1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

0uTkAsT's 4-Banger Base "Build"

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds' started by 0uTkAsT, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Apr 27, 2011 at 3:13 PM
    0uTkAsT

0uTkAsT [OP] Gun Toting Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Avid custom front & rear bumpers, Avid sliders & skid plates, Avid light bar, six 6.5" 100W off road lights, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s front & rear, Deaver AAL, MB 72B 16x8.5" wheels, 33" Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms, aFe dry filter, intake baffle & charcoal filter deleted, MagnaPack 18" muffler & exhaust bend delete, bedside & tailgate vinyls, carpeted bed, 25% tint, painted grille, mudflap delete, Supertop camper, black headlights & tail lights, breather mod, smoked 3rd brake light, recovery gear, mounted shovel, axe, extinguisher, Hi-Lift in Quickfist clamps / XRAC, sway bar delete, debadged tailgate, custom gun rack, bullet antenna, Kenwood double DIN nav, Scosche dash, JBL door speakers, aluminum pedals & shift knob
    Thank you!! Lots more mods coming soon... Lights, bumpers, sliders, campers, etc. :D

2. Apr 27, 2011 at 4:46 PM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4.0L Acces Cab PreRunner
    Shortened antenna, ebay Intake, JBA long tube headers, 2nd set of cats cut out and straight piped, 14" Magnaflow muffler dumped before axle, relocated rear diff breather, Avid off road front bumper. Bilstein 5100's front and rear, OME 885x coils, Light Racing UCA's, 2" Toytec AAL, Hella 700ff lights, Falken Rocky Mountain AT/S 265/75/16 Load E 10ply, Blu Logic handsfree
    Nooooooooooooooooooo.... camper :(

3. Apr 27, 2011 at 8:58 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Avid custom front & rear bumpers, Avid sliders & skid plates, Avid light bar, six 6.5" 100W off road lights, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s front & rear, Deaver AAL, MB 72B 16x8.5" wheels, 33" Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms, aFe dry filter, intake baffle & charcoal filter deleted, MagnaPack 18" muffler & exhaust bend delete, bedside & tailgate vinyls, carpeted bed, 25% tint, painted grille, mudflap delete, Supertop camper, black headlights & tail lights, breather mod, smoked 3rd brake light, recovery gear, mounted shovel, axe, extinguisher, Hi-Lift in Quickfist clamps / XRAC, sway bar delete, debadged tailgate, custom gun rack, bullet antenna, Kenwood double DIN nav, Scosche dash, JBL door speakers, aluminum pedals & shift knob
    It's not a big fiberglass one. I really need a camper (for both the dogs and actually camping in) so I bought a Bestop Supertop that's kinda like a Jeep/convertible roof, it folds down and out of the way when not being used. It's like these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Apr 28, 2011 at 7:36 AM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    Shortened antenna, ebay Intake, JBA long tube headers, 2nd set of cats cut out and straight piped, 14" Magnaflow muffler dumped before axle, relocated rear diff breather, Avid off road front bumper. Bilstein 5100's front and rear, OME 885x coils, Light Racing UCA's, 2" Toytec AAL, Hella 700ff lights, Falken Rocky Mountain AT/S 265/75/16 Load E 10ply, Blu Logic handsfree
    Now thats not that bad...lol

5. Apr 28, 2011 at 8:30 AM
    YotaMan2007

YotaMan2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    where my boots and ruck lay
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 2wd
    K&N Drop-in airfilter, secondary airfilter removed, Satoshi Mod, Kenwood Stereo System, Gibson catback system , Painted Steelies, Offroad Lights, Fatbob's spacer lift
    very nice. the grill looks great. its very hard to tell that it was painted. keep it up man.

6. Apr 28, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    I just bought my black headlights (I know, I could've made them with the BHLM but I work for eBay and I had a ton of gift cards piled up so they only ended up costing me $30 + shipping) and the rest of the stuff for my breather mod so my next "project day" is going to consist of the breather mod, installing the Supertop and headlights, smoking the tail lights, and Plasti-dipping the emblems. :woot:

Thank you!! I appreciate it!

