1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd gen, Anytime-On Rear View Camera with Switch on Dash mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Crom, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Oct 20, 2011 at 7:23 AM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    Check your connection from the REV wire to the switch terminal.
    See below:

2z4mo38_99e5c740ed0ec63966c757447b1d048ae31fd96f.jpg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  2. Oct 20, 2011 at 9:12 AM
    Crom

Crom [OP] Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Relik, Do you have a picture of your IN1 connector to share?

Dumb question, but are you certain that you used a SPDT switch? If so, did you test your connection before installing it? I always use a multimeter to confirm the operation of the switch before installing it and after I solder my wires on the terminals.

3. Oct 20, 2011 at 1:24 PM
    Relik

Relik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport PreRunner-Auto-Magnetic Gray
    Bilstein 5100s (Front & ext. Rear), Eibach coils @ 0, MaxTrac 4" Spindles, Light Racing UCAs, 1/4" lean spacer, All-Pro 3" Standard leafs, u-bolt flip kit, SpiderTrax 1.25" wheel spacers, 33" (285/70/17) TreadWright Warden A/T tires, extended lines
    Alright I pulled out a multimeter and narrowed down the error. Then i removed the steering panel and found this! :mad: Theres a harness (~clock spring) that pressed against the added switch and tore off a tab.
    4_0afcbfc29fa3a2876e304f58bfb136d54e893cbc.jpg

So...I put a new switch and soldered them @ 90 degrees....
    2_55464983e670c043b34b35cb62b52a76a794808d.jpg

I guess thats another tip for you guys hah....guess I was one heck of a guinea pig :p

Oh and here's how my connector looks. The correct one to cut is the red one to the left. I previously cut the red one towards the right which is incorrect.

1_f068116d37e98e78bbbc81006ca1d281b009a0d1.jpg

Thanks again guys for all your help and suggestions!

4. Oct 20, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    Good to see you found the problem.

Looking back at the pictures in this thread, I can see how you got confused about which red wire to cut.

The REV red wire *should* be in the same pin location regardless of different accessories I would think. I wonder if Crom can help confirm this. It's in the same position on yours as mine, but it's a bit tricky to tell on Crom's pics.

5. Oct 22, 2011 at 8:33 PM
    stretch85

stretch85 Active Member

Member:
    Raleigh-Durham, NC
    Vehicle:
    2011 V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    I finally completed this mod this afternoon after having a hell of a time finding an SPDT switch that fits in place of a dash blank. I'm happy to say I was successful!

[​IMG]

For anyone interested, this is the switch I used: http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/WR13ATN/WR13ATN-ND/2107124 (it's also available with quick disconnects instead of screw terminals on the back side). Fits great with a couple layers of electrical tape around it; no need to dremmel the socket.

I also left some notes about other switches I tried in this thread.

6. Oct 23, 2011 at 1:34 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    Damn... very nice. I wanted to mount the switch in that position originally.. but didn't feel like drilling out the blank insert that was in there. Found one switch that looked like the right size to fit in that hole, but no go. So I just went with the under-the-wheel column toggle switch. I suppose I could still do it though.
    Nice find.

7. Oct 23, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    p4l4acv2

p4l4acv2 Member

Member:
    Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4X4
    Great job on this mod, I was able to finish mine by following it to the line. Had a little trouble with the Add-on circuit but figured it out eventually. Anyway, as somebody stated the mirror video does not stays on all the time, although I do see the video on my stereo. Is there a way to defeat this on-time delay for the mirror video?

8. Oct 23, 2011 at 6:30 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    CROM,
    Can I just ask for some company (HELP!) when I'm ready to connect my back-up camera to my mirror? I'd buy you lunch and get a 6 pack for you. LOL. No, I'm serious! As motivated as I am, I just can't bring myself to start something that I feel I can't finish on my own. Food for thought. Hell, I'd even drive to you if I needed to. A mini-mod day so to speak. Who knows.

9. Oct 25, 2011 at 11:50 AM
    sbram500

sbram500 Active Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    11 dbl cab 4x4 trd off road
    3" lift, Rock sliders, Fog Light Anytime Mod, Vent guards, Full-Tilt Extang Bed Cover, More to come
    DSC05202_f576bf0963b09e9ba199accf24adb23c66750cb3.jpg

Hey Crom, What is the little red switch next to your hood pop? Ejector seat? Missle arming?

10. Oct 25, 2011 at 2:23 PM
    Crom

Crom [OP] Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Let me know when you're ready and I'll see if I can help.

Good eye. It's from one of my other mods. Day Time Running Light toggle switch.

