1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

09 Reg Cab 4wd satelite radio specific help needed

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by sunruner19, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Nov 30, 2008 at 7:05 PM
    sunruner19

sunruner19 [OP] Senior Senile Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Y
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    supercharger, ARE series 2 lid.
    My 09 came with a satelite capable radio. This means that you have to get the xm or sirus tuner plus the wiring fit kit in order to make this operational.

Other models have this radio, plus a shark antenna mounted on the roof but still need the tuner and wiring fit kit.

On certain models, if the sticker on the window states that you have this radio, and a 3 months free subscription, then this is a complete system and you do not have to order any additional parts to get it to work.

That is my understanding and if I am wrong, then I stand to be corrected. However, getting back to my truck, I have run into the following problems:

There are two wiring fit kits available from Toyota, XM and Sirus.

I ordered the correct tuner and wiring kit for XM radio. What I received was a kit that said it was for XM but did not include the antenna at all. What it did include was a wiring going from the tuner to a connection behind the left kick panel plus a harness to be plugged into a white connector in the same location. Neither connector exists in my truck after careful searching and going thru other forums to look at the photos. The reg cab is NOT prewired unlike the access and double cab models which are.

I also ordered the shark antenna which is color coded, thinking that it would have the antenna lead attached to it. It did not, needless to say. I wanted that antenna because it would give a more factory appearance, rather than the black magnetic mount. In the fit kit, there was a wire lead for this antenna that is supposed to go to the xm tuner. Again, wrong connectors on this too. I went to a site on the internet which shows a wiring harness that would connect to the shark antenna, but the other end has a totaly different connecter, called a smp i think. What I need is a farka connector which would go directly into the tuner, pink in color. After contacting the company, I was told that they do not make a lead with this connector,

The wiring fit kit for the sirus comes with a magnetic mount satelite antenna which is not a shark type antenna, harness, and all necessary accessories to complete the installation.

I went back to the dealership and spoke to the parts dept and they were as confused as I am now not to mention that they werent even aware of any problems.. They could not find anything that would work. Since it was Fri afternoon, it was useless to call Toyota and get help.

Before I ordered anything, I looked at the instructions to wire this setup and in both the xm and sirus, it was stated that the reg cab was prewired for it. Obviously this is not the case, unlike where Toyota states that reg cab trucks are not wired up for the rear cam, nor is it available for this model. It is wired up, right up to the headliner above the mirror and there is a rear cam in the tailgate handle. I know this for a fact cause I have it working now after getting the right mirror.

The funny thing is, I installed a kit and tuner into my Tundra which has a satelite capable radio, and that kit included an antenna. It would also work in the reg cab Tacoma. The problem with that is getting the shark antenna to work. According to the parts dept, they cannot find this antenna lead which is between the shark unit and the xm tuner.

To me it seems that toyota put a satelitel radio into the reg cab and no provision to wire it up. Am I wrong or just totally confused here??

2. Dec 4, 2008 at 12:06 AM
    TightShirts

TightShirts The StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Phoenix... The Land of Lifted Trucks & Dirty Sluts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
    wow, thats sounds a bit ridiculous... i'd try going to a car audio place and showing them all of your equipment and explain your problem, they may or may not be able to help you since everything you bought is toyota stuff, but they should be familiar enough with satilitte radio equipment that they might even be able to get something aftermarket to work with it... i'm still a little confused about what your problem exactly is myself lol, but i'm sure that if i could see it i could understand... if it were me i'd try to return all of that stuff and go for a full aftermarket set-up (like pioneer ;))

3. Dec 4, 2008 at 4:14 AM
    sunruner19

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    There were two main problems here. First one is that Toyota does not have the correct wiring kit for a 09 reg cab 4x4. This is being resolved by a phone call to Toyota customer care and the dealership.

The problem of connecting a Toyota shark antenna to a Pioneer Nav tuner is solved now also. I found on the internet a place called myradio.com based in Long Island City, NY. They had the exact cable with the correct fittings that plugged into the antenna and the nav unit. The nav unit required a Farka connector identified as pink in color with round contacts inside like a cable tv connector. The new cable has a SMP connector which goes to the nav unit.

The difference between the smp and farka is this:
    The pink farka has a rectangle connector with round terminals
    the smp is just a terminal with no outisde housing.

Both are exactly the same other then that housing. I was told that the farka is being discontinued and that the smp will fit older tuners. This is true as far as the pioneer tuner.

There is also another company based out in Denver Co. that supplies this antenna connection called Vais. I chose myradio.com because I live in NY and shipping time was 1 day verse 7

Both companies charge the same price for the cable, $59.00

As far as toyota getting the right kit together for the reg cab, we shall see.
    As far as other toyota truck models, there is no problem as they are all pre wired and the kit works.

4. Dec 4, 2008 at 7:15 PM
    TightShirts

TightShirts The StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Phoenix... The Land of Lifted Trucks & Dirty Sluts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
    so couldn't you just have used an aftermarket antenna and save yourself the hassle?

5. Dec 4, 2008 at 7:47 PM
    sunruner19

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    The aftermarket antenna's did not have the correct plug. Toyota uses what we call a propriety plug. Nothing else supposedly fits.

The whole point of this thread though, was that Toyota does not have the correct wiring fit kit for a 09 reg cab. This does not apply to access cabs or double cabs, as they have the correct kits. The other point is that if you happen to need the cable to connect the shark antenna that comes with satelite radio equipted trucks, toyota parts has no clue what the part number is, as of this writing.

6. Jan 3, 2009 at 5:22 PM
    Soundwave

Soundwave Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD sport Double Cab 4x4
    OEM Roof rack
    I will be getting my 09 Tacoma AccessCab any day now and I too was excited when I saw XM ready on the new 2009 changes specs, but that kinda blows that you have to install the actual receiver! Ford, Dodge, and GM all have Sirrius or XM ready stereos in there Full size trucks with a free 6 month trail subscription ready to go! If the Big Bottom feeder three can do that, Toyota should get on board. It not like these trucks are cheap!!! And no song or artist title on the display is piss poor IMO!

7. Jan 3, 2009 at 6:31 PM
    sunruner19

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4WD
    You will not have to go thru the trouble that I had. Yours is wired for the xm receiver and antenna. All connections are located behind the drivers side kick panel. If you are going to do this xm tuner install yourself, make sure they print out the instructions as they do not come with it. I believe the TRD model does come with a 3 month subscript to xm or sirus, which means everything to operate the satelite radio is already installed in the truck.

I removed the satelite radio that came with the truck and installed a avic z1 xm nav unit that I had previously in my 2007. Atleast I can get song, and artist title on that.

8. Jan 4, 2009 at 12:48 AM
    Soundwave

Soundwave Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD sport Double Cab 4x4
    OEM Roof rack
    Thats true Sunruner19, the TRD's do come with it ready to go with the BL stereo.

To Top