1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

08 Arrived now I have a few issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 4x4x4trd, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Jan 31, 2008 at 5:41 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I'll bitch if I want to :D
    Even the friggin Sienna has heated mirrors :p
    Been driving a toyota truck since the 80s
    Guess I got spoiled in my Tundra
    The tacoma is a winner ... agreed. :thumbsup:

2. Feb 1, 2008 at 4:00 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Really, how cool is that. Thanks for this little bit of info. ;)

3. Feb 1, 2008 at 4:02 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Stop making enemies. :rolleyes:;)

4. Feb 1, 2008 at 4:05 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    This must be a new thing. I lived in NJ for 30 years and now in SC for 7. I never really thought I needed a heated mirror. I suppose if I had one up there I would miss it if I didn't have it all of the sudden. Down here I never even thought about it.

It's amazing what we have done without till now.

My God, we used to not have cellphones, I actually had to pull over to find a payphone. The tragedy of it all, how did we survive in those dark ages.

Who here remembers Pong? :)

5. Feb 1, 2008 at 6:50 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Thats actually somthing that i dont understand. My friend just got a Tundra with the Crewmax (it was the only cab option with the power sliding window), SR5 and TRD pkg and the big engine. he paid 30k for it brand new with no trade in. i have no idea how he got that price but its only a couple thousand more than my truck and its ALOT more truck. Now i dont need a tundra or want one but how can they sell it for so cheap with about 500 more options than what my truck came with?

6. Feb 1, 2008 at 7:23 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    :sheepishly raises hand and shows age: :playball:

7. Feb 1, 2008 at 12:25 PM
    Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Member:
    They price based on their strategy in each market segment.

Toyota is number 1 in the mid-size truck segment. Their strategy appears to be maintaining their number 1 position while raking in all the cash they can. They aren't doing a whole bunch of discounting.

On the other hand, Toyota is near the bottom of the full size pickup market. The Big 3 domestics all outsell the Tundra. The Tundra sells about 200,000 units a year, but Ford sells about a million F-series trucks. Toyota has to be more competitive if they want to gain share.

On top of that, big trucks are a hard sell right now. The economy is slow and fuel costs are rising. Rebates and incentives are all over the place, so Toyota is trying to break into a tough market.

8. Feb 1, 2008 at 1:44 PM
    rmd0311

rmd0311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dutchess County, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 Mag Gray TRD Sport
    Damn., that's just 3k more than what I paid... But I would not buy a Tundra anyway. While it looks great, I hardly need a pickup as it is, I could not justify to myself buying that monster of a truck.

9. Feb 1, 2008 at 7:58 PM
    TacoTurd

TacoTurd Defying Alliances since 2007

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Bull Bar, PIAA lights, Passport, Bed Mat, UWS Toolbox, Hood Struts, Rear TSB, TRD/Okole Seat Covers, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Burned Carpet, Nasty Dent in Roof
    Did you ask them about this? I pointed it out on my sticker, the salesman walked over to the accessories department and just handed me one.

Now that I think about it, "converter" could mean the electronics to make the trailer brake lights work (trailers don't have separate blinker circuits like the truck does). That was not included on my last truck.

10. Feb 2, 2008 at 1:20 AM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd [OP] My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    My 99 was a limited model and that is my point. Not offered in '08 and the MSRP on the 99 limited x-tra cab was actually $25,588 vs $23,890 for a '07 Access in SR5 trim according to NADA. Don't get me wrong I am really very happy with the 08 and the 99 is probably sold as of tomorrow. Just feel some things on the 08 are lacking compared to a nine year older truck that could have been added for the same money as in 99 in a limited model. Shows how competitive the market has become. Later

11. Feb 2, 2008 at 1:31 AM
    4x4x4trd

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    Don't forget the new electric toothbrushes with a remote that tells you if your doing it right! Wow who would have thought?

12. Feb 2, 2008 at 3:13 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    ;)

13. Feb 2, 2008 at 6:52 AM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    When I bought my truck,my dealer was trying hard to steer me into a Tundra.They are beautiful trucks but not what I was looking for.When I decided on the top of the line Tacoma the salesman started saying things like..."for only this much more a month you could have a Tundra" etc.There also seemed to be more wiggle room and alot more stock on the Tundras.
    This tells me that locally Tundra sales are slower and the Tacomas sell themselves.

14. Feb 2, 2008 at 8:11 AM
    4x4x4trd

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    Same as my local dealer. Lot is full of Tundra's. I took the build your own printout for a Tacoma off the Toyota web sight to the local salesperson who proceeded to leave me sit for 20 min. only to return with a company version of the same thing with the same MSRP figure highlighted and told me that tacoma's sold out off their lot as quick as they got them so they didn't need to discount them at all. I left and called the out of town dealer I purchased from in '99 and He came off $2400 and change on the first phone call. I called several others as well and some were actually a little cheaper but a lot farther away. Guess where I went? Later

15. Feb 2, 2008 at 8:48 AM
    allrsdup

allrsdup Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sahuarita AZ.
    Vehicle:
    2018 dcsb trd offroad 4x4 Inferno
    wow if u had that many issues with it why did u buy t in the first place. with any car or truck u buy there is going to be things that u feels could have been done better.

16. Feb 2, 2008 at 9:35 AM
    4x4x4trd

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    Still beats any other mid size truck out there! My opinion. Your missing my point. This is my 4th Tacoma size Toyota truck. My second a '89 had 90,000 miles and was 9 years old when I got a card in the mail about a "possible head gasket problem". Sure enough a week later I smell anti-freeze while driving. Took it to the dealer and they rebuilt the top end of that motor at no charge what-so-ever. I'll stick with a company that stands behind their products like that. I'm just saying that my '99 had the "Limited" option and some nicer features than this one. It didn't have XM or I-pod or hood stuts either. But they aren't available on the '08. I have no regrets about this new truck. Mod. parts on the way!!!

Also the antenna is about 1" to long as it hits the garage door so I guess I'll have to rob the power retractable one out of the '99 before it sells.:D

17. Feb 2, 2008 at 1:27 PM
    Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Member:
    Exaxctly the same for me. I hate having the antenna flip all over the place when I'm trying to get in or out of garage.

18. Feb 2, 2008 at 1:43 PM
    Charli

Charli Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport V6 Access Ca
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    ROFL! Because of the same issue, my ten-year-old was well-trained to tighten the antenna whenever he got out of the truck when I dropped him off at school...now that he takes the bus, I have to remember to do it myself, not to mention that with the lift added now, the antenna jams on the garage ceiling and just remains bent in an arc if I don't pull far enough in past the beam-bump! LOL! I've made the best of it--now I know when I've pulled into the garage "just far enough."

Yes Viper, I, too, remember Pong. Played it as a kid when I was the envy of the block with my brand-new Atari.

They also make toothbrushes that come complete with a sanitizer to store it in.... to think I never even had a carseat or a bike helmet as a child!

Products Discussed in

To Top