1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

07 Tacoma Odd clunking/popping sounding coming from under truck

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Johnnycage, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Nov 27, 2013 at 2:42 AM
    lunch box

lunch box diesel mechanic

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 trd tacoma
    diff lock grey wire mod k&n77series cold air intake 2nd gen s/c water meth injection 7th injector urd 5100s lift all the way around add a leaf new excedy clutch and rear main seal scan guage 2 wet okole covers.bazooka tube.& some minor body stuff.TRD supercharger,URD 7th injector kit
    hard to tell maybe a broken coil over spring which can be hard to see, doesnt really sound like a u joint shifting, see if you can duplicate the sound with a jack just by jacking up on the suspension.

2. Nov 27, 2013 at 2:55 AM
    lunch box

lunch box diesel mechanic

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 trd tacoma
    diff lock grey wire mod k&n77series cold air intake 2nd gen s/c water meth injection 7th injector urd 5100s lift all the way around add a leaf new excedy clutch and rear main seal scan guage 2 wet okole covers.bazooka tube.& some minor body stuff.TRD supercharger,URD 7th injector kit
    dont know if my reply posted doesnt look like it did im thinking poosible broken coil over spring it can be hard to see run a scribe all the way around the spring and look for cracks,also if you go from first to reverse a few times it will tell you if its U joint slop but it didnt sound like it sounds like suspension related or even steering related

3. Jan 9, 2014 at 4:39 PM
    DannyD

DannyD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB
    My truck is doing this aswell. Might not be as severe. Just a single pop/clunk when coming to a stop or an initial go when the wheel is turned both forward and reverse. I can actually feel it under my feet slightly

I have a 2012 4x4 with 28,000km on it. I took it to the dealer suggesting they check the tourque on all the suspension components. He greased my wheel stops with some never seize and told me its the hardened mud in my frame and under my skid plate. He found some huge chunks hidden up there somewhere. I cant see how any amount of dirt would strain the components enough to make them make a popping noise but I agreed to clean it further then go from there. I pressure wash all the time but must be locations you cant see from taking a knee on a stock truck. Im goona put it up on some stands, drop the skid plate and go to town with the pressure washer before anything else.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  4. Mar 4, 2014 at 5:38 PM
    careyrob

careyrob New Member

Member:
    Bonney Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma dbl cab 4X4
    I had similar noises coming from somewhere under my 05 Tacoma two winters ago in North Dakota when the temperature dropped below -30F one week. It went away after the weather warmed up so I thought it was just ice on the undercarriage popping.

The next summer it was more pronounced when it returned while I was on vacation in NY. It was both u-joints making the popping sound, but they went out because the drive shaft carrier bearing had failed. I had about 108k mills on the truck.

That's a nice $700 fix at the dealer which I would have done myself if I wasn't 1200 miles from home with a pregnant wife and a 2 year old.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  5. Mar 6, 2014 at 8:46 AM
    UTMOST

UTMOST Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Huntington Beach / San Diego
    Vehicle:
    11 ProRunner
    TRD exhaust, AFE stage 2 SI CAI, 2.5 RR Fox Coilovers, TC UCA's, 2.0 Piggyback Rear Fox Shox's, Icon AAL, TRD Fake beadlocks, 285/75/R16 BFG A/T, HID headlights/fogs, Foglight anytime mod, kenwood DDX 419, Scanguage II, Custom LED Interior, Debadged, Plastidipped front grill and rear bumper
    If anyone has Uniball upper arms it could be that the uniball is dried out. I just sprayed some silicone spray around it and my noise went right away.

6. Mar 7, 2014 at 8:26 AM
    Johnnycage

Johnnycage [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pickering
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD SR5 Sport 4x4 Long Bed
    I still can't find the cause. Looked countless times and had a couple mechanics try to diagnose. The last couple suggestions I'll look at soon.

7. Mar 7, 2014 at 10:14 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Have you tried rotating the LCA camber bolts? To see if they are seized?

8. Mar 8, 2014 at 4:49 AM
    Johnnycage

Johnnycage [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pickering
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD SR5 Sport 4x4 Long Bed
    Haven't thought to try that. Will have to when then weather warms up.

Products Discussed in

To Top