1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

0uTkAsT's 4-Banger Base "Build"

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds' started by 0uTkAsT, Apr 1, 2011.

1. 0uTkAsT

0uTkAsT [OP] Gun Toting Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Avid custom front & rear bumpers, Avid sliders & skid plates, Avid light bar, six 6.5" 100W off road lights, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s front & rear, Deaver AAL, MB 72B 16x8.5" wheels, 33" Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms, aFe dry filter, intake baffle & charcoal filter deleted, MagnaPack 18" muffler & exhaust bend delete, bedside & tailgate vinyls, carpeted bed, 25% tint, painted grille, mudflap delete, Supertop camper, black headlights & tail lights, breather mod, smoked 3rd brake light, recovery gear, mounted shovel, axe, extinguisher, Hi-Lift in Quickfist clamps / XRAC, sway bar delete, debadged tailgate, custom gun rack, bullet antenna, Kenwood double DIN nav, Scosche dash, JBL door speakers, aluminum pedals & shift knob
    Nice! I'm going to pick up a can of plasti-dip to black out the emblems and see how I like it before debadging it completely.

The tail lights are still dull, but I haven't had a chance to try the tricks everyone gave me yet. I'm going to get a power ball and try more polishing compound & plast-x, and if that doesn't make them right then I'm going to try stripping the coatings off completely and start over with VHT.

Oh, and I got my Supertop off eBay, with my work discounts and everything I only ended up paying like $550 including shipping. It was a pain in the ass to install the actual vinyl material and windows for the first time, everything was SUPER SUPER tight just like a new Jeep top. I'm letting it stay open for a few days before I even attempt to try finishing the installation... Half of my snaps are still 1/8"-1/4" off so I'm hoping it will stretch and conform enough to get them all fixed in place. That said, even with only half the snaps hooked up it is solid as a rock even at 75-80 MPH so I'm pretty happy with it. My biggest complaint is how dark the damn windows in it are... I can't see a thing out my rear view mirror with it up, and it creates some pretty nasty blind spots too. The blind spot thing wouldn't be an issue on your DC, though.

I got my headlights off eBay too, and only paid something like $47 shipped for them also. Perks of the job. :D

2. TheGrinch

TheGrinch Cheese Head.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    RP, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DCSB OffRoad on 33's
    6" procomp lift
    Niceee work man. Let me know how dipping the badges goes and how you did it if u do. I am saving enough to get some front n rear armor, powdercoat the wheels, and then the badges. Keep it updated on how it goess.

3. danteisme

danteisme Well-Known Member

Member:
    pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    05 base 4x4
    nah not yet, i should make one tho

4. YotaMan2007

YotaMan2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    where my boots and ruck lay
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 2wd
    K&N Drop-in airfilter, secondary airfilter removed, Satoshi Mod, Kenwood Stereo System, Gibson catback system , Painted Steelies, Offroad Lights, Fatbob's spacer lift
    before you use the niteshade make sure tiniting your lights are legal in your state. i almost did but here in georgia it ain't. imo get some aftermarket LED tails that are black or smoked out already because they are road legal.

5. danteisme

Member:
    pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    05 base 4x4
    its not legal here in pa either i dont think. i tinted mine real lightly, and i also masked off the reverse lights so i can still see at night a bit when i put it into reverse.

6. 0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Avid custom front & rear bumpers, Avid sliders & skid plates, Avid light bar, six 6.5" 100W off road lights, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s front & rear, Deaver AAL, MB 72B 16x8.5" wheels, 33" Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms, aFe dry filter, intake baffle & charcoal filter deleted, MagnaPack 18" muffler & exhaust bend delete, bedside & tailgate vinyls, carpeted bed, 25% tint, painted grille, mudflap delete, Supertop camper, black headlights & tail lights, breather mod, smoked 3rd brake light, recovery gear, mounted shovel, axe, extinguisher, Hi-Lift in Quickfist clamps / XRAC, sway bar delete, debadged tailgate, custom gun rack, bullet antenna, Kenwood double DIN nav, Scosche dash, JBL door speakers, aluminum pedals & shift knob
    Haven't you guys heard, everything is legal in AZ :D I drove a '69 Cuda to school and work every day for two years running straight pipes with race bullet mufflers and 13.5" wide cheater slicks... Not one problem except for the "occasional" speeding ticket and noise violations here and there. Oh, and it only had one headlight and no front fenders for about six months :D

Thanks! Will do!

7. BP348

BP348 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Woods, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 4cyl. 4x4
    2" lift up front/rear 4leaf TSB, flowmaster exhaust, k&n filter/CF delete, OEM tool box/AL Camper, black 16" renegade wheels 265/75-16 toyo a/t, custom middle console, Hurst T-Shift, Y-Wire mod, selectable ABS, UGuage, MotoNav, 5/20% tint, seat belt alarm disabled, Pioneer with bluetoof freehand, popo flashlight, big knife 100rds .223, mini14 locked and loaded
    who makes the canvas top on the 1st gen in this pic?

