1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

09 Tacoma Auto Trans & Reverse

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by davatk, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Dec 22, 2008 at 6:24 PM
    davatk

davatk [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwestern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Sport Long Bed
    Tube Steps, Hood Deflector, ScanGauage, GPS
    Ok, I have a question that maybe someone can answer just to ease my mind. I was driving to work the other morning and I had to suddently slam on the brakes. When doing so my wife's arm flew up and hit the gear shift. (she was half asleep) I thought it went into neutral, but I noticed the Rear View Camera was on :eek::eek::eek:. I quickly shifted back into drive. I did not think the shifter was in reverse, but honestly it happened so quickly I did not pay too close attention - I was just in a hurry to get it back in drive.

So, now I'm worried that it did somehow shift it into reverse-and if so, was there any damage done. I did not hear anything really strange other then the engine racing (like if it was in neutral). I've read that some new auto trans will prevent it from going into reverse if you are moving foward at a significant speed. :confused:

Anyone have any comments, knowledge or expereince with this (to ease muy mind...)

Thanks !!

2. Dec 22, 2008 at 6:26 PM
    Marioso

Marioso Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    well u did have ur foot on the break so it would be like regular shifting, u have to push thebreak to shift into gears...

3. Dec 22, 2008 at 7:19 PM
    DJ@LLX

DJ@LLX Active Member

Member:
    Reston, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD SPort
    This is a first timer for me, anyone cares to explain???

4. Dec 22, 2008 at 7:35 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    I can tell you that I saw a girl (hot girl) in a jeep one time throw it in reverse somehow at about 35 mph. I was driving in the lane beside/little behind her and saw the reverse lights flash on as i instantly flew past her. I stopped immediately to help her, apparently right as she had accidently hit the shifter while braking the jeep just shut itself off and stopped pretty abruptly. By the time i got back to her jeep she had it back in park still with the engine off, it took like two turns of the key to get it started, she put it in drive went forward about 20 feet towards my truck, the jeep seemed ok, I asked her if she was ok and we went on our way. The good thing is i have seen her in jeep around town many times after so i guess it didnt do too much damage.

5. Dec 22, 2008 at 7:41 PM
    TRD4x4858

TRD4x4858 Taco Traitor!

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    95 Jeep XJ
    BONE STOCK! lol
    It should be fine, it wouldve made a hell of a noise if it actually went into reverse, The planetary gear set inside your transmission wouldve just exploded

6. Dec 22, 2008 at 8:00 PM
    Marioso

Marioso Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    hope u got her number

7. Dec 22, 2008 at 10:43 PM
    Johnson8537

Johnson8537 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT 4x4 Double Cab Long bed
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.
    I have heard our trucks Go into N anytime R is selected and we are moving faster than 10MPH

I dont know this for sure I as have not yet tested it...

ANYONE brave enough to test this out>>>??? hehe
    test 1 at 5mph
    test 2 at 10mph
    test 3 at 15mph
    test 4 at 25mph
    test 5 at 45mph

8. Dec 22, 2008 at 11:55 PM
    norcalbb11

norcalbb11 Nor*Cal

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco Sport 4x4
    flowmaster 40 series, tinted windows, airaid CAI, removed 2nd filter, aries black bull bar
    ive done this before, did your truck turn off? when i did it my truck just turned off so it wouldnt go into gear, and just put it in neutral i believe it was weird but my truck turned off i know that much

9. Dec 23, 2008 at 4:02 AM
    davatk

Member:
    Northwestern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    No the truck didn't turn off - just seemed to be in neutral, but I noticed the Rear View camera was on - which alarmed me.

There is more to the story which may amuse some of you, so I'll go ahead and share. :) The reason I slammed on my brakes in the first place was because their was some buttwipe (non Christian translation - a$$hole), riding my tail very close - who started blowing the horn at me to get over. Well, I'm already doing about 10 miles over the speed limit, passing cars in the slower lane already, so I'm not budging, at least till I get an opening in the slow lane. Well he continues to ride my tail and frantically blow the horn, so I slam on my brakes momentarily to give him a little "suprise" :eek:.

Anyhow, after he finished cleaning up the excrement from his pants, he whipped out into the slow lane, passes me on the right, then gets in front of me and slams on his brakes momentarily. I then see the drivers side window come down, and this guy almost literally has his whole body out the window giving me the finger.

But, getting back to the truck, I start thinking, stupid stuff like - maybe this butthead actually hit my rear end and the truck has a system that turns on the Rear View camera if you are hit from the rear. So, I'm outside in 10 degree weather last nite looking for scratches or dents on my rear bumper. Also, I look in the manual, and see no such feature described. :eek:

Moral of the story - if you are going to retaliate against a tailgater in your Tacoma, make sure your wifes arms are secure. :rolleyes:

10. Dec 23, 2008 at 4:04 AM
    davatk

Member:
    Northwestern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    I read on a Prius forum that a dealer had actually tested the Prius for someone that asked this question, and that 8 MPH was the speed that the prius WOULD NOT go into reverse. So, it is probably that the Tacoma has the same or similar safety system to prevent this.

11. Dec 23, 2008 at 7:40 AM
    norcalbb11

norcalbb11 Nor*Cal

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco Sport 4x4
    flowmaster 40 series, tinted windows, airaid CAI, removed 2nd filter, aries black bull bar
    yeah it was in my 99 tacoma that i hit it in reverse while going down hill and it just shot the engine off it was pretty scary since the brakes dont work to well when the truck is off and i had to try to stop it going down hill haha

12. Dec 23, 2008 at 8:11 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    On most auto gearboxes there is a safety feature which locks out the reverse hydraulic circuit inside the valve body while moving forward.
    If you do happen to engage reverse going forward it simply stalls the motor then freewheels the drivetrain. Or on some electronic gearboxes engages neutral as long as the wheel speed sensors are picking up forward motion.
    So in a nutshell, no serious harm can be done.
    Now I've built some 700R4's and TH400's where you can shell out the box by trying some of those shenanigans. :eek:

13. Dec 23, 2008 at 3:58 PM
    Johnson8537

Johnson8537 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT 4x4 Double Cab Long bed
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.
    In Oregon our Law states "SLOWER TRAFFIC MOVE RIGHT!" (rarely is it followed!)

I would also be pissed off if I wanted to go faster and some person would not move over.... (but this happens all the time..people don't know the laws! or choose to interpret them as they wish.)

I make sure that if someone move over for me i get by then as fast as possible so they don't have to slow down themselves.

On the Autobahn you don't think about getting in the left lane unless you are MOVING and MOVING FAST !! If you see someone approaching in the mirror you move over or you will get ran over!

However I do agree the guy should not have ridden you Butt and been Honking...

Products Discussed in

To Top