1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

112v power outlet/inverter not working--anybody else have this problem?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by billygoat, May 7, 2012.

1. May 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM
    billygoat

billygoat [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad 4x4
    OME lift, Duratracs, BAMF sliders, Brute Force hybrid bumper, XRC8 Comp winch, raised sleeping platform, shell, breather relocation
    For the first time I tried using the 112v/400w power inverter in my new-to-me Tacoma and when I push the dash button, nothing happens. The lights in the button do not light up, and the outlet in the bed does not supply power. I have a 6spd and have tried turning the inverter on with the engine on and off, in and out of gear. I checked the fuse that says pwr outlet by the steering wheel but it was fine. Has anybody had a similar issue or know where there might be another fuse to check or maybe a relay? Also is the button supposed to pop back up like the clutch start cancel button, or is is supposed to stay depressed like the locker and fog lamp buttons? Thanks.

2. May 7, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    billygoat

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad 4x4
    OME lift, Duratracs, BAMF sliders, Brute Force hybrid bumper, XRC8 Comp winch, raised sleeping platform, shell, breather relocation
    I've done some searching and it seems there are a few other posts on this, but nobody posted any solutions...so, did any of you find and fix the problem?

3. May 7, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB Sport
    Pioneer AVIC-D3, SWI-PS, Sirius Satellite Radio, 2X In-Cab 110V Outlets, Constant Fog Light Mod, Inverter Always 400W Mod, Anti-Pack-Rat-In-Intake Mod, Eibachs on 5100's, 2" Toytec AAL, B.A.M.F Rear Diff Skid, 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires
    In the fuse box in the engine bay, check the 100A fuse closest to the engine. It is labeled AC SKT.

4. May 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM
    billygoat

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad 4x4
    The 100A AC SKT fuse looks good. Do you know which pins/slots I can connect where the AC SKT relay goes to bypass it (test if either the relay or switch are the problem)?

5. May 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    Maticuno

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB Sport
    Pioneer AVIC-D3, SWI-PS, Sirius Satellite Radio, 2X In-Cab 110V Outlets, Constant Fog Light Mod, Inverter Always 400W Mod, Anti-Pack-Rat-In-Intake Mod, Eibachs on 5100's, 2" Toytec AAL, B.A.M.F Rear Diff Skid, 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires
    I do not. I haven't had any issues with mine, but I vaguely recall something about a possible internal fuse inside the inverter. I think I also read something about a possible bad switch.

6. May 8, 2012 at 10:08 PM
    billygoat

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad 4x4
    I looked up some relay schematics and did some testing. If I jump the two perpendicular slots, the inverter puts out power. If I jump the two parallel spades on the relay to the battery, the relay clicks, so the relay should be good. Looks like the switch in the dash is the problem, unless there is a feature in our systems that I am unaware of that would cause the switch to not light up and not flip the relay. Does anybody know where to get a switch other than the dealership?

7. May 8, 2012 at 10:21 PM
    myth01

myth01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    south sf, ca.
    Vehicle:
    08 taco Trd sport
    eclipse nav.-w/ Bluetooth & iPod 3'' revtech add a leaf lift kit snug top ss truck cap dive tank racks in back Aux fuse box Aux back up lights, w/ interior fj cruiser stock switch Back up cam Turn signal cams Interior inverter -switched Aux audio/video inputs -RCA (including iPhone cable)w/ 4 input switch Mag light mount Tyredog stand alone tpms Spare tire extension hose Avid off road light bar(powder coated)
    Make sure the connector on the back of the switch is connected all the way

8. May 11, 2012 at 4:51 PM
    billygoat

Member:
    American Southwest
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Well I did some more testing and found out that the switch in the dash is fine--it is a super simple design, and honestly I don't see this switch ever failing. I also figured out what others have figured out--that there is a switch of some sort built into the inverter that controls the relay in the engine bay. I also found out that there was a loose plug under the center console that was causing my inverter to not turn on...so I plugged it back in and problem solved! Of course, while I had the center console out I had to do the 400w all the time mod and install two power outlets in the back of the center console (naturally).

9. May 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    Maticuno

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    08 DCLB Sport
    Great! Glad it was something simple. Good idea on the 110V outlets in the cab. It should have been a standard feature.

10. Nov 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    Minntiger

Minntiger New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nicholas & Bill
    Vehicle:
    Pre-runner
    ok I am have similar problems with my 06 tacoma. I have replaced the switch and that was not it. I have jumpered the relay under the hood and the system does turn on and works but is not able to figure out where the problem is that the system does not work like it is suppose to.

Is there a wiring scnapic or another modual that comtrols this system that I am missing. I tried the link of the 400W all time and it did not work. And I like the idea of a outlet in the car so I will do that once I can get everything working

PLS Help.

To Top