1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

08 Clutch Start Cancel Mod?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by billybobsgoat, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Aug 11, 2008 at 5:24 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Bottom middle.

th_DSCF1850_97a991aed7923ee5e2b68490abb11be614faab33.jpg

2. Aug 11, 2008 at 5:26 PM
    billybobsgoat

billybobsgoat [OP] Member of the Goat Army

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR CCSB Graphite
    Nevermind I just popped all the block outs out and no harness behind any of them, I wonder if there is a jumper to the relay fuse panel, If it is plug and play I just need the harness and buton??? if you pop that little door out behind the buttons can you see if there is a jumper harness going to thhe fuse relay panel??

3. Aug 11, 2008 at 7:11 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    There is only one harness for v6 trucks, so technically yes, it could potentially be plug and play. Once you
    A. Pulled the dash apart enough to find where the harness is all taped up and secured,

And

B. Then found where fuses/relays should have been and connect all the leads to them that are also taped up and out of the way.

I tried to help a guy make his v6 truck plug and play for the trailer wiring using toyota parts and wiring diagrams, but we could not figure out where the key componant was missing, so we just ran everything from scratch.

Long story short. Yes all the wiring for the clutch start cancel is in your truck, but it is all not connected, and may not even be in the locations that you need it to be.

Sorry I am not of more help on this for you.

4. Aug 11, 2008 at 7:47 PM
    LRH

LRH Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA USA
    Vehicle:
    '07 2.7L PreRunner
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Unplug clutch safety switch; and instead or jumping with cotter pin/paperclip, extend the 2 wires to a switch that will fit the extra opening. Relay not required as the clutch switch only breaks or completes the 12V to the starter solenoid. The switch is light duty, much like a dome lamp switch, so a heavy duty high amp switch is not required either. The complex part of the factory setup is that it defaults back to the factory setting once the ign has been turned off and back on again, whereas the clutch pedal must be depressed at every start unless button is pressed again. The jumper at the plug sounds better all the time as it is more permanent, but can be more dangerous if you sometimes let others drive the truck. Never let anyone reach through an open window to start vehicle; insist they sit in seat and start truck; it won't look good plowing over a group of kids at the beach or something similar.

You could also use a 3 position for a cheap anti-theft device for someone who jumps in and tries to start and run. Have the switch setup for "closed"; where truck will energise starter anytime ign switch is turned, "open" where it will not energise starter regardless of if or not the clutch pedal is depressed, and "normal" (factory default) where it works like the factory system. Not going to fool a pro, or someone who has a little time, but could stop, or delay someone doing a grab and run.

5. Aug 11, 2008 at 8:03 PM
    mudjunkie

mudjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    clearwater fl
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sx l
    header,short rack and pinion, heavy duty shocks, grill guard, flowmaster exhaust,pacesetter header without catalytic converter, one 10 inch xant sub with a mtx amp, off road lights,diamondplate tool box,rhinolined inside cab,ngk plugwires.
    i wish i would of read this lol is this true or false

6. Aug 11, 2008 at 8:13 PM
    billybobsgoat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the help out there, I have a buddy with an 07 4x4 I will see if he will let me peek under the dash just to see whats doing, If i find an easy mod for this one I will be reporting back in detail! Thanks again.

7. Aug 11, 2008 at 8:24 PM
    LRH

LRH Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA USA
    Vehicle:
    '07 2.7L PreRunner
    The reason that usually 4WD's come with this is because it really should be used in low range only to lessen strain on starter. On a very steep hill, a 2WD might not have enough gear reduction to even turn the engine over, just moan/hum and get very hot.

8. Aug 12, 2008 at 10:15 AM
    billybobsgoat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I just want it so when I start the motor while its cold I dont put all that load on the crank, I wasnt planning on actually using for what it was intended for.:D

Products Discussed in

To Top