DTRL toggle switch mod (stealth mode)

11. Oct 25, 2011 at 3:06 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    Any day of the week after 12PM. Sat & sun are usually open.
    I've got the back-up camera on the tailgate and the mirror with the monitor both installed. That's it. I'm sure I'd need to get some supplies at Home Depot or radio shack probably before and during the install which is what I wanted to avoid. How about this Friday? I'm sure you must have a normal work schedule like most. :D

12. Oct 25, 2011 at 3:20 PM
    =toytruck=

=toytruck= Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TACOMA
  13. Nov 12, 2011 at 9:49 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    Crom,
    I'm attempting this bad boy tomorrow. You down? I should be starting around 10AM and will be using your thread to assist. Should be fun. :D

14. Dec 19, 2011 at 3:42 PM
    ubugarrity

ubugarrity Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    I have the reverse camera video tapped behind the fuse block and sent to my Eclipse head unit. When in reverse, I get the image on the rear view mirror and my head unit. If I shift out of reverse, both images go off. But if I manually turn on the rear view camera through the head unit, the camera works and displays on the head unit only for about a minute. After that, just black screen. It seems like the camera is still getting power for about a minute after you shift out of reverse but the monitor in the mirror turns off. Can anyone explain this and does this mod ANY time you turn it on?

Thanks, John

15. Dec 27, 2011 at 8:19 PM
    IluvTEA

IluvTEA Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC LB 4x4 SR5 Super White
    Cooper ST 265/75/16 on Flat Black TRD OR wheels, window tint, blacked-out badges, front mudflap trim, BHLM, Base Black Rear Bumper Swap, Color-matched grille, Custom Relentless Fab plate bumper powdercoated flat wrinkle black and "TACOMA" backlit with Drunknsloth LEDs, Camburg 2.5" coilovers, LR UCAs, Power sliding rear window, Back-up camera anytime, FX-R projectors/Morimoto 3Five Ballasts/D2S bulbs 5000K, Black WeatherTechs, heated TRD seats with Roadwire Graphite Leather, OEM Roof Rack, front mud flap delete, Black Level 8 Guardians, TreadWright 285/75/16 with KG ...
    Just did this mod and was super easy using the schematic in post 41. When first looking at the pics in the OP it seemed really complicated. All you really need is the schematic and you're good to go. I put the switch down by the foglight switch to fill in one of the blanks. Went to three stores before finding the SPDT switch (auto stores don't seem to carry them).

I'm a novice electrician so my mods usually take 2-3 times longer than advertised but this only took me about 30 minutes. If I would've known it was this easy, I would have done it months ago.

thanks and I'll get pics up tomorrow!

16. Dec 29, 2011 at 4:15 PM
    FFMedic

FFMedic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Newton
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma SR5 MGM
    Anytime fog, Upgraded sound
    Just did this to my '12, works like a champ. Thanks to the OP. Like this position much better than the above the above the mirror.

17. Dec 30, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    Whitster

Whitster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Whit
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    '09 AC w/SR5 & TRD, 6' bed
    I'm getting the same thing with my Kenwood HU. Until I saw your post I was thinking it was something in the HU.
    Looks like the Taco system is still putting out +12V for a short time after coming out of reverse.

I've got a query into Kenwood. I'm wondering if the HU has a switched +12V available coming out of their harness when the rear camera input is activated. Maybe I'll ask Crutchfield they seem pretty checked out.

Whit

Just chatted with tech at Crutchfield and he said Kenwood doesn't provide a switched +12V when camera function is enabled. However he was kind enough to email me the pinout on my Kenwood.

So...just have to find out where that timed +12V is coming from.
    I really don't want the camera voltage on all the time. It would be nice to be able to re-initiate the existing timed voltage when the Taco comes out of reverse. Then we could just ping it when we want it...suppose if we're gonna do that might as well install the SPDT switch...fuhrigg.

18. Feb 28, 2012 at 5:45 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    OP, Great write up +1. 1st time I read through this, and looks simple enough.

19. Feb 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM
    vwbuggsy

vwbuggsy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clinton, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4X4 LB Black Sand Pearl
    N-fab steps, Wet Okole Covers, line-x, tint, vent shades, budget stereo upgrades, weathertech floor liners
    I love this mod, thanks so much for writing it up in detail and with the pictures.

The only difference in how I did it and the write up is that I used a different switch. I didn't see myself needing the rear-view on for very long when I'm not in reverse, just for quick checks, and I was worried I'd forgot to throw the toggle switchback to normal when I was done. So I used a momentary push button style switch instead of the toggle:

Radio Shack part 275-1549
    SPDT Momentary Mini Switch

While the button is pressed in, the rear view camera is on. When it's not pushed in, everything functions like usual. Unlike the toggle switch though you have to be careful which power terminal is hooked to the reverse wire and which one goes to the add-a-fuse. You want the "normally open" (NO) terminal on the switch to go to the add a fuse and the "normally closed" (NC) terminal to go to the reverse wire.

I drilled the blank between the bed AC power button and fog-light switch and placed it there.

BigE likes this.
  20. Mar 1, 2012 at 1:32 AM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    I've left it on by mistake a few times... Didn't matter once the truck was turned off - it went off then.
    Show us a pic of your switch install!

Products Discussed in

To Top