1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd gen, Anytime-On Rear View Camera with Switch on Dash mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Crom, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Jun 8, 2013 at 7:52 AM
    jage

jage Well-Known Member

Member:
    Franktown CO
    Vehicle:
    '010 Silver Double Offroad Leather/Sunroof
    I will, if it's necessary, but I see no reason to just ignore all that nice hardware and wiring that's already there. I'm not just going to slap a 3rd party system on top and ignore the stock setup... gah, it's like putting a TV in front of your TV because you couldn't figure out how to make the input channel work... :confused:

2. Jun 20, 2013 at 4:38 PM
    scorpio382

scorpio382 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D-Man
    Maui Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD off road
    6" BDS Fox lift, Total Caos UCA, Magna Flow exhaust,Westin chrome running boards, E-3 spark plugs,euro rubber antenna,tint,SS Brakes lines, Akebono Brake Pads, Centric Rotors, AFE stage 2 pro dry intake system,JBA Titanium ceramic shorty headers,rain guards,redline EZ down hood & tail gate, Toyota full synthetic oil, any time fog light & rear camera mods, full time 400 watt mod.
    I have a 2012 Tacoma , did all what the pics say to do. It works but when I go into reverse my rear camera don't go on. The camera only works when I use the switch. Can't figure it out.

3. Jun 20, 2013 at 5:39 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    Check your circuit against the simplified diagram I made in this post

I re-hosted the image.. didn't notice until now it had expired off Tinypic.

Bobcdn likes this.
  4. Jun 21, 2013 at 7:33 AM
    Frogsauce

Frogsauce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesapeake Bay
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Offroad
  5. Jun 21, 2013 at 10:19 AM
    scorpio382

scorpio382 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D-Man
    Maui Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD off road
    6" BDS Fox lift, Total Caos UCA, Magna Flow exhaust,Westin chrome running boards, E-3 spark plugs,euro rubber antenna,tint,SS Brakes lines, Akebono Brake Pads, Centric Rotors, AFE stage 2 pro dry intake system,JBA Titanium ceramic shorty headers,rain guards,redline EZ down hood & tail gate, Toyota full synthetic oil, any time fog light & rear camera mods, full time 400 watt mod.
    That isthe way hookeed upthe wires. Ill check cc the wire that goes into the reverse postition wire. . Thanks ill try it again. Ill give back that fixs it.

6. Jun 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    Looks right to me.

Essentially the same as my drawing above, except you have two status LEDs. (and, by your drawing, you've cut the red wire on the other side of the IN1 connector. Electrically, no difference)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  7. Jun 25, 2013 at 9:53 AM
    cstallings

cstallings Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    SOS Front Bumper, SOS Sliders, SOS skids, ARB Rear Air Locker, OME Lift (885x Coils, Nitro Charger Shocks, Dakar Leafs), LR UCAs, Leer Shell, OKLED 30" light bar, Wet Okle Seat covers, etc, etc
    Sub'd...awesome

8. Jul 6, 2013 at 6:06 PM
    teamhypoxia

teamhypoxia MichelinMan

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD OR
    Just used this one today on my '12

My IMMRYO mirror bracket would have prevented me from putting the switch by the mirror and I like it here better anyway.

Thanks for the easy to follow write-up!

9. Jul 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    Mach375

Mach375 Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    I was talking with The Traveler yesterday about this mod, and he says the camera's power supply is 6 volts. This is a head-scratching surprise to me, since it makes no sense to have everything in the truck run on 12v except for one freaking thing! Wtf??
    I'll poke around a bit today and see if I can verify this. Hopefully I can find a/the 6v source so I can do the mod without the timeout.
    The timeout happens, according to The Traveler, because the 12v is cooking the camera, and the thermal protection is shutting it down.

Anyone be able to point me to the thread that discusses the 6v issue? Still looking......

10. Jul 7, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    Whitster

Whitster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Whit
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    '09 AC w/SR5 & TRD, 6' bed
    Might stick a 3-legged 5-volt regulator in there, that 5 V might be enough to run the camera. If not put a diode in the center leg to ground - that'll give you 6.3 volts out.

11. Jul 10, 2013 at 5:04 PM
    jage

jage Well-Known Member

Member:
    Franktown CO
    Vehicle:
    I recall seeing it when I was looking for replacement cameras, i.e. a second bed camera, not monitors. I'll look around for the thread when I get a minute.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/147202-convert-12v-6v-oem-camera.html

and maybe

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...ckup-camera-extra-loom-override-question.html
    my thread but has a link in p#4

hopefully one of those will get you pointed in the right direction, would love a solution to the timeout!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  12. Jul 11, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    Mach375

Mach375 Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    So I haven't had a chance to dive into the camera mod, but while wiring up an override switch for my reverse lights I did find a couple of wires running ~5.5v with ignition on/engine off.
    Since I'm in the middle of last-minute prepping and packing for an 11-day trip to the PacNW, I'm going to be brief.....and not responding for a couple weeks.