8. YotaMan2007

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 2wd
    K&N Drop-in airfilter, secondary airfilter removed, Satoshi Mod, Kenwood Stereo System, Gibson catback system , Painted Steelies, Offroad Lights, Fatbob's spacer lift

9. 0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    I have no idea, I have a 2nd gen and just found that pic googling tacoma supertop.

lol I <3 AZ... Very gun & car conservative. I could never move anywhere else.

10. YotaMan2007

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 2wd
    whats next on the to do list?

11. 0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Next is my 5100s up front to level the truck out, and within the next few weeks I'm going to have my Avid bumper and sliders on. I'm stoked. I'm getting another bonus at work and possibly a promotion too so the car, truck, and firearm parts are going to be flying around here like it's Christmas [​IMG]

12. 0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Mmmmmk. So, I have an update on the truck after my last trip.

Three things really sucked about this trip (besides a rifle blowing up in my face):

1: Rugged Fail. Yes, they really do fail ruggedly, I had a pretty gnarly sidewall blowout on a soft dirt road at ~20 MPH. I'm guessing maybe I caught a rock inside the tire earlier in the day or something because it popped without warning and on the mildest stretch of dirt road I had driven on all weekend.

[​IMG]

Tire failures happen.

2: Battery Fail. Yep, kaput, in the middle of friggin nowhere. Luckily I wasn't alone and was able to get jumped, but it just took a crap without warning. I think the temperature change did it in.

Battery failures happen.

3: Bestop Fail. Apparently, Supertops for trucks aren't made for freeway use and/or are able to survive strong crosswinds... At 70 MPH on the I-17 heading back to Phoenix, the Velcro at the front of my Supertop separated suddenly, allowing a big gust of air to fill the camper, launching it 10-15 feet into the air and directly at oncoming traffic. It was installed properly. The separation was so violent that the back of the truck itself actually felt like it was lifting in the air for a moment. Catching all that wind so suddenly actually twisted the shit out of the c-clamps that hold it to the bed rails and actually bent the aluminum rails enough to free itself from the clamps. It was totally intact once recovered as the picture shows, so the c-clamps themselves were what let loose after it caught the wind when the velcro failed. I lost a lot of gear on the freeway and it damaged my bed rails in the process. My $600 ejector-top flew off in front of an $80k BMW and a Lexus SUV, but luckily, the other drivers were paying attention and avoided an accident.

[​IMG]

That is definitely, definitely not supposed to happen.

On that note, I'm excited about my new tire. It's a new Hankook Dynapro AT-M. I bought it because that was all the Discount in Flagstaff had in stock at the time, but I'm really liking it so far. Hopefully it's more durable than the Rugged Fails.

[​IMG]

13. 05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4.0L Acces Cab PreRunner
    Shortened antenna, ebay Intake, JBA long tube headers, 2nd set of cats cut out and straight piped, 14" Magnaflow muffler dumped before axle, relocated rear diff breather, Avid off road front bumper. Bilstein 5100's front and rear, OME 885x coils, Light Racing UCA's, 2" Toytec AAL, Hella 700ff lights, Falken Rocky Mountain AT/S 265/75/16 Load E 10ply, Blu Logic handsfree
    Sucks about the bestop... My buddy has Dynapro's on his Tundra and absolutely loves them.... Great tire!

14. danteisme

Member:
    pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    05 base 4x4
    holy crap....is the top salvageable at all? that would suck terribly if not. i'm actually thinking about calling my insurance company to see how much extra it would be to get it covered with my truck.(not sure if it is) i've heard some people say the velcro comes undone in the front, but i dont think i've read anyone ever having it fly off the truck like yours did. crazy man crazy

15. 0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    The top is destroyed; the frame is all twisted up and the fabric itself is pretty jacked after skidding down the highway at 70 MPH. Plus, the clamps are all bent up now and there's no way to really secure it to the bed rails any more. I think the top might have stayed on after the velcro came undone under better circumstances, but the crosswinds were bad that day and it filled with air so quickly that it literally bent the aluminum clamps and it ripped right out of them.

It may not have been the crosswinds even, who knows. All I do know is that the thing was not designed well enough to prevent something like this from happening. The only thing that seals the front of the Supertop to the bed is a strip of velcro and two plastic clips that hold on to the frame that sits on the bed rails, and the only thing holding the entire unit to the truck is four aluminum c-clamps that twisted like a pretzel when force was applied to them. Thinking about it now, I'm not really surprised it failed.

16. McJosh

McJosh avidoffroad.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    2005 Reg. Cab 5 lug Tacoma
    Pioneer AVH-p2300DVD, 12" Memphis sub and Alpine MRP-M650 amp, 32" BFG AT tires and KMC wheels, tinted windows, satoshi grille w/ stainless steel mesh, Avid front & rear tube bumpers, Cobra wx75 CB with 3' firestik, GaragePro bucket seats, FlowMaster 40 series, aFe CAI, Black head lights, LoJack and Autopage alarm installed, Avid sliders.
    sucks man. :(

17. jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    Nice Build Dude!!! I like it :)

18. 0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Thank you! :)

19. jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    I think I found my favorite regular cab :D

20. 0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    I appreciate that :D I definitely love this little truck... There's so much more I'd like to do to it when finances permit, though. :eek:

To Top