1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'11 Prerunner TRD Sport - VSC, LSD, TRAC questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by prerunner11, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Oct 31, 2011 at 4:55 AM
    prerunner11

prerunner11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2011 Magnetic Grey Prerunner Dbl Cab Sport
    Softopper
    New owner of a 2011 DC Prerunner w/ TRD Sport package. I've read the manual and some of the threads on this site regarding the VSC, Auto LSD, and TRAC controls. I'm looking to clarify the general use of these options.

First, starting with VSC on (default/normal) mode. Everyday driving on freeway.

In what situations would I use VSC off and Auto LSD on (pressing the VSC off button)?

In what situations would I use both the VSC off and Auto LSD off (pressing and holding the VSC off button)?

Also, does it matter if I'm in 4/3/2/L gear on my automatic?

Thanks in advance.

2. Nov 1, 2011 at 5:25 AM
    prerunner11

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    MD
    Vehicle:
    Softopper
    No one has any information?

3. Nov 1, 2011 at 4:17 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Sure...

First off... If you get stuck, then a quick press of the VSC OFF button changes TRAC (limited slip traction control) to AUTO LSD (which is traction control without any engine regulation, ie. a stronger limited slip).

IF that doesn't give enough power to the traction tire, or perhaps both tires have no traction, then STOP spinning the tires (stop the truck if moving) and hold down the VSC OFF button for a few seconds and you will turn off the VSC and traction controls for old fashion open differentials... allows the tire(s) to spin freely and perhaps shoot you out of the snow!

Here is the chart:

MODES_of_operation-1_b471e7cd2ee5ff8792509afba2a54dbad1d513c2.jpg

4. Nov 2, 2011 at 5:22 AM
    prerunner11

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    MD
    Vehicle:
    Softopper
    Thank you David K. That's exactly what I was looking for.

So if I cannot get unstuck after using both of those options then it's time to break out the sand bag...or become part of the "If only I had a 4x4" club ;)

With the 3 "modes" depicted in your diagram, do you know if it matters/makes a difference if I'm in gear D/4/3/2/L?

5. Nov 2, 2011 at 7:24 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    That's the right attitude!

Doesn't matter what gear you are in for the 3 modes, only how you want to concentrate your power curve... If you need more power and don't want the truck to up-shift, then shift to L. Gears 2,3,4 are used for controlling downhill speed on the highway.. think of it as a maunual tranny with an automatic clutch! Just don't downshift too soon, brakes are cheaper than a transmissionm, afterall!

David

6. Nov 2, 2011 at 8:07 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Thanks, it and the one made by BGrutter can also be found in my second signature link on the traction controls explained... Here is the other one:

Traction-Control_System_efd26eb33f821b80ac6fe149c447672af114bf45.jpg

7. Jul 29, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    warren84

warren84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Vehicle:
    2011 S/C DC TRD Sport
    2011 Supercharged Double cab Toyota Tacoma MGM Under the hood: TRD Supercharger TRD CAI 1st Gen w/pro dry S filter Custom glass cover for intake Tundra 70mm TB w/urd spacer TRD Oil/Radiator caps DT long tube headers URD o2 sim Flowmaster American thunder exhaust Unichip Redline elite hood struts Blue sea aux fuse block w/150A breaker Cooling panel with magnetic tray and deleted hood prop Optima yellow top battery Anti dark led engine light Suspension: Maxtrax spindles Icon 2.5 coil over w/res ext. w/icon sleeve Custom 28" Icon rear 2.0 w/res ext. Icon billet UCA Allpro expo Allpro flip kit Steel braided brake line (Red) Icon LCA skid plate Wheeler bump stop Deleted sway bar Exterior: 20x14 fuel mavericks 33x12.50 toyo m/t Spidertrax wheel spacers 1.5 (back) TRD Skid Plate Custom Colgan CF Bra Amp powered steps 35% front 5%rear tint OEM roofracks Color match Bushwacker fender flares OEM bed step LED rock lights Ride controller wireless Weather Tech visors Updated recall headlight with glass dtrl lens T-Rex 2 eyelids Curtis class 3 hitch Philips Headlights and reverse led Ridge grill with 20" rough country light bar Pace edwards powered bed cover Ez down tailgate strut Led bed lights with remote strobe function OEM bed mat Custom shocker tinted pixie glass rear mud flaps 20" led light bar in grille Lower bumper mesh grille Interior: 7" Alpine head unit w/nav 8" Headscreens 10" Clarion sub with custom box 600w planet amp Black Wet Okoles Custom glove box organizers icon billet shift knob LED interior Custom interior grip covers Custom Leather w/red stitching center arm rest Vault center console ultra gauge mx Plasti dip doors Leather wrap door arm rest Carbon fiber interior accents Weather Tech floor mats
    I love TW! Great info! Thank you guys

Products Discussed in

To Top