1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

09 not shifting into OD intermittenly

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 65tacodude, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Jan 21, 2011 at 4:53 AM
    65tacodude

65tacodude [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    Manteno, IL
    Vehicle:
    '16 4Runner Trail Barcelona Red
    OEM running boards and roof rack. Yellow fog bulbs and WeatherTech mats and window visors.
    So I have an 09 Double cab V6 with the auto trans and as of lately it hasnt been shifting into OD normally. This is after the truck has been driving for a few minutes and has some heat in the system. I have had the shifting TSB done alittle over a year ago, but dont think that has much to relate to it since that was mainly for low speed shifts. What is happening is once I get up to speed, around 60mph, it doesnt kick OD in. Yes the shifter is in the proper location I guess youd call it. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this before I go to moma Toyota and get the "cannot reproduce problem" story. Now, this is happening in the colder months of the Chicago winter, but my temps have been around the first tick mark on the guage when this happens...Thanks for looking

2. Jan 21, 2011 at 5:04 AM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    Does it still do it after the engine is completely warmed up? Mines Roma are always a lil high and holds gears longer to warm up faster in cold weather

3. Jan 21, 2011 at 12:30 PM
    65tacodude

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    Manteno, IL
    Vehicle:
    OEM running boards and roof rack. Yellow fog bulbs and WeatherTech mats and window visors.
    No, it seems to shift fine after complete warm up. My thing is too that its parked in a heated garage at about 50deg F...and when it sits out at work on these cold days, its fine. I also live off a road that has 14 curves then its highway...

4. Jan 21, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T Quite an experience to live in fear , isn't it ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Why would the dealer have a problem reproducing the problem if it happens so often to you?

5. Jan 21, 2011 at 1:22 PM
    65tacodude

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    Manteno, IL
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, the RPM's doing 60mph go to around the 2500 mark and wont shift down... almost as if I was driving in 4th(yes, Im in D at the time) and if i lift and then get back into the gas to see if I can kick them into the lower gear, nothing just stays at the same RPM...it will eventually change, but just doesnt seem normal.

OZ-T, its not often enough for me to take it to the dealer, if that makes sense. Still kinda intermitten at this time, maybe 2 times a week

6. Jan 21, 2011 at 1:33 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T Quite an experience to live in fear , isn't it ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    There is an easy way to make sure if you are in OD , next time you think this is happening , shift to 4th , if the gear stays the same , you were in 4th , if it drops down , you were in OD (5th)

7. Jan 21, 2011 at 1:48 PM
    65tacodude

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    Manteno, IL
    Vehicle:
    Only thing with that is the RPM's. 60 at 2500 is aweful high for the speed. Normally after its completly warm, I can do 70 at aprox 2000. Ill try shifting it down next time though to see if it would be something with the linkage or solenoid?

8. Feb 4, 2011 at 5:58 AM
    65tacodude

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    Manteno, IL
    Vehicle:
    Ok, so I've kinda determind that this its still in the "warm up" fast idle when its doing this because Ive try shifting down to 4th while its doing it and the RPM's spiked up. Still dont think that is normal for a truck with 44k on it, but now I have another concern to where when Im deccelerating I feel a clunk like if you were shifting out of 4wd. Im wondering if Im losing my mind with this or just kinda ride it out till it gets worse and have the dealer look at it befor the powertrain warranty is up...

9. Jun 3, 2011 at 2:08 PM
    65tacodude

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    Manteno, IL
    Vehicle:
    So, I went into the dealer yesterday to get butt raped for an oil filter and was talking to the service writer about tranny flush or service and brought this up to him. He said he hasnt heard of any issues, but will look into it. Now wheater he does or doesnt, I have confirmed that shifting it down to 4th when this is happening, the RPMs stay constant, then shift up to D( 5th or OD, however you wanna look at it) and it finally kicks in. It mostly happens on cool days after about 3-5 min worth of driving(which everything seems pretty warm after that amount of time). I dunno, just an update if anyone else is experiencing the same.

To Top