1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

08 Reg Cab vs 03 Ext Cab

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by phsycle, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Feb 24, 2012 at 8:21 AM
    phsycle

phsycle [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am in a world of confusion. I'm looking for a new (to me) truck. I know I want a 4wd, 4-cyl and manual. I do not want a V6 or TRD option (I will eventually get an ARB locker system in the future). I have about $12-14k to spend.

So I came across two deals. One is an 08 Reg Cab with 50k miles. Looks great and I like that it's newer. I could probably get it for $13k. The other is an 03 Ext Cab with 80k miles, also in good condition. The price will be about the same.

I've never had a reg cab or ext. cab. My last truck was a double cab Taco, which I idiotically sold. Space wise, my wife now has an SUV which we use for family outings, so passenger space isn't THAT big of a concern. Besides, I have been in the back of an ext cab and wanted to kill myself. I figure it's just "cargo space", not passenger.

My dilemma is, do I get a newer Tacoma with no interior cargo space or an older Tacoma with some cargo space? The 08 is a little wider, which will prove to be more comfortable, but I'm still unsure about not being able to recline back or be able to throw stuff in the back.

This would be my hunting, fishing, skiing, house project rig. (I have a daily driver). Maybe once a year, it will be used to head to a hunting spot several hours away. My inclination is to go with a newer Taco, since it's newer, more comfortable, and I do like the shorter wheelbase for wheeling (although it is wider). What do you think? I wish I could drive each for a few days...:p

EDIT: I'm sure some of you will suggest getting a 05+ Access Cab, DC, etc. I'd like to keep this to just the above-mentioned vehicles. Thank you.

2. Feb 24, 2012 at 8:41 AM
    Joey_Buttafuoco

Joey_Buttafuoco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Watertown, Ma
    Vehicle:
    09 Reg. Cab 4x4 Silver
    avid offroad light-bar, URD short-throw shifter, fj steelies, 265-70/17 firestone destination a/t's, magnaflow 10425, tonneau cover, rear diff. breather mod, stubby antenna, debadged, weathertech digitalfit floormats, seat belt chime disabled, mudflap delete, buncha stickers
    I have a 09 single cab. It took me a little while to get used to the bench seat beacuse there is no way to adjust the angle of the seat, you can only adjust the whole seat front and back. Im 6'2" and still have one "click" to go from having the seat all the way back. There isnt a ton of space but its enough for my hardhat, boots and cold weather gear for work. My wife has a cr-v that serves as the family hauler so the single cab does everything i need it for. Id say go test drive both and see if its enough cab space for what you need.

3. Feb 24, 2012 at 9:22 AM
    phsycle

Member:
    Thanks. Is the bench seat comfortable for long road trips?

Cab space wise, I really don't think I'd need much. I just need to store my bow/rifle, but that can easily fit in the back of the seat. Worst case, I can store it in the bed. I do plan on getting a shell either way, so dry storage won't be a problem.

Thanks for your input.

4. Feb 24, 2012 at 11:07 AM
    Joey_Buttafuoco

Joey_Buttafuoco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Watertown, Ma
    Vehicle:
    09 Reg. Cab 4x4 Silver
    avid offroad light-bar, URD short-throw shifter, fj steelies, 265-70/17 firestone destination a/t's, magnaflow 10425, tonneau cover, rear diff. breather mod, stubby antenna, debadged, weathertech digitalfit floormats, seat belt chime disabled, mudflap delete, buncha stickers
    I think 3.5-4 hrs was the longest trip ive taken it on. Im not sure how to word it, i was never really uncomfortable, but i was glad to get out and stretch my legs when the trip was over, haha if that makes sense. I know the bench seat gets a lot of hate on here, i dont think its too bad. This is coming from someone who has never sat in the tacoma bucket seats, so maybe i just dont know what im missing.

5. Feb 24, 2012 at 11:26 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    Have you considered a shell for the regular cab? It sounds like the items you want to haul don't need to be in the cab but would need to stay dry and locked up. The regular cab with the shell on the back might suit your needs.

6. Feb 24, 2012 at 11:46 AM
    medictrack

medictrack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma 4x4
    relentless sliders bullet proof front skid pro comp bilstein lift fj trd tt wheels duratracs
    Hello, I have the reg. cab and I love it. Mine is a 2011 base 4x4. I have had no problem with the seat or ride. And the width with the short wheel base is GREAT. Good luck with your choice.

7. Feb 24, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    phsycle

Member:
    Pugga - Yes, I'm planning on a shell with whatever I decide to go with. I like to be able to lock my stuff up. That reminds me, I have to check to see if the tail gates are lockable or not...

medictrack - Thanks for the input. I do really dig the short wheelbase of the reg cab.

Joey - the bucket seat I had in my old Tacoma wasn't too comfortable. I'd imagine they're pretty much on par with the bench seats. Thanks for the input.

8. Feb 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    From the factory, the tailgates do not lock. Pop n' Lock makes a kit to make it lockable for like $50. I just use the shell to lock the tailgate, not 100% secure but keeps the honest people from stealing your stuff.

To Top