1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

101 Atheist Quotes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by DuderAbides, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 3, 2010 at 9:52 AM
    usmcgoose

usmcgoose One shot is all I need

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4
    Not necessarily. Atheism can be taught...take the atheistic family who has a kid. The child is raised in an atheistic home and thus taught atheism.

2. Feb 3, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    NiceGuyEddie

NiceGuyEddie Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chino, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    none yet
    i am a Christian guy, and this was a very interesting read.

aethists are so smart, but most are apparently not smart enough to destinguish between god and man.

one does not negate the other. for example:

- if a christian man is hypocritical, it does not mean god is not real.

have a nice day.

TRDMountaineer likes this.
  3. Feb 3, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...

I dissagre. How can you teach nothing? Well I guess it would be like teaching someone to NOT do something. Like when I house trained my dog, I would rub her nose in it and tell her "baaaddd doogggg" and eventually she didnt do it any more.
    IS this along the same line?

The child would not be "taught" Atheism. He just WOULD"NT be taught religion period.

4. Feb 3, 2010 at 10:17 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    The child would not be "taught" Atheism. He just WOULD"NT be taught religion period.[/quote]

I don't agree with this. I believe that any child whether brought up in a religious home or a home of non-belief would be taught something. I think any family would bring their child up to the values they believe - thus if atheist you would bring your child up to not believe and likely argue with the child if he/she tended to sway away from your values. When the child had questions, just like in a religious home your answer would be in line with your personal belief.
    Lastly, I don't believe an atheist could/would teach a child that there is a GOD whereas I don't believe a religious person would teach a child there is NO GOD.

5. Feb 3, 2010 at 10:26 AM
    usmcgoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4
    The answer is from parents. A child learns and is taught by imitation. Walking is learned by watching and imitating parents. Talking is learned by sound and mouth placement. Fears are instilled by seeing, hearing and imitating. If parents are racist, so shall the child be. If they are Christian, so is the kid. The changes come with education and self-interpretation (learning). Even within the religions, there is a learning process. Whether learning to walk the path of christianity, or to look to Allah, or even to believe no higher being exist, there was a learning process to come to that conclusion.

6. Feb 3, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    Actually, atheists are smart. On average, the education level of atheists is higher than Christians. Not only that, by average, the more religious people are, the less education they tend to have.

Off topic, but interesting anyway, Democrats are more educated than Republicans. This is obviously tied to the above statistic because religiosity and conservatism go hand in hand.

As usual,take statistics for what they are worth. They in and of themselves don't necessarily mean much.

7. Feb 3, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    usmcgoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4
    like they say...98% of statistics are made up on the spot

8. Feb 3, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    Constant

Constant Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Offroad X-Cab
    I think it's important to examine what is truly responsible for violence waged in God's or a god's name. Religion and God have been scapegoats for thousands of years to sate nothing but man's intrinsic need for conquest and power. The same way religion and faith have been manipulated for perverse causes, science and philosophies have as well. Social Darwinism and eugenics are just two examples of pseudo-scientific ideas used to promote adversity amongst our own. When you get to the heart of the problem, its seldom God that is to blame for violent atrocities, its our own yearnings to subordinate those different from us, avarice, ambitions for political and territorial gain, etc etc. There are, of course, instances in history where misguided beliefs have been responsible for wars waged in God/god's name, but using this argument as often as its used excuses the malicious aspects of human nature that are in dire need of address.
    TRDboy, while I'm sure is a nice enough person and would most likely not act on any annoyance he has with a person, exhibits the kind of prejudice I'm referring to. Needless to say by his choice of words, he has ideological and faith differences from others belonging to different groups. It might not have been his intent, but his wording implied that those who believe in God and goto church are sheep incapable of thinking for themselves. Again, it may not have been his intent, but the attitude conveyed was that of frustration and possibly anger. Take these sentiments, magnify them, and place them in the mind of a person in power who is less tempered and you've got yourself a catalyst for war, genocide, you name it. TRDboy, lawl, I'm so not making you out to look like Hitler, im just trying to make a point. I, myself, as we all are, are guilty of harboring prejudices, its our nature.

In regard to the Bible being changed, TRDboy was most likely referring to gnostic writings and apocryphal books found in the septuagint. Researching that will DEFINITELY make an interesting read, however, you most likely wont find anything that'll convince you that the Bible is false or true, altered or unaltered. If anything, you'll be left entertained because the reason that some churches chose to include the apocrypha was for . . . *drum roll* influence for power. Apocryphal writings primarily will validate or invalidate church doctrine that has nothing to do with the nature of God. Praying for the dead (Maccabees), female leadership in the church (Paul and Thekla), etc etc.

Lastly, the point made about different translations was great because its something that goes by unnoticed all the time by many. As much as many of us might think English is an amazing language and it's no wonder so much of the world speaks it. . . its a horribly blunt language. Not as blunt as say, Japanese, but pathetic compared to a language like Greek and Hebrew which are many times more precise than English. You'll usually find anyone whose studies apologetics or theology knows a few of these languages as understanding the Bible correctly and without contradiction requires this. English just doesn't cut it; it's like reading one of those classic novels written for elementary school students. Maybe not that extreme, but you all get the idea.

