1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

09 Tacoma Clutch Assembly Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Rob91326, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Jan 17, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    Rob91326

Rob91326 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Prerunner 4x2 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
    Pro Comp 6" lift, Pro Comp 18x9 Wheels, BFG KO2 33 Tires, AMP Bed Extender, Smitty Built Side Bars.
    I bought my 09 Tacoma PreRunner with Manual Tranny 4 months ago. Only has 43k miles. Love the truck but lately I've been noticing a creaking noise when I shift into 1st gear. I had it at the dealer today for normal maintenance and told the service tech about it. He had the mechanic take a look. Then the service tech told me no worries right now, it is a seal bearing issue in the clutch assembly however this is a costly item to fix later on (about $1200). The tech told me they cannot lube that seal bearing because they'd have to take out the entire assembly. :mad:

After researching it online abit, I noticed it's a fairly ongoing problem with clutch assemblies and Tacomas.

Q. Is the creaking the beginning of the problem.

Q. Am I going to eventually have to change out the clutch assembly completely? If so, how long before it happens?

Q. Can any clutch repair shop fix it or does the dealer need to?

Q. Is there a TSB that I could refer to that they would fix it at no cost?

Q. I really like my truck but is this something I am going to have to deal with regularly? How many miles in between usually?

I'd appreciate your feedback. As you can all imagine, having my truck for only 4 months and this going on, I'm bummed about having to shell out big bucks for a truck I've only had 4 months and only has 43k miles. It's changing gears fine but I hear the creaking going into 1st gear.

2. Jan 17, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I have heard this noise on three different trucks. My 86 Toyota did it. I had the clutch replaced and the clutch fork was lubed at the internal pivot point. No more noise. A year later it started again. No other issues ever for the next five years that I had the truck. Noise was there, but nothing else ever came of it. My previous work truck was an 04 Tacoma. Same noise for the three years I had it. Truck now has a different driver, 150K total, still the original clutch. My 2009 Tacoma that I currently drive at work does it too. It has for the last year or so. It's had maybe 15K put on it since it started. I have been noticing that the clutch is starting to chatter sometimes when I've gotten it warm (not abusing it, just normal traffic). But the clutch in the 09 has always been crappy. It's been squealing under a load starting off on a hill almost since the day we got it. At least that's what the first guy who drove it told me when I took it over. The truck has 60K on it now. It's annoying, but I am not really worried about it given my past experiences.

3. Jan 18, 2012 at 5:16 AM
    Rob91326

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Pro Comp 6" lift, Pro Comp 18x9 Wheels, BFG KO2 33 Tires, AMP Bed Extender, Smitty Built Side Bars.
    Thanks for putting my mind somewhat at ease. I'll just drive on until it becomes a real issue. I sent an email to my Toyota dealership in hopes they'll fix it at their expense since I've only had it for 4 months. Left to be seen...I won't hold my breath.

4. Jan 3, 2013 at 5:45 PM
    Rob91326

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    After doing a differential flush, the creaking noise stopped. Who knew...

To Top