1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1 subwoofer or 2? Why is the IDQ10 better than ID10?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by iamjyoung, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Jan 21, 2009 at 4:35 PM
    iamjyoung

iamjyoung [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Braunfels
    Vehicle:
    Toy
    I am trying to decide between 1 or 2 subwoofers. From what I have read, since the subwoofer boxes are not ported i will not get real low bass.

I am going iwth the pdxs from alpine and wondering if i should get 600 or 1000 watts.

For the speakers I am getting image dynamics xs65 and rear speakrs ctx65 hooking htem to pdx 4 100.

2. Jan 21, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    First off, just because the box won't be ported does not mean it will not play low notes. Ported boxes are used, typically, to boost output in a certain frequency range. Below that range they become very inefficient on their dampening ability (keeping the cone from extending to its physical limits) and can cause the driver to bottom out much easier. This is called unloading.

I'm a fan of getting all the power I can get in a single amp. For me, that is easier to manage than not having enough power. So, I'd say go with the 1000w amp if you have the budget for it.

Good choice on speakers. The ID (at least from what I remember) is the older version of the IDQ. So it is an older model.

3. Jan 22, 2009 at 4:34 AM
    Addicted

Addicted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - Black
    I've got those speakers, IDQ 10v.3 w/ a pdx 1.1000 running them. It is a great setup and you will not be dissappointed. Get two speakers. You will be dissappointed with just one. I hooked up one for about a week until I could get the second one in, and I was not happy with just one. However, once the second got put in it really evened things out and made it sound absolutely great. I'm running the ID XS69 in the front w/ a pdx 4.150 running them. I may go back at some point and put some CTX65 in the rear at some point. Anyway, great speakers and amps!

4. Jan 22, 2009 at 8:15 AM
    iamjyoung

Member:
    New Braunfels
    Vehicle:
    Toy

5. Jan 22, 2009 at 8:17 AM
    sooner07

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I don't agree with Addicted's wording about 1 versus 2. I wouldn't say that you would definitively be disappointed with 1. You can adjust the box volume more with one so that you are getting it just right. Typically I wouldn't use a single 10, but with the added cabin gain from having the sub in the same space (versus being in a trunk), you may very well be quite pleased having one. The additional space would also be nice, as it could be used to mount the amp and crossover for a component set up front or something like that.

I use two, but it is mostly due to already having the subs and amps picked out from a previous install. I would appreciate having some additional space for my component sets amplifier.

6. Jan 22, 2009 at 8:33 AM
    sooner07

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I still stand by my previous post, but will clarify. A tuned ported enclosure will out perform a sealed enclosure in a specific frequency range. Above and below that range the ported box will typically fall off dramatically. The port is optimizing the dampening effect as well as giving additional air movement in the specified frequency range. The effects can be awesome, but you have to be pretty precise with the volumes of the enclosure, the port, and the driver that you are using. A sealed box will typically give a flatter response curve over the entire range of sound. This is also dependant upon the driver being used.

Some speakers benefit more from a ported enclosure than others. This is based on how they play certain frequencies and is inherent to the design of the speaker. If ID is recommending a ported enclosure for your tastes, then they are probably right. My taste prefers a sealed enclosure.

Home audio is very different on how the acoustical environment is setup as well as the material played. Home subs are generally required to play much lower frequencies much closer to 20hz than the typical sub in a mobile environment. Music does not have as much of the very low frequencies as a movie soundtrack will (with explosions and ambient noises being more prominent than in music). Home audio also rarely can take advantage of cabin gain as you would see in a vehicle. Your typical theater or living room has considerably more volume inside of it than a car or truck. These factors push the need for a boost of frequencies in the low range and and increase in perceived volume for this range. Home theater subs also typically don't have the same size constraints as a car does. That is why ported applications are much more common in the home theater side of things.

Also, my home sub is an Adire Tempest in an 8.5 cuft ported enclosure tuned to 24hz. It sounds great and works double duty as a television stand. But it doesn't play music very well, so I have a separate sub that I use when I am listening to a lot of music.

7. Jan 22, 2009 at 10:37 AM
    CRFan1

CRFan1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwest Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Pre-Runner
    DNX5120, Audsion AMp, Hertz Speakers

Wow that is great info!! Now you need to come up to Chicago and install my stereo system. I will provide the beer. :D

8. Jan 22, 2009 at 11:39 AM
    sooner07

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    I'd be more than happy to, however, I do not operate in temps below 60º.

9. Jan 22, 2009 at 3:21 PM
    iamjyoung

Member:
    New Braunfels
    Vehicle:
    Toy
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

10. Jan 22, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    Addicted

Addicted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 - TRD Off Road - Black
    With those front speakers running on my 150 per channel amp, the back needs 2 of those subs. My opinion, sure. However, the difference is dramatic. You could run one and leave the front speakers turned down. He is correct about amp space in the rear, however, I put the pdx 4.150 under the passenger seat w/ plenty of room. Those speakers are crystal clear though, and you will be pleased either way.

Products Discussed in

To Top