9. Feb 3, 2010 at 10:46 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    So... is he saying that he's going to keep us all dumb and uneducated? :confused:

10. Feb 3, 2010 at 10:56 AM
    usmcgoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4
    Yeah like watching "Talledega Nights" in Spanish. More specifically, the part where Will Farrell's character was saying

"I'm changing my name to 'El Diablo'!"
    "What's that?"
    "I think it's one of those Mexican fighting chickens with the big Talon."

11. Feb 3, 2010 at 10:57 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    ^^^^^^

12. Feb 3, 2010 at 11:00 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    True, but if you look into it, you'll find significantly more evidence that supports my statements than rebut them. Another interesting one, atheists have a lower divorce rate than Christians. So much for family values.

Yes, you're right. I am prejudiced and do make some blanket statements. However, anyone who says they don't is either lying or denying. As you admitted, you did it too in your post. You made a psychological analysis of my spiritual standing as well as the underlying causes for said standing after reading just a few sentences written by me. I'm damn impressed.:)

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Thank you for at least being honest.

13. Feb 3, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    "blessed are the peacekeepers..for they are the children of god." or something like that. I believe in god, but i think he gave up on humanity a long, long, long, time ago.

14. Feb 3, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    Richman21

Richman21 I think therefore I'm a Democrat

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Sport PreRunner
    Hardwire radar detector. Tube steps.
    One of my observations of religious vs non religious people, is that the religious people are always trying to convert them. I mean, how many times do you hear, "Hey, I don't beleive in God, you should'nt either."?

15. Feb 3, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    kris77

kris77 Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    what do atheist believe in reguard to how the world was formed. Why are there trees, why are there birds, bees, cow, snakes, ants, poison ivy. You name it. Where did ppl come from....evolved from plankton? Where did the plankton come from? Just curious as to what someone who doesnt believe in God think about this.

I mean I believe God created the heaven and the earth and created Man in his own image. I have no idea why he did it...Bored? Lonely? Just to see if he could do it? Questions I'll never get answered....By the way...Why would anybody make such a creature as a mosquito....I'll never know...lol

16. Feb 3, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.

Couldn't resist so went on a Google search. Speaking of Democrats and Gays. I think it depends on where you get your data.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_…
    Education. Self-identified Republicans are significantly more likely than Democrats to have 4-year college degrees. The trends for the years 1955 through 2004 are shown by gender in the graphs below, reproduced with permission from Democrats and Republicans — Rhetoric and Reality, a book published in 2008 by Joseph Fried.[63] These graphs depict results obtained by Fried from the National Election Studies (NES) data base.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Regarding graduate-level degrees (masters or doctorate), there is a rough parity between Democrats and Republicans. According to the Gallup Organization: "oth Democrats and Republicans have equal numbers of Americans at the upper end of the educational spectrum — that is, with post graduate degrees..."[64] Fried provides a slightly more detailed analysis, noting that Republican men are more likely than Democratic men to have advanced degrees, but Democratic women are now more likely than Republican women to have advanced degrees.[65]
    Republicans remain a small minority of college professors, with 11% of full-time faculty identifying as Republican.[66]
    Age. The Democrats do better among younger Americans and Republicans among older Americans. In 2006, the GOP won only 38% of the voters aged 18–29.[55]
    Sexual Orientation. Exit polls conducted in 2000, 2004 and 2006 indicate that about one quarter of gay and lesbian Americans voted for the GOP. In recent years, many in the party have opposed same-sex marriage, adoption by same-sex couples, inclusion of sexual orientation in federal hate crimes laws, the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, while supporting the use of the don't ask, don't tell policy within the military. Some members of the party, particularly in the Northeast and Pacific coast support Civil Unions and adoption rights for same-sex couples.[67] The opposition to some gay rights found in the Republican Party largely comes from the socially conservative wing of the party.[68]

17. Feb 3, 2010 at 11:12 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    ^^ haha...u do realize thats a wiki page and anyone can change it, right?

18. Feb 3, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    I don't agree with this. I believe that any child whether brought up in a religious home or a home of non-belief would be taught something. I think any family would bring their child up to the values they believe - thus if atheist you would bring your child up to not believe and likely argue with the child if he/she tended to sway away from your values. When the child had questions, just like in a religious home your answer would be in line with your personal belief.
    Lastly, I don't believe an atheist could/would teach a child that there is a GOD whereas I don't believe a religious person would teach a child there is NO GOD.[/quote]

Im not following you. So would the child literaly be taught that there is no GOD? Or is that something you just kinda figure out on your own by not being around said religion?

Kinda like someone said earlier, light is made up of "X,Y,Z" but darkenss is just the "absense of light".
    So the child is being taught to NOT believe?

I'm not bashing or anything, just trying to understand your point of view;)

19. Feb 3, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    Whats to say I didn't change it? Thank God I'm an independent.:D

20. Feb 3, 2010 at 11:16 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    The graphs were taken directly from a book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top