I don't remember the threads, and my brief time re-searching for them didn't yield any results, but in a couple of the threads about wiring up an override switch for reverse lights I found that the yellow wire in the (don't know names) connector shown is for the positive side of the trailer plug reverse circuit. While poking around in the connector, two of the pins (I'll revisit this in a couple weeks to let you know which ones) read about 5.5 volts. I suspect one of these pins is for the fuel level sender, as when I unplugged the connector I lost my fuel gauge.

Anyone know if it's possible to tie into either of these wires for a 6v feed to the camera override switch?

For those about to get on my case about posting derp, you can go out and poke around with a multimeter yourself. Driver's kick panel, second or so connector from the bottom, white -- just follow the harness that goes along the door rail and ducks through the sheetmetal under the driver's seat and then goes back to the tail lights. Unplug the connector and poke around with the DC voltage probe the connector half still mounted, leave the ignition on when you probe.
    I wish I had a full, detailed wiring schematic of my truck......

13. Jul 12, 2013 at 8:23 AM
    jage

jage Well-Known Member

Member:
    Franktown CO
    Vehicle:
    I'd guess possible, if it's a ground reading system, but maybe I'm misunderstanding the last part of the thread: It's not like finding or making 5v or 6v is the problem right?

I mean what scarce things I've dug up seem to indicate that the mirror monitor has a screen saver built in, which I take to imply solid state programming. Powering it with 5v, 6v, 12v or trying to fry it with 24v shouldn't change the time it stays on, as it ticks out after 5 minutes- not when it's physically "too hot" or something as there would be variable results on a hot vs. cold day, direct sunlight etc.

So even if you jack into your fuel system, aren't you going to either still need a switch or time out like the rest of us chumps who just slapped it into a 12v line with the much easier add-a-fuse option?

I just want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious, because lower voltage is as easy as finding a radio shack, but I can't imagine it would make anything better.

14. Jul 13, 2013 at 10:22 PM
    hobiesan

hobiesan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    ARE Cap with removable plywood bed/shelf, Bilstein 5100s, LED DTRL, Satoshi Grill, TRD Black Alloy Wheels, Goodyear Duratrac Tires
    I've wanted this feature since I've owned my truck in '09. Just found this on the forum. Great site! sub for later.

15. Jul 16, 2013 at 11:46 AM
    cstallings

cstallings Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    SOS Front Bumper, SOS Sliders, SOS skids, ARB Rear Air Locker, OME Lift (885x Coils, Nitro Charger Shocks, Dakar Leafs), LR UCAs, Leer Shell, OKLED 30" light bar, Wet Okle Seat covers, etc, etc
    Will using a 12v source hurt the display?

16. Jul 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    No. That's the source that it gets when you shift into reverse. This mod just provides it with an alternate 12v source when you click the switch.

17. Jul 21, 2013 at 1:10 PM
    CampGuy

CampGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dmitry
    California
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 TRD-Sport
    Hi Com,
    I just did that mod, and checked it again and again, everything perfect except the camera turned itself off after 5 minutes..!
    :)

18. Jul 22, 2013 at 6:02 AM
    jage

jage Well-Known Member

Member:
    Franktown CO
    Vehicle:
    well if you read you'll find:

irony09.jpg

19. Jul 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM
    CampGuy

CampGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dmitry
    California
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 TRD-Sport
    [​IMG]

This is not even close to resolve the problem.
    Still shutting off after 5 minutes.

20. Jul 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM
    SpruceTaco

SpruceTaco トヨタ

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clearwater, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica TRD Sport
    Tinted windows 5%, sill protectors, TRD stubby antenna, weathertech in channel rain guards, wheathertech floor mats, BHLM, Truxedo low pro qt, DTRL deleted, anytime backup camera, bed storage locks, fog lights on anytime, tailgate theft deterrent, painted engine cover, relocated horns, l.e.d bed lights, l.e.d engine bay lights, l.e.d lights above cup holders, in glove box, rear cup holder, in console storage & cubby next to steering wheel, Grillcraft grill, 17x8.5 SCS Ray10's, 35x12.50 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Borla cat back exhaust, map & dome l.e.d's, TEQ badge on grill, Redline tuning hood struts, Maxtrac spindles, SPC Light Racing UCA's, Bilstein 5100's front set at 0 with OME 885's & extended length Bilstein 5100's in the rear, All Pro expedition leaf springs & 2" blocks, extended brake lines front & rear, 1.5" 4crawler drive shaft spacer, Beefed Taco carrier bearing drop, 1.25" spidertrax wheel spacers on rear, Kenwood DNX570 touchscreen with navigation, 30" led light bar in lower bumper opening, 1/4" top plate spacer drivers side, Bullet Proof Fabricating skid plate, Cali Raised ditch lights & Rago f Fabrication brackets, Amp Research power steps, smoked l.e.d 3rd brake light, Wet Okole seat covers, under cab LED'S tied to dome circuit
    There's a time out on the screen, not sure why but it was mentioned on page 6 of this thread I believe.

Products Discussed in

To Top