1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1.5" AAL + Axle Shim require new U bolts??

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by RRDave, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Jan 26, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    RRDave

RRDave [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Halifax, NS
    Vehicle:
    08 Black TRD
    CAI, AT2525XL, 2.5" spacer, 1.5" AAL, DNX6140 HU c/w rearview cam, Fog Light Mod, Custom rear dog seat,
    Hey Everyone,

Like the subject says, I'm about to install a 1.5" AAL and would like to install axle shims and a carrier bearing drop at the same time to avoid vibes, but I don't know if I will require longer U bolts. I've been told that they're not required for the AAL alone, but not sure about the shim. Has anyone had experience with this?

THanks,

2. Jan 26, 2011 at 6:34 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    its real close with the shims and aal...
    you should use new u bolts anyway

3. Jan 26, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    X2

4. Jan 27, 2011 at 6:09 AM
    Bama_TACO

Bama_TACO ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

Member:
    Winfield, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Double Cab TRD SPORT
    Let me make a recommendation for you. Don't do the shims and carrier bearing spacer at the same time. I put in a 2" AAL a few weeks ago. I then had start off vibes. Then I ordered the carrier bearing spacer and shims from Toytec. I put the CB spacer on first because it was the easiest. Drove it and the vibes had moved up about 10 mph but were still there. Then I put the shims in and the vibes were again about 10 mph higher. Then I took out the CB spacer and it has virtually no vibes now. So, for my truck the shims alone were the best solution. Just thought I would share and maybe save you some trouble.

5. Jan 27, 2011 at 9:36 AM
    RRDave

RRDave [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Halifax, NS
    Vehicle:
    08 Black TRD
    CAI, AT2525XL, 2.5" spacer, 1.5" AAL, DNX6140 HU c/w rearview cam, Fog Light Mod, Custom rear dog seat,
    Thanks, for the replies,

So Bama, are you saying you think I should just install the lift, then address the vibes if/when they appear?

Is there anyone who has installed a similar product and not had any vibes?

6. Jan 27, 2011 at 9:42 AM
    Bama_TACO

Bama_TACO ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

Member:
    Winfield, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Double Cab TRD SPORT
    Actually, I would recommend that you go ahead and install the shims (since you will have the rear apart anyway). Then I would wait and see if you have vibes before you install the CB Spacer. There are several on here that say they didn't have vibes after an AAL and they didn't use shims or the CB spacer. I think it just depends on the truck. My AAL was more than 1.5" so that could be my issue.

One other thing to note is that if you try to use the stock bolt that holds the leaf pack together with the shims, there isn't much of the head of the bolt sticking through to pass through the shim and drop in the alignment hole in the axle brackets. I ordered new bolts from Toytec and put them in. They have a larger head and have a washer so they protrude through the shim more.

7. Jan 27, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    raswank

raswank Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn,Ma
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Grillcraft, Rear leaf TSB, 5100's at .85, with Eibachs, 265/70/17 BF Goodrich AT/S Tires, Hella 500's behind Grill, Kenwood KDC X995 H/U all Boston Acoustic speakers, JL Audio subs, Kenwood XR5 S amp, ATX Chrome 17x8 wheels
    I ordered the 1.5 AAL from Toytec they came with new center pins. I have the TSB and bought the shims will I still need longer U bolts. Toytec states no, but people that have done it. Does it work with the new oem u bolts? Or which ones should i order from Toytec? They have 2 different sizes?

Products Discussed in

To Top