1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

0W20 Oil?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by off road, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Aug 2, 2016 at 9:00 AM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
    I talked to the dude in the auto section when they had a Price Break on Reg. Mobil1 $25.88 5qt jug, but they sold out all Reg. Mobil1 0w20 but had 0w20 EP jugs so he gave me those instead at both $25.88 a piece

2.7taco[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Aug 2, 2016 at 9:02 AM
    2.7taco

2.7taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tan Tacoma Base 5 LUG: Beaten , abused and still running strong.
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    Sounds like someone with a little common courtesy. That's a hard find these days.

3. Aug 2, 2016 at 9:03 AM
    Mush Mouse

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    I was surprised too but this guy hooked me up was ready to go to another Walmart

4. Aug 2, 2016 at 9:07 AM
    2.7taco

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    Good deal.
    As mentioned before you can run to 10k on the oil but I'd recommend a sample sent to a lab such as Blackstone. It's a simple way to prevent damage due to oil related issues. The folks there are great people.
    I'd pull a sample at 5k and 7500 and see what they say.

5. Aug 2, 2016 at 9:07 AM
    Mush Mouse

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    I initially was going to do 7500 OCI but read here in another thread some dude was going 15K with Mobil1 EP in his 2.7l truck and wifes Camry too, at I think for 6ok miles or more on the vehicles, no issues. but I may have a Blackstone oil check on mine.

6. Aug 2, 2016 at 9:10 AM
    Mush Mouse

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    if it works out with a Blackstone at 10k miles on the EP they will inform as to how many more miles the oil is still usefull lubricating too, if all goes well then fuck it its 15k OCIs

2.7taco likes this.
  7. Aug 3, 2016 at 5:32 AM
    TRDCal

TRDCal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB Sport MT
    Whatever works for ya bud! I'll stick with my koolaid... ;)

8. Aug 3, 2016 at 6:01 AM
    2.7taco

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    I like the results I've been having with them and I can get them anywhere.:D

TRDCal[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Aug 3, 2016 at 7:50 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    This was my whole point in sharing the info on Motorcraft filters. Use them or don't use them... I honestly don't care what you do. I have no stake in Ford products and I'm not advertising anything despite what Sep1911 believes. I DO CARE ENOUGH to share the information -- it is quick, easy, and certain to stir up a cauldron of crap here on TW! Good grief! For those who choose to use the Motorcraft filters, they are a great value. Everyone just use the filter that spins your beanie, and move on! :thumbsup:

2.7taco likes this.
  10. Aug 3, 2016 at 8:06 AM
    2.7taco

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Well said.

I just couldn't help but poke at the guy. :boink: Especially when all he did was bad mouth rather than provide factual information.

DGXR. So we don't cause a crap storm PM me some filters you've run and oils. Curious to see if we are running or have run the same combinations.

11. Aug 3, 2016 at 8:11 AM
    TRDCal

TRDCal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB Sport MT
    Thanks for posting, information is power :militarypress:. No crap stirred up on my end, just wanted to put my 2 cents in but I could care less what others decide to use on their truck. There are two trains of thought for using the OEM filter. A: Through personal experience with family owned Toyotas and with friends who have worked at Toyota dealerships, I've seen/heard of way too many high mileage "dealer maintained" Toyota's too question the OEM filter. B: If I decide to keep my truck for the long run, where I live and with the mileage that I do, regardless of the filter used, it will rust away long before the motor gives up OR if I decide to sell it, having documentation to show OEM filter has been used will look alot better that a Motormaster filter regardless of which is better. I'm not the only one drinking the koolaid :thumbsup:

EDIT: On the positive side at least a shitstorm of negativity towards Fords didn't start like every video/comment ever posted anywhere. Also @2.7taco I wasn't being sarcastic, I don't have factual evidence to support my opinion because I really don't care what filter someone else uses. Just having a friendly debate.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    2.7taco likes this.
  12. Aug 3, 2016 at 12:44 PM
    2.7taco

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    I too run the Motorcraft. It works for me. :poking:

Just kidding. In all seriousness you were not the one I was referring to. :cheers:

TacomaZL and TRDCal[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Aug 4, 2016 at 5:44 AM
    TacomaZL

TacomaZL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
    WeatherTech Floor Mats; 15" Cragar Black "D" Window Wheels; Custom Center Caps; 235/75/R15 Goodyear Radial Wranglers; "TOYOTA" Tailgate Decal; Magnetic Tool Storage (in Cabin); Stant Locking Gas Cap; Salex Glove box Organizer Debadged; BHLM; Aftermarket Fog lights; FlashWolves 1000 Lumen Reverse lights; DEPO Black LED Tail lights; Differential Extended Breather Mod; FalconZero F170HD+ Dashcam; Scosche MagicMount; Tyger Auto Tri-Fold Pickup Tonneau Cover;
    Mobil 1 is a crap oil? I've heard everything...

Is Mobil 1 the best? No, but is it better than most of the other oils on the market? Yes.

Sometimes this forum drives me nuts with the stupid opinions some people have.

Mush Mouse, AboysTacoma and 2.7taco like this.
  14. Aug 4, 2016 at 7:37 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    So if an engine runs low on oil, then the oil is definitely at fault. Are you serious?
    And there are SO many people with SO much positive experience using M1. But they are all wrong because "M1 is garbage"? OMG dude... just... wow

TacomaZL and 2.7taco like this.
  15. Aug 4, 2016 at 8:24 AM
    tgear.shead

tgear.shead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Should I bother responding to someone who so obviously doesn't know how to read?
    No.

So this message is for everybody else, who may come across your verbal garbage and not realize this fact.

What I implied, is that the crappy oil atomizes or vaporizes, or burns, and blows out the vent.
    While there are multiple reasons why oil level may fall in an engine, some oils just don't like to stick around for long.

And your reasoning that "so many people" blah blah blah... so many people just believe whatever they are told, rather than trying to understand this thing called REALITY.
    Mobile 1 has more marketing than other oil manufacturers. That means that they SAY that they are better than all the others. Does not mean it is true, just means that they say it. Those people I just mentioned, who just believe whatever they are told? They believe the marketing. They don't need or believe evidence, they just believe marketing. Like they believe in imaginary sky creatures who send their only son to die for humanity. Load of crap, but people still believe it.

Mobile 1 disappears faster than other oils of the same weight.
    Mobile 1 makes gear synchronizers not work.
    Mobile 1 is mass produced cheap garbage.

16. Aug 4, 2016 at 11:07 AM
    TacomaZL

TacomaZL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L
    WeatherTech Floor Mats; 15" Cragar Black "D" Window Wheels; Custom Center Caps; 235/75/R15 Goodyear Radial Wranglers; "TOYOTA" Tailgate Decal; Magnetic Tool Storage (in Cabin); Stant Locking Gas Cap; Salex Glove box Organizer Debadged; BHLM; Aftermarket Fog lights; FlashWolves 1000 Lumen Reverse lights; DEPO Black LED Tail lights; Differential Extended Breather Mod; FalconZero F170HD+ Dashcam; Scosche MagicMount; Tyger Auto Tri-Fold Pickup Tonneau Cover;
    Was it really necessary to insult someone's religion in your idiotic, non-sense rant about oil?

What do you use in your vehicle oh mighty one? What oil is to your satisfaction so that use "fools" can be educated?

Mind you, other forums such as Bob is the Oil Guy, where people ARE actually educated, and not just an angry old atheist like you, and regard Mobil 1 as a decent oil. Again, not the best, but still good.

Just do us all a favor and shut up since you clearly don't know how to argue with someone in a respectful way. You can't play nice? Neither can I,

Sincerely,
    A person who believes in imaginary sky creatures who sent their only son to die for us.

17. Aug 4, 2016 at 12:52 PM
    TRDCal

TRDCal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB Sport MT
    Right you are sir. So we should all take your advice and not believe the random guy babbling on about how terrible Mobil 1 is. You don't like it? Don't use it! BAM...problem solved!

moondeath, 2.7taco and TacomaZL like this.
  18. Aug 4, 2016 at 3:37 PM
    2.7taco

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Well said.

19. Aug 4, 2016 at 3:55 PM
    2.7taco

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    In response to your post above stating Mobil 1 Synthetic disappears or evaporates at a faster rate than other oils I say you need to make an apples to apples comparison with factual information.

API, SAE and EMA(Engine Manufacturers Association) all state a specific test be done for each multi-viscosity oil and straight grade(mono grade) oils. This test is known as NOACK Volatility Loss % per Hour at 250 degrees centigrade.
    Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30 has a loss percentage of 10.1% according to a test by PQIA (Petroleum Quality Institute of America). According to the current standard maximum loss in the 5W-30 category a maximum of 15% is allowed. Both Royal Purple and Amsoil Signature tied at 10.9% loss.
    Pennzoil Ultra exhibited a loss of only 6.6%.

These results were from 2013 and are examples of actual results not just conjecture.

Have a great day. :D

TacomaZL likes this.
  20. Aug 4, 2016 at 7:52 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    I doubt facts will test the tgear.shead's unblind faith.

Products Discussed in

To Top