1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

12" sub w/ box in access cab. No way...Way! Sounds GREAT!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Stu, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Oct 26, 2008 at 8:23 PM
    Stu

Stu [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    Not much yet, got a pretty good sound system w/ my custom sub box. Plan on adding more lights & a tool box.
    Hey Folks, first time posting. Love the site. I designed & built a sub box that fits an old 12" sub (firing down) I had in the old stRanger that hit the road when the Taco came to roost. This thing wasn't easy to build but sounds great now!:D I'll post the list of materials so you can build your own. Haven't seen this anywhere & wonder if I could make some cash building these, what's it worth? I could build a couple??? Might trade for some good 6"'ish 2- or 3-ways for my rear doors?:cool:
    Anyway, you do lose the flip-down seat in an access cab, but I don't use mine for seating anyway. Here are some shots of the unfinished product. I still have yet to carpet it. I'll take some more shots after I carpet and some of the other goodies I have (5-band EQ in glove box, Sat antenna above brakelight). As for seating space, I am about 6' tall and the seat is adjusted so I can just barely press the cluch all the way down, so space is not an issue. It doesn't show it well in the photos. but this thing fits all the way across on top & it has a cut-out for the center hump.
    So, what do you all think?

Sub_Box.jpg
    PA190177.jpg
    PA190178.jpg
    PA190180.jpg
    PA190181.jpg

2. Oct 26, 2008 at 8:27 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    Do you have to remove the seat padding to install the box?? and can you do down firing for this one too??

3. Oct 26, 2008 at 8:33 PM
    Stu

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    Not much yet, got a pretty good sound system w/ my custom sub box. Plan on adding more lights & a tool box.
    Maybe I don't understand. You do lose the rear Dr-side seat. Yes it fires down.

4. Oct 26, 2008 at 8:53 PM
    Brunes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    That answers all my questions...I'll have to get back to my underseat design.

5. Oct 26, 2008 at 8:56 PM
    Stu

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    GL, let's see some photos when you finish.

6. Oct 26, 2008 at 9:05 PM
    Brunes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    Can't wait to see it!!

7. Nov 6, 2008 at 11:58 AM
    nitrus5

nitrus5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i am thinking of getting a powered sub so no worries about an amp bouncing around

8. Oct 7, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    couple of questions. it looks like you have the speaker sitting on the carpet? wouldn't you want a little space (1/2-1 inch) between the floor and the speaker to allow for speaker movement?

why did you remove the seat? would it not fold forward? i'd prefer to leave it in. obviously, i don't expect to be able to flip it completly over, but of course, it would be important to be able to open it since i do store stuff under both seats.

any finished pics?

i think i'll eventually go this route with a slightly modified design. still depating on the side. i was leaning towards the passenger side since the amp will be under the drivers seat and it would be nice to be able to adjust the amp settings without having to pull the sub.

thanks

To Top