    Fenwick1993

Fenwick1993 Hillbilly

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Fenwick
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 5Lug, 2015 PreRunner
    Stonewall is the fattest 5 lug slug ever
    So you have fuel... have you actually checked your spark plugs to see if they are getting spark? It's worth a shot.
    I do think this is a fuel issue, though. Either the fuel pump isn’t pumping fuel or the ECU isn’t triggering the fuel injectors.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  8. Mar 8, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I'd suspect ignition, and more specifically I'd suspect the immobilizer and security stuff. Try lock/panic/unlock then start with a different key.

9. Mar 8, 2013 at 3:10 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    Care to clarify how they said it was fine but you had to charge it right after? Failing batteries will look charged but as soon as you put a load on it, it will drain fast.

10. Mar 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM
    BudTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    California
    Guy at autozone tested it and said its holding a charge, then he put it on a trickle charger to get it back to 100%. And the thing is... the engine was cranking perfectly fast and hard, just didint hear any fire or poppin. and like i mentioned it started taking longer and longer to start in the past few days so it has to have been something that is wearing out or burning out, which is why im suspecting the fuel pump as the problem for now.

Gonna pull a late nighter in the rainy weather tonight trying to dig deeper and will update on that status.

11. Mar 8, 2013 at 5:05 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    There was another guy just last week with the same issue. It was his battery.

12. Mar 8, 2013 at 5:27 PM
    sde780

sde780 Well-Known Member

Member:
    If it cranks fine I don't see the battery being the problem...check for spark

13. Mar 8, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    07 sport 4x4

07 sport 4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Southeast
    Vehicle:
    2017 Duramax
    How long has it been since the plugs were last changed?

14. Mar 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM
    mick478

mick478 He is The STig

Member:
    First Name:
    Bott
    Stockton, CACA
    Vehicle:
    2011 White TRD Sport, 4x4 doublemint cab
    Ome 885 coils Ome n9000 front shocks Ome n182 rear shocks K&n drop in filter Duratracs Kenwood kac 90210d Kicker 12" Alpine 800 watt 4 channel Pioneer 430w 6x9 Firestone ride rite air springs
    most newer cars have a senso at the crankshaft that detects tdc, and initiates fuel delivery and injector timing or something, i worked on a plymouth neon one time and the thing would crank and crank, but nothing. i did a bunch of research, and replaced one sensor at the cam, then the one at the crank and it fired right up. i think its called crankshaft position sensor, u can also hear the fuel pump running if you listen closely, and check it with the shreader valve on the fuel line that feeds the injectors, (like on a tire) just hit it with a small screwdriver and it should squirt at you, giggity, and they also lend out fuel pressure gauges at autozone or wherever to test the fuel pressure, if your leaning that route.

15. Mar 8, 2013 at 8:15 PM
    BudTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    California
    Thanks for the info on the crank censor . If I'm going to check those, how and where are they located?

16. Mar 9, 2013 at 4:59 AM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
  17. Mar 9, 2013 at 7:51 AM
    mick478

mick478 He is The STig

Member:
    First Name:
    Bott
    Stockton, CACA
    Vehicle:
    Ome 885 coils Ome n9000 front shocks Ome n182 rear shocks K&n drop in filter Duratracs Kenwood kac 90210d Kicker 12" Alpine 800 watt 4 channel Pioneer 430w 6x9 Firestone ride rite air springs
    I don't know where it is, it's usually a wire with a plug going into the case somewhere by the balancer, it will most likely have a bolt and all u gotta do is undo the wire plug, and bolt and it will pop out with a little work.

18. Mar 9, 2013 at 8:41 AM
    Vstrom30

Vstrom30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Access Cab 4x4
    You guys are kind of taking the hard path too soon. The crank sensors are a pain in the ass to get to on almost all GR engines because they are behind the AC compressor just like shown in the link 2 posts up. If the battery is as low as 11.9v, there will be starting issues. If its not the battery, you then check for spark and injector pulse. If there is spark but no injector pulse, it's can be an immobilizer issue. If it has both spark and injector pulse, you them need to check fuel pressure. Toyota doesn't use shrader valves. You will have to install the fuel pressure tester inline at one of the connectors. Make sure the battery has proper voltage (above 12 volts) , then check spark and injector pulse. Go from there. If you don't know how to safely do this stuff, you will have to take it somewhere.

Waasheem likes this.
  19. Mar 9, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    mick478

mick478 He is The STig

Member:
    First Name:
    Bott
    Stockton, CACA
    Vehicle:
    Definitely agree, the sensor was just one of the times I've seen this happen, I am not a mechanic certified or otherwise, he can try jumping it, see if that works to eliminate the battery for sure

EPBlueTaco likes this.
  20. Mar 9, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    Vstrom30

Vstrom30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Access Cab 4x4
    You kind of initiated the harder path. I'm not here to yell or flame. The crank sensor is kind of basic nowadays anyways as far as engine controls. The cam sensors are just as important, if not more important because they allow multi-port fuel injection and variable valve timing, and they can give information suggesting the timing is off as well. That being said, I have personally never seen a crank sensor go bad in a GR motor yet. Can it happen? Sure. Likely at this point? No. While you are correct that a cam or crank sensor can cause an extended crank, we just have to always start with the basic stuff. Some manufacturers have built-in computer logic that allow the engine to still start while relying on the other sensor if a cam or crank signal is lost. It will just crank longer until it sees the data it needs to run. I am not sure if Toyota does this. I guess one could go out and disconnect a cam sensor and see what happens, but then you will need to clear a code. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top