1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

09 factory radio issue

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cspcrx, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Jun 8, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    cspcrx

cspcrx [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner Sport TRD
    Our 09 prerunner sport has developed a new tick. It has decided it does not like to be parked outside in the AZ heat any longer and if you park the truck in 100+ heat for a period the radio does not work. The screen is blank or flashes and about the only control you do have is through the steering wheel controls. Any ideas? Anyone else seen this?

2. Jun 8, 2012 at 9:00 AM
    monsterkx2fiddy

monsterkx2fiddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Birthplace of Davy Crockett
    AZ heat is hard on cars and trucks. Its most likely just from the heat. If your still under warranty I'd take it to the dealership nd have them replace it. I had this happen on my last truck until finally it just got too hot nd completely fried. Worse part is I was on a roadtrip and we needed some jams so a quick Walmart stop was in need lol

3. Jun 10, 2012 at 7:29 AM
    TacomaMatt

TacomaMatt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD OR AC 4.0L
    5100s x4; Front @ 2.5 & 1.5" AAL, Truxedo Lo Pro, WeatherTech window deflectors & floor mats
    I had a similiar problem. The volume knob wouldn't work and the display would go balistic. Didn't happen all the time though, only when the radio was on for awhile. Took it to the dealer a few times and they couldn't replicate it in the 5 minutes they fiddled with it. It kept acting up so I took it back and they replaced it. They told me it is a known problem. I suggest pressing the issue. Toyota may swap it out for you. Good luck.

4. Jun 10, 2012 at 7:53 AM
    Chris24

Chris24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Black DCSB TRD Sport, V6, 6sp
    My 09 after sitting in the sun all day does this also. Screen has weird characters or is completely blank...i find that when it's blank, hitting the dash makes it come back on...but when it has weird characters and symbols it usually goes away after it cools down and i restart the truck.

I bought my 09 a few months ago certified, still under the warranty, but they will only replace it if i can bring it when it's acting up (i took a picture they said it wouldn't do) but there's a $50 deductible and that's not worth it to me...so i guess im going to live with it, lol

5. Jun 10, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Had my 09 radio replaced- if you have a 09, and its still under warranty, go get a new radio. Its a known issue. Have not had issues with the new unit since. :cool:

6. Jun 10, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    linkfeeney

linkfeeney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    link the stink!
    aberdeen, nj
    Vehicle:
    09 Doublecab TRD Off-Road! Magnetic Grey!
    when I got my truck... the radio gave me so much problem, it was a known issue... but I had to wait on it.. f that! So i got me a new kenwood! My friend and I hooked it up! OH YEAH!

Products Discussed in

To Top