1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

09 noise in front end on RH side when turning sharp left

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by paidfor, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Sep 2, 2009 at 7:13 AM
    paidfor

paidfor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR 4x4
    Hidden GPS tracking system. Backflip cover, weather techs, bed mat, tailgate lock, OME 885 springs, blistein shocks, 2.5 in AAL/
    I made a U-turn today in the middle of the road. It was a real sharp left turn. I heard scraping in the front end on the right side of the truck. I though I had ran over something. Stopped, got out and found nothing. It was dark. Went ahead and drove to work with no problems.

It is an 09 Tacoma 4x4. I removed the factory steel wheels and put 05 or 07 FACTORY alloy wheels on it....same tires which are 245-75-16.

Any ideas what it could be. soon as I get a break at work this morning, I am going to go out and look at it.
    Any suggestions on where/what to look at?

2. Sep 16, 2009 at 7:41 AM
    runner5

runner5 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 Double Cab LB
    Cap, Nerf Bars
    Hi, I have the same problem and feel it's similar to the previous thread that has no root cause yet. Here is what I posted on that one....

This noise is not Stops or Flaps. I've had it for a while and it started after a fairly gentle 4X4 ride of about an hour duration. At the same time it started I seemed to notice a "solenoid" type sound engaging or disengaging after putting it in gear. Could be unrelated.

The sound to me is the same as if you had it in 4 wheel drive on dry pavement. I think something is not disengaging and the front shafts are turning.

I know it's a reach but I once had a Camaro that made a similar sound in the front and it was actually the Posi in the rear end.

Speculation aside.... Has anyone actually been to the dealer yet? Mine is 45 minutes away and I hate going in without a good lead.

3. Sep 16, 2009 at 8:06 AM
    paidfor

paidfor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR 4x4
    Hidden GPS tracking system. Backflip cover, weather techs, bed mat, tailgate lock, OME 885 springs, blistein shocks, 2.5 in AAL/
    mine may be the stops. I looked at them the other day and they looked dry, rusty looking. I think I will put some greese on them this week and see if it does it anymore.

I have not been back to the dealer either ....about this problem.

4. Sep 23, 2009 at 11:15 AM
    runner5

runner5 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 Double Cab LB
    Cap, Nerf Bars
    I'm just back from the dealer for this problem. Was able to reproduce it for the Tech. After three hours of waiting they said it was from my rear end LSD limited slip differential. They changed the fluid and added a Toyota LSD additive. They told me to give it 1K miles before I determined if it worked. I'm not that optimistic. I feel it is in the front end. I'll keep you posted.

Products Discussed in

To Top