1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

07 Tacoma making noises when driving from rear end

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Swoods, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Nov 3, 2011 at 8:09 PM
    Swoods

Swoods [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bay area
    Vehicle:
    07 pre runner lifted
    6inch pro comp lift 35's
    I have a 2007 Tacoma with 46,000 miles on it and has a pro comp 6 inch lift and 35's the left was put on about 8,000 miles ago. So the truck makes a clicking noise when I make right terns. That started happing about 3,000 miles ago and now the rear end is starting to leak oil supper slowly. Is the clicking noise a bad barring so that made the seal go bad?
    If it's gon bad why so would it go bad with only 46,000 miles on the truck?
    If thats the problem would putting 4:56 gears in it help it from happing agen?
    With any help would be good
    Thanks soo much!!!!

2. Nov 5, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    kimo

kimo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knuckle Head
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Sport DCLB 4X4!
    A clicking noise sounds like a bad bearing? Did the noise start before you noticed a seal leaking? Check your fluid level in your rearend and make sure its topped off before you continue driving it, could cause further damage if its too low. You will probalbly want a tech to look at this asap.

3. Nov 5, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Sounds like one of the spider gears in the diff has a chip out of it.

Where is the oil leaking from? It's somewhat common for the wheel seals to leak on the rearends in this truck. If that's where it's coming from it's probably just a seal, not a bad wheel bearing. Those make a roaring noise that increases with speed in a straight line or turning.

Have you checked the oil level? If it's low, that could have damaged the diff for sure. Or maybe you will get lucky and just have to top it off.

Putting 4.56s in it probably won't help the spider gears if that's what's wrong with it. But it should take the load off the rest of the drivetrain.

4. Nov 6, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    Swoods

Swoods [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bay area
    Vehicle:
    07 pre runner lifted
    6inch pro comp lift 35's
    k so today I pulled it all apart and the clicking noise was the drum brake so i fixed that do think it had any thing to do with the seal breaking. the only other thing that could have made it go bad is when I excerate and it shifts from 1st to 2nd it vibrates. So how would I stop the vibrateing coming from the rear end if thats the problem?
    thanks for your help!

Products Discussed in

To Top