I know, I'm not a fan of campers either but with a single cab it's kinda necessary for the kinda stuff I use the truck for. The Supertop is nice because it isn't ugly and in the way when you don't need to use it, and its a lot lighter than a 'glass shell, too. The black goes nicely with my color scheme too. :D

7. Apr 29, 2011 at 6:32 AM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    I hear ya. I wish I had bought an access cab. Have you ever tried to take a nap in the regular cab? I use my truck for work so i broke down and bought a tool box off craigslist. Beats having all my tools behind the bench... Any toppers are not an option, because I haul a lot in the bed. Ya my bed looks like real truck bed...lol

8. Apr 29, 2011 at 3:43 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Haha yeah I've taken a nap on the bench seat, waiting for a class to start at ASU. I don't use the truck for work but it definitely sees its fair share of hauling. We have two dogs that go pretty much everywhere with us so its nice to have them slightly more secure in the back with a camper (same reason I carpeted the bed, gives them something to lay on and hang on to). It's also nice not to have to pack a tent every time I go camping (which is like 2-3 times a month) and move things into the cab if stopping at multiple stores and such (mild theft deterrent).

9. Apr 30, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Did my breather mod and smoked the tail lights and 3rd brake light today. Tail lights didn't turn out quite the way I wanted them to but whatever, I can pull them back off and finish them better any time.

Sorry for the craptastic cell phone pics.

Start...

[​IMG]

After wet sanding with 1500 grit...

[​IMG]

First coat, kinda wished I would've stopped here...

[​IMG]

Final sanding for the tail lights before polishing...

[​IMG]

And installed back on the truck...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Breather union installed with 1/4" fuel line, Teflon tape, and a hose clamp...

[​IMG]

I went with the storage box exit route vs. exiting by the gas cap...

[​IMG]

10. Apr 30, 2011 at 3:06 PM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    Looks good! Now de-badge it...

11. Apr 30, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Yeah, I'm thinking about doing that... You just use a heat gun to remove them, right?

12. Apr 30, 2011 at 3:25 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD .....

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD DCSB
  13. Apr 30, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    Meh here in AZ... Wait for nice day in July when the temps reach 120F... Use fishing wire to remove the badges then WD40 to remove goo residue. Did it on my truck and looks awesome!

Check out my build... I am local as well!

14. Apr 30, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
  15. Apr 30, 2011 at 6:43 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Haha I was gonna say...

LT trucks are awesome, and I'd love to build one some day, but this is just a daily driven truck that I do mild weekend wheeling in, nothing crazy.

Right on, I'll check it out! And I have a heat gun so that's not an issue... The less gooey cleanup the better.

16. May 3, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Woooo! Got my Supertop and headlights at 5:30 this afternoon. They were both installed by 7 :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes the truck is filthy, don't hate.

Next step: Avid bumpers and sliders!! [​IMG] and I'm shopping for recovery gear, but that's not that exciting.

I'm still debating whether or not I'm going to debadge it or plasti-dip the emblems or just leave it how it is... I'm leaning towards plasti-dip, but I'm still up in the air.

17. May 4, 2011 at 8:32 AM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    Looks good! The tent-topper looks way better then the other camper shells.

The avid front bumper is the best looking out there, I have seen it in person...

18. May 4, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    danteisme

danteisme Well-Known Member

Member:
    pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    05 base 4x4
    you and i are gonna have similar looking trucks pretty soon, except mine is red. but i too just got a bestop (although yours looks like it fits better in the rear), ordered black headlights, i have black wheels, blacked out tails.

19. May 4, 2011 at 4:12 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Not to mention Brandon from Avid is one of the best people in the industry. ;) Thanks man!

Haha sweet. Do you have a thread for your truck yet?

20. May 4, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    himmie

himmie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Visit the Build.
    Bestop=awesome. I can't wait to get one. Where did you order yours from?

Did you figure anything out with the taillights? You should VHT Niteshade next time. That seems to work well.

As for the badges, I just used a hair dryer and fishing line. It's hot enough here that you don't need as much heat as a heat gun puts out. My bedside decals came right off last fall, without any extra heat. Heh.

To Top