1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

08 Access Cab simple upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ChadTower, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Jan 3, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    ChadTower

ChadTower [OP] Member

Member:
    MA - USA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 Access
    I just installed a CDE-125BT. It sounds a lot better than the factory unit did but I can already see the limitations of the factory speakers. I've been poking around here seeing other builds where folks are pulling out the rear storage areas to put in amps and subs. The issue there for me is I have kids who often sit back there and we use that storage.

Still, I would like subs. I'm still learning the various ways to implement car audio. Would it be reasonable here to upgrade the rears and use the head unit's software to turn them into subs? It seems like this unit has built in soft crossover ability. Or would I be better suited to stick crossovers in line with those rears?

I figure in such a small space a good pair of fronts should work while dedicating the rears to bass. I'm not looking for show quality audio, nor to damage anyone's eardrums, and I'm trying to avoid losing any cab space. Any advice would be highly appreciated. :D

2. Jan 8, 2011 at 12:31 AM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    to get a notable amount of bass even comparable to most subs put in cars, you are definitely going to want to run them off an amp. the rear speaker subs that you are considering might not be a bad idea for you. like you said, your not looking for huge bass. The JL Audio 6W3 woofers would fit nicely in your rear doors with a 3/4" thick mounting ring. you would want to make sure you had a fairly deadened/sealed area within the mounting area of the door for best results. Find yourself an amp that can put 150-200W to each of those and im sure you'll be happy with it.

3. Jan 8, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    ChadTower

ChadTower [OP] Member

Member:
    MA - USA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 Access
    That's what I wanted to know, thanks. I am thinking of dropping this in as the amp for space reasons. Any opinion on that?

4. Jan 8, 2011 at 6:38 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    i would steer clear of that. you want a REAL amplifier. something that will give you control over your sound as well as a notable increase in power. if you're worried about space, maybe explore some digital amplifier options. the smallest ones i've seen so far are the new JL XD series amps which can pack some serious punch in a tiny package.

Products Discussed in

To Top