1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

09+ rear headrest removal

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by 03blk27, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Dec 26, 2012 at 9:01 AM
    TK421

TK421 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    San Antonio, TX
    This is very helpful. Thanks!

2. Jan 13, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    Xer0 SiN

Xer0 SiN Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hilo, HI
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR 4wd, 6spd
    this and that...
    well. i did this mod, and one of the bolts ended up in no mans land (like stated in the orginal write up) LOL. it was the last bolt, and i didnt bother removing the whole back panel, which made it harder than it really was. all i heard was, the last thread the the bolt slip out of my hand and down the back like a ball in the pachinko machine. i hope it doesnt rattle around down there LOL.

3. Mar 16, 2013 at 3:16 PM
    MLB007

MLB007 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NE Indiana
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner SR5 TRD offroad
    Hey, I occasionally need to carry someone in back and previous owner removed the headrests. Anyone still have theirs lying around?

4. Oct 12, 2013 at 3:15 PM
    wdissident

wdissident Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    orange, cali
    looking at the write up and wondering why i dont have a 1 piece rear window..o well lol

5. May 3, 2014 at 4:04 PM
    Deepfins

Deepfins Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Grover Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 2wd 4cyl
    After reading through this entire thread, I just removed the seats, headrests, and center console out of my 2014 Access Cab Tacoma. It was very easy, and I am not a rocket scientist. The only thing a bit different on the new Tacomas is there are two back panel fasteners in the upper right and left corners of the panel. Each is covered by a small access panel. If you gently pry the panels off, and remove these fasteners, the panel will pop right off. I was able to just pop the top part of the panel off and access the bolts without removing the entire panel. I would agree with one post that what you gain in space might not be worth the trouble of removing the seats and headrests. For me, I already owned a couple of really nice Sterilite storage bins that were just a hair too big to fit behind the front seats, so removing the back seats gave me just enough room to use them. Otherwise, I'd be looking at purchasing new bins.

6. Dec 21, 2014 at 10:16 AM
    siderman

siderman Member

Member:
    hated the space the headrests took up so just popped the upper part of the panel and reached in with a socket, got all 8 screws out no prob. But did drop a socket into no mans land! doh! like someone else said hope it doesnt rattle around too much.......

7. Dec 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM
    JL911

JL911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southeastern PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 access cab 2.7L 5spd
    I must be the only person who doesn't mind the rear headrests. They are kind of pointless, but I like the added privacy they add by blocking part of the rear window. I removed my rear view mirror, so I don't look straight out the back window anyhow.

8. Apr 21, 2015 at 5:24 PM
    Architect

Architect Member

Member:
    So happy I found this post. I owned a 93 extended cab years ago, and now have a 12. I'll be taking those ridiculous head rests out this weekend and seeing how far into the woods I can throw them.... (sarcasm). Then I'm on to building the dog platform.

To Top