1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

09 tacoma, veers to left

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rc2125, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Oct 15, 2009 at 8:28 PM
    rc2125

rc2125 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indiana/Michigan border
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD
    09 tacoma quad cab, no lift, cooper tires ( 275/65 STT's), 21000 miles on truck and the tires (they are in very good condition still, been rotated twice now). Rotated them a month ago, no issues whatsoever after doing so. Took a road trip last week, about 800 miles round trip, pulling a yamaha rhino on an aluminum trailer the whole way. Nothing abnormal with my steering during the trip. After a few days back in town, I notice when I let off the steering wheel, my truck wants to really quickly veer to the left now? Air pressure is unchanged and equal....same its always been. Treadwear is even, nothing abnormal, still alot left. Took it to the dealer for an alignment........they said they have the latest/greatest alignment rack setup and claim it's in perfect alignment??? Hit the road tonight, drove 140 miles and it actually seems to be getting worse. I'll probably take it back to the dealer, but wondered if anyone has encountered anything of this nature? I've had 4 tacomas now, and actually never needed an alignment on any of them, even up to 200,000miles with various M/T type tires on each one.

2. Oct 15, 2009 at 9:25 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop, piaa, weathertech, westin, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    I've had the exact thing going on ever since buying my truck. A tech from Toyota and I took it for a spin, and when he drove it did the opposite...wanted to veer to the right. He said alot of our roads are rutted, and depending on where you drive on the road it will do this...said the immortal words "it's normal". After having my lift installed and getting it re-aligned it's better than it was. I've also noticed sometimes when I brake the steering wheel wants to abruptly move to the left. I can't reproduce it for the dealer though.

3. Oct 15, 2009 at 10:11 PM
    stevenb5214

stevenb5214 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    sierra vista
    Vehicle:
    silver 09 sport pkg 3 inch lift
    blacked out lights rims 255 75 17 bfg mud terrains 3 inch rough country lift
    ya i have the same problem not so much with the stock tires but just had 255 75 1 bfg muds put on and aligned and now it wants to pull to the left slightly so i don tno its alighed but still does it 7

4. Oct 16, 2009 at 4:58 AM
    rc2125

Member:
    Indiana/Michigan border
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD
    Yeah, when i hit the brakes, it very rapidly goes to the left now.......never did that before last week also.

5. Oct 16, 2009 at 5:37 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    Jack up the frt end and swap the tires. See if it still veers. You may have some belt separation going on.

6. Oct 16, 2009 at 6:04 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Tallahassee FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    265/75/16 BFG A/T, 18" Magnaflow, K&N Intake Filter, Ultra-Gauge, Kobalt Toolbox, Metal Tail Light Guards, Cobra 19 and 4ft fiberglass antenna, Plasti dipped Badges/lower valance/rear bumper/grill/bullbar/ac controls, black DIN kit, JVC KD-X40, Wet Suit Seat Covers
    How did you manage to fit 285s without a lift? I would imagine that would require a hell of a lot of trimming...

7. Oct 16, 2009 at 6:51 AM
    rc2125

Member:
    Indiana/Michigan border
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD
    Oops on the tire size, 275 STT's. Did just find that the dealer/tech lowered the tire pressure all around, to 29 psi.....they looked kinda goin flat at that pressure. Raised em back to 35, probably won't make much diff, but it sways alot less with higher pressure when towing and all.

8. Oct 16, 2009 at 9:39 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop, piaa, weathertech, westin, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    My truck veers to the left if I drive close to the center line, and it veers right if I drive close to the shoulder. It seems the ruts in the road are causing it to happen. I could be wrong here, but I sometimes think it's either due to the tires being a bit wider than most, or the wheel base. The truck just doesn't seem to follow the ruts in the road very well.
    As far as the brakes pulling the steering wheel on my truck, it's weird. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does you have to hang on to the steering wheel, or you'd be heading into oncoming traffic.

9. Oct 18, 2009 at 11:15 AM
    stevenb5214

stevenb5214 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steven
    sierra vista
    Vehicle:
    silver 09 sport pkg 3 inch lift
    blacked out lights rims 255 75 17 bfg mud terrains 3 inch rough country lift
    ya thanks i am going to swap tires this weekend to see if that stops it plus i have the 3 inch spacers to put on the front end you think that the 255 skinny ya 75 17 will look ok with the three inch lift

10. Oct 18, 2009 at 11:23 AM
    rc2125

Member:
    Indiana/Michigan border
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD
    swapped the tires back to the way they were before the alignment and prior rotation(last month).....runs/tracks a lil better.....still with noticeable pull/drift to the left now. All the tire treads look the same, no cups, about 2/3's tread left, even wear all around.........but when the rears get thrown up front, pulls radically to the left? never had tires do that? BUT......on a side note, the dealer stated the truck alignment was "perfect/good and needed no adjusting".....for not needing any "adjusting", there sure are a whole lot of brand new wrench marks on all the alignment/adjustment bolts (and the factory's yellow marker lines on the tie rods are no longer complete lines like they were before. After that, I noticed on the receipt that they noted that they indeed did some manual corrections/adjustments on the left front side.

To Top