1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

09+ URD MAF CAL "Plug-N-Play" Kit

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (2005-2015)' started by nut, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Aug 31, 2012 at 9:17 AM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |
    NO LONGER AVAILABLE.
    THIS IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY

09+ URD MAF CAL "Plug-N-Play" Kit.

I am in the process of moving and can NOT solder kits right now!

Read this post in its entirety prior to PMing me!

Disclaimer: Do NOT install this kit. You need to decide whether or not you feel competent enough to remove these pins from the connectors. You are dealing with the ECU on your truck, if you mess something up, will you be able to fix it? I am in NO WAY liable for anything you do to your vehicle. If you can install this correctly, it is 100% reversible and undetectable should you need warranty work from the dealer. But you can also shit it up and they will know you were tampering with it (if they look for it). That being said, I have installed this on my 2012 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4 4.0L with NO issues.

I am providing all of these instructions free to the public so you can make an informed decision on whether or not this kit is for you. I will offer a 10 day money back guarantee, you pay return shipping, and there is a 10% restocking fee.

These are OEM wiring components from an OEM manufacturer in Japan. All of the FEMALE connectors (the most important) are factory crimp connections and are to OEM standards. All of the MALE connectors are crimped and SOLDERED to the wire leads by me in house. I have them both as close to color coded as I could manage to make the install as easy as possible.

The removal tool (talked about in the wiring manual provided below) I made out of an 0.8mm slotted screwdriver I got from a kit at autozone
    Screwdriver kit
    I used the specs in the manual to file down the smallest screwdriver, maybe even smaller.

There are 2 different sized connectors you are dealing with here. I will call them small and big. B12 and F23, as noted in the URD Install guide, are BIG, the rest are SMALL. I used the 0.8mm on the BIG before I filed it down for the small.

First things first, lets solder that kit to your Maf Cal
    [​IMG]
    That was easy, now lets shrink tube it
    [​IMG]
    And you're done! Repeat with all the wires in accordance to the URD install guide.

Like I said, everything it pretty much color coded so it's as easy as can be.
    Here is the kit:
    [​IMG]
    From left to right:
    E29- ECU Blk/Wht stripe - PCU Ylw/Blk stripe (Small)
    C14- ECU Red/Ylw stripe - PCU Green&Purple (Small)
    B15- ECU Grn/Blk stripe - PCU Yellow (Small)
    F23- ECU Black - PCU Red (Big)*
    B12- ECU Brown - PCU Black (Big)*

* Note, both of the BIG female connections included in the kit are BLACK, I was unable to get one that was brown. The male for F23 is brown though.

So now for the fun stuff!
    DO ONE WIRE AT A TIME!!!! AND TAKE PICTURES SO YOU KNOW WHERE THE WIRE GOES THAT YOU JUST REMOVED!!!

First remove which ever connector you feel like doing first, I recommend starting with the BIG connectors, as they are much easier to remove and will give you practice fro the SMALL ones.

Pop the primary lock up first. Note, if you feel like you have the pin removal tool in correctly but the wire isn't coming out, you most likely accidentally pushed in this primary lock while you were fumbling around with the pin.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am currently searching for the best videos on how to remove the pins. I was unable to have one recorded while I installed mine unfortunately. I have provided the Toyota Wiring Repair Manual that gives a close, well discussed method for removing pins. It is attached at the bottom.

The following pages are good places to start. I would read through this manual to get a good idea how to remove pins PRIOR to starting this project.
    B8-9
    B23-24
    C2

Be extra careful when removing the SMALL pins, these are small terminals and are mildly delicate. You should not have to force anything! If you start to force the little plastic lock inside the connector, you will bend it up into the pin and the only way you will be able to remove the pin is to "yank" it out destroying the secondary "latch" lock. It's not the end of the world as the primary bar lock will hold the pins in, but it not an ideal situation.

Then connect the removed ECU FEMALE to the PCU MALE and shrink tube them together. I read online that if the connection here is a little loose, you can put a small bend in the male to get good contact with the female. You should not have this problem unless you accidentally shove your removal tool into the pin instead of the removal slot when removing the pins. That is not an ideal situation either.

Make sure you seat all the new pins in the terminals all the way. I got a trouble code because one of my pins wasn't locked into the connector, I went through every wire one at a time unlocking the primary lock and pushing in on the wires until I heard one click indicating it had seated properly and was locked correctly. Cleared the code with my ready and have been trouble free for going on 15,000 Miles.

Here is one connector all done and shrink tubed
    [​IMG]

And here is the finished product
    [​IMG]

I will be adding this as I get more Install tips and answer quetions from the community. PM me for any questions, Serious inquiries only PLEASE! I work a lot and will reply back as soon as practicable.

Kit includes:
    All wiring
    Shrink tubing

10 day money back guarantee (from date of receipt), buyer pays return shipping and 10% restocking fee, Kit must not show signs of use or attempted install.

Price is $49 for a complete wiring Kit
    Shipping is FREE to USA, unless you want a tracking number, then add $4.
    For my Canuck friends, a flat rate of $5 will be added.

I will sell replacements should you damage one or feel you need it. Or if you have another wiring project you would like to use this pin reroute method for. 1 Pigtail is $7 Shipped, 2 is $12, 3 is $17, 4 is $22 so on and so forth. Canadians, ask about shipping.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  2. Aug 31, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |
    You WILL need your copy of the install guide from URD. I am trying to get a digital copy I can upload here

EDIT: Maf Cal instructions are attached above!

3. Sep 3, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    ttt

4. Sep 4, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    Commanderwiggin

Commanderwiggin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma D/C 4x4 TRD Sport 6MT Supercharged
    So is it $49 for everything that I need or do I need to source a bunch of stuff at the dealer?

If it's the latter...how much for everything I need all together along with the URD Maf Cal all soldered up ready to go...plug and play setup if you will.

5. Sep 4, 2012 at 3:58 PM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    $49 will get you everything except the removal tool, it is available at autozone for $4. All the wiring and shrink tubing is included.

I re-worded the bottom of the first post. I was just giving the example that if you were to try and assemble this kit on your own, half of it is available from the dealer and the other half from unnamed sources, and would cost you A LOT more money. I have taken the work out of finding the part #'s and Japanese sources.

A URD Maf Cal is $210 on URDUSA.com
    My kit is $49 (See first post for free shipping info)
    Tool is $4
    Total= $263 + shipping/taxes on the Maf Cal

If you want to buy a Maf Cal and have it sent to me and have me solder the kit to the Maf Cal, I will do it for $2 & You pay all shipping charges.

6. Sep 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM
    Commanderwiggin

Commanderwiggin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma D/C 4x4 TRD Sport 6MT Supercharged
    Cool beans, I'm good with soldering and what not but I'm sure there are others that'll take you up on that offer.

That being said...if you were to unplug this fully installed unit for some warranty work how long would you say it would take you worst case scenario...including removal of any interior pieces...lets give a couple work paces: Wife, Forum Junkie, Bolt on Man, Backyard Mechanic, Full Journeyman Mechanic for time bases...I'm the backyard mechanic type and very good with electrical connections and stuff...but I'm sure alot of people will want to know this stuff and it will help you sell things including the URD Cal.

7. Sep 4, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    Good question!

Wife: Depends, can you park your truck in the kitchen?

Just Kidding ;) Probably not something she would want to do.

Forum Junkie: 30-50 minutes pending skill and patience
    Bolt on Man: Probably about the same 30-50 min
    Backyard Mechanic: 15-35 minutes
    Full Mechanic: 10-20 minutes

If you have any experience with these types of connectors, you can easily do it in under 25 minutes. But it could take much longer, and I don't advise rushing anything as important as the ECU. I would set aside a full hour for just in case scenarios. Thanks again for the good questions!!

8. Sep 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    bump

9. Sep 5, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    Taqoma

Taqoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brennan
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    TRD Supercharger, TRD CAI, Camburg LT, Fox 2.5x8 coilovers, Fox 2.0 bumps, Deaver e30 leafs, Fox 3.0x18 triples, Avid sliders, Yaesu 2900R, Pro Comp 7089 16x8, DDM 55w HID Hella 500FF, DDM 35w HID headlights, Magnaflow 11255 muffler, PLX DM-100 OBDII, Autometer Ultra-Lite II Boost gauge, Flex Pod gauge mount, LSK tube bumper, McNeil fenders, Fiberwerx bedsides, 285/75/16 Toyo MT's
    when I'm ready to install my MAF cal I will order up a kit

+1 for doing all the hard work

10. Sep 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled

Thanks!

11. Sep 6, 2012 at 11:08 PM
    XPOTRON

XPOTRON Is LIVE on the GRID.

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefen
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    IG: @ST3F3NS
    DUROBUMPS Use TRON10 for 10% Off & Free Shipping
    subbed! soon ill be looking into getting the URD CAI and URD MAF CAL. this kit is awesome and all but since I have an 08 am I just S.O.L or what options do i have for a kit?

12. Sep 7, 2012 at 2:56 AM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    URD sells a "true" plug and play for $300 on their website. I don't have access to an older truck to see what the wiring looks like. Sorry.

13. Sep 7, 2012 at 3:11 AM
    XPOTRON

XPOTRON Is LIVE on the GRID.

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefen
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    IG: @ST3F3NS
    DUROBUMPS Use TRON10 for 10% Off & Free Shipping
    Thanks man, I actually went and looked alittle earlier, that true plug and play kit works with models up to 08 so im good :cool:

14. Sep 11, 2012 at 8:15 AM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    bump

15. Sep 13, 2012 at 8:38 AM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    ttt

16. Oct 11, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    nut

nut [OP] she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    ttt

17. Oct 11, 2012 at 7:51 AM
    Oury

Oury Texas Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Oury
    Austin, Tx
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    stuff and more stuff
    Be careful with that intake, esp with all the dust in your area. I got rid of my intake due to the same reasons. The URD Intake has no protection being right behind the grille.

18. Dec 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM
    ironman_jon

ironman_jon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Sport
    URD TCAI Wicked Flow 18" 2 10in alpine type r 1500 watt amp MB 72 matte black Custom Bumper Debadged Glassworks fenders McNeil bedsides Helix TB Spacer Intake Manifold Spacer Custom Roof Rack 5x 55w HID SK2 projectors 55w DDM 5k Bulbs Camburg Long Travel Fox Coilovers
    Urd does sale a hydro shield pre filter that protects from water and dust. Its similar to what you would run on a sandrail in the desert to prevent dust from guming up the filter.

19. Dec 11, 2012 at 6:18 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I'd go with Nut's solution vs. paying $300 for the same damn thing. I can help you install it if you get this from Nut.

20. Dec 11, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    ironman_jon

ironman_jon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Sport
    URD TCAI Wicked Flow 18" 2 10in alpine type r 1500 watt amp MB 72 matte black Custom Bumper Debadged Glassworks fenders McNeil bedsides Helix TB Spacer Intake Manifold Spacer Custom Roof Rack 5x 55w HID SK2 projectors 55w DDM 5k Bulbs Camburg Long Travel Fox Coilovers
    I think I need this

Products Discussed in

To Top