1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'13 V6, 4500 miles and my motor may be shot!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hotrod53, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Feb 22, 2014 at 8:00 AM
    happy

happy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle, CO
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB SR5 4x4 Silver Sky
    CBI Moab 2.0, 2.5" Radflo Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, Dakar Leaf Pack, 265/75 16 Kelly Safari TSR, Leer XR100
    Good luck-
    DOES IT MAKE THE NOISE YOU RECORDED ALL THE TIME?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. Feb 22, 2014 at 8:18 AM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    Sorry to hear about your troubles OP, but at least you have the dealer working with you.
    My brother-in-law used the lemon law to get a new truck. It was a little bit of a struggle, but he ended up with a new truck, and no increase in payments or extended payment period, i.e. the payments that you have already made should go towards the new truck. Or otherwise stated, keep the same financing contract, just get a replacement vehicle.

That's if they don't want to give you a new engine.

Attitude is most important. If you treat them with respect and try to stay calm, even though it is tough at some times, you will get a lot further than having a bad attitude.

3. Feb 22, 2014 at 8:18 AM
    2003c5ae

2003c5ae Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    trd sport
    Custom Chrome Running Boards, Black Vinyl Tri Fold Tonneau, Polished Exhaust Tip, Cargo Extender, Glove Box & Console Organizer .
    I would contact a lemon law attorney to get the feel of the land of what to expect. I understand mods to be transfered are a pia and there is a chance of some additional costs with a mileage use fee and possible new truck increase. Dealer support should be expected but will only last as long as Toyota pays on warranty. Make them aware internal repairs are not what is best for you in long run. I would look to lemon law first second a new motor . JMO but your plan to have for 175 fairly trouble free miles is not likely with internal repairs imo with the last 75 k on you if they give you a 100k warranty. Good Luck

4. Feb 22, 2014 at 9:50 AM
    DonL

DonL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Prescott, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    Monster Exhaust, Shell, 5100's all around, Airlift airbags, Hankook Atm, K&M air filter
    I would think they would send out an oil sample to have it analyzed. That would tell them if there was any damage and what might be the cause before the disassemble the engine.

5. Feb 22, 2014 at 2:56 PM
    1usedtacoma

1usedtacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dandoy
    WINTER WONDERLAND CANADA Eh!
    Vehicle:
    AlpWHT TRD Sport 4X4 (w/ HdScoop..LoL)
    None yet… But Soon!!!
    It's an ENGINE CHANGE OUT just listening to the sound of it! If that sound was coming from a 8 year old truck I understand but from a 2013...! No Way...!

6. Feb 22, 2014 at 7:55 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Even the best borescopes at the dealership