1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1.5" Front Lift 2017 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Overdrag, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Feb 13, 2017 at 3:24 PM
    Overdrag

Overdrag [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TDR Off Road
    I am new to the site as well as my 2017 Tacoma being my first Tacoma... I just installed Westin step bars but also wanted to lift the front 1.5" to level out the stance and was trying to get some advice on what is the best option. Appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks,

2. Feb 16, 2017 at 6:39 AM
    Minny Taco

Minny Taco For the Horde!

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Off Road DCSB
    - Dobinsons shocks and leaf pack - Level 8 MK6 wheels - 265/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs load C - SPC UCA - Moog LCA - TRD Pro headlights - Bullet Proof Fab skid plate w/ Line-X - 3M Matte Black roof vinyl - Astrostart remote - Debadged - Black shifter bezel - Front window tint 50% - Color matched grill surround - MESO LED red/white map lights - Osram Super Bright H4 bulbs - Headlight Services upgraded wiring harness - Auxito LED reverse lights - Zulu Nylon Gear MOLLE visor cover - Truxedo Lo Pro QT tonneau - Weathertech floor mats - Weathertech vent visors - Redline Tuning Elite hood struts - OEM bed mat - AJT Design custom shift knob - AJT Design custom climate knobs - Center console organizer - Salex glove box organizer - 1" driver seat spacers - AntennaX 14" antenna - AVS door sill protectors - Trimmed OEM mud flaps - Candyapple red tow hook - Painted pinch weld and radiator frame - Custom radio knobs from Hondo Garage - Xtunes black tail lights - Black LED third brake light - Ruff Tuff Kryptek Typhon seat covers - ACEkraut license plate relocation bracket - Cali Raised Side Shooter ditch lights w/ lo-pro mounts - Subaru tweeters + Rockford Fosgate speakers - Thinkware F800 Pro dash cam - Stickers n shit
    Hey, welcome! I'm looking at ways to lift my truck too. Started out with a ReadyLift, which is a body lift kit. It's economical but it's basically blocks and spacers, which kind of get frowned on around these parts. Talked to the guys at my local off road shop a few times, as well as read, and read, and read, posts on TW. I've now decided to get Bilstein 5100 shocks all around with the goal of getting around 2.5" in the front and 1" or so in the rear. My taco is fairly new yet, so I don't think the ride will improve greatly but I know that a suspension lift is the right way to go in the long run.

It all depends on your budget and how you plan to drive your truck. I looked at a Fox system too but that was several hundred dollars more than the Bilstein set up. My advice is to read A LOT. If you have a shop in your tow, go talk to them.

3. Feb 16, 2017 at 9:06 AM
    JT@Bajakits

JT@Bajakits Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Race Trucks and Off Road Suspension
    Welcome to TW!

If you are only looking at 1.5", spacer, coil swap, Bilstein, Coilovers etc...

There are a lot of different ways you can do it.

It'll just come down to how much you want to spend and how the truck is going to be used!

JT

REDdawn6 likes this.
  4. Feb 26, 2017 at 1:08 PM
    Overdrag

Overdrag [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, I am not planning on doing any crazy off roading but at the same time didn't want to break the bank. Found the Blistein 5100s for around $500 and was leaning that way. Just didn't know if it is a one for one swap or if I would need to do anything else as well?

5. Mar 1, 2017 at 7:48 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
    Remove factory shock / strut, install Bilstein in it's place. The front requires a spring compressor to do (or a jerry rigged version of a spring compressor) but the rears just bolt in with no drama. $500 is too much, you should be able to get all 4 3rd gen Bilstein 5100s for $350. Other than the cost of the Bilsteins, whatever labor cost you might incur if a shop does the work, the only other expense is an alignment.

I don't think you'll see a drastically better ride since you have a OR already, but on my base truck the Bilsteins made for a decent upgrade to the very rough factory suspension.

If you opt for the Bilsteins I think 1.5" up front and nothing in back may be a hair much... 1.1" should put you dead level from my research and personal experience. I'm at .65" and am pretty level with a hair of rake. I think you will see slight bro lean with 1.5" up front, exaggerated with anything in the bed squatting the rear down.

6. Mar 2, 2017 at 6:16 PM
    Overdrag

Overdrag [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    Thanks, I didn't even think about the spring compression tool or about having something in the bed of the truck.

Any suggestions of where to find the 5100s?

Also did you do your swap yourself? If so about how long did it take?

7. Mar 3, 2017 at 10:58 PM
    T0DD

T0DD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR 2.7 MT 4x4

I noticed yours has just a slight amount of rake. Could you adjust the blisteins anymore to take that out?

Im thinking about leveling mine out or doing a small lift. Ive always lowered my vehicles, so lifts are new to me.

8. Mar 4, 2017 at 10:15 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
    You could adjust them up to the next notch, 1.1". That should be dead level. I like it as it is, personally.

9. Mar 9, 2017 at 3:32 AM
    bludweiaer

bludweiaer Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2017 Pro DBL Cab,,2020 F3L Spyder...Polaris 800..
    avs rain guards,,,tyger auto tubesteps... stealth SR8's.265/70/17,ridge grapplers..shiftsense pro...
    i would like my 2017 pro to sit level like my 2015 did,, as of now my 2017 sits 3/4 lower in the front,, im thinking of adding this to the front,,i like the non rake look , thoughts ??

Roddy13 likes this.
  10. Mar 11, 2017 at 7:27 AM
    CZ5ANM Taco

CZ5ANM Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB Manual 35x11.5s
    Front Suspension King Ext Fronts 700# Icon UCA delta joints JD fab spindle gussets All Pro cam tabs DuroBumps Warfab steering sleeves Rear Suspension Old Man Emu leafs -Radflo Ext travel rears Timbrens ubolt flip kit SCS stealth 6 Wheels 35x11.5 Maxxis Razr [ 34.5 x 9.75 on 8.5 rim not on truck] Heavy Stuff Relentless front bumper Smitty 3rd Gen winch Big County Customs skid plates Arc One industries rear HC bumper RCI sliders Misc Arb dual compressor Arb rear locker Pelfreybilt fuse panel tray Cali raised ditch light mounts Cali raised bed stiffeners 5th Gen 4runner LED fog lights Racks Retraxone XR tonneau Yakima load bars Sherpa Roof Rack Camping Smittybilt Tent Dometic CFX50 fridge
    You don't need a spring compressor, if you have a nice floor jack.

Takes 2 hours to DIY with a friend and a couple of beers. If you had to do it a second time it would take an hour no beers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jo0FJSi-KYs

Literally only 5 bolts only per side to do the swap.

11. Mar 11, 2017 at 7:44 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    @HeadStrong Off-Road but they're closed until Monday.

HeadStrong Off-Road likes this.
  12. Feb 9, 2019 at 8:17 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
    No, 5100s only.

13. Feb 23, 2019 at 10:38 PM
    Gangsterboogie

Gangsterboogie New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport 2WD
    None yet, that's why im here
    Keeping with the 5100 set up all around, what would be the max tire size on the TRD PRO 17 inch? I'm seeing 265/70/17 as the "highly recommended" for the K02s, but really wanting to squeeze 285s in there. Any thoughts?

14. Oct 6, 2023 at 7:06 PM
    ReconYote77

ReconYote77 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Dbl cab TRD OR, 1998 gen 4runner limited, 1996 Toyota Tacoma 2wd 5 lug
    3rd gen Taco: 1.5" strut spacer HPS silicone intake tube (Red) K&N Drop-in 1.25" Wheel Spacer Airaid throttle body spacer Runner: JBA UCA, Solo motorsports LCA, Freedom Offroad 1"-4" coilovers adjusted .75", .75" spacer (3-4" overall) 33x18 Goodyear duratracs, Tundra brakes, Panhard correction, Overland Customs Forged ball joint Sway bar links, Poly bushings all around. Roof rack.....Lit up like a Christmas tree. Taco: stock.... 30" cheapo mud tires, no cat. 1.5 daystar front level spacer. Custom headache rack with light bar.
    This is my 2017 with 1.5" strut spacer leveling kit for like $35 on Amazon. I was actually impressed. It also has 1.25" wheel spacers and I really like the stance. Both of these also helped the ride quality. The front was too soft before and now the tires ride toward the outside of the road groves so it handles a little better too.

20231005_203309.jpg

Attached Files:

Products Discussed in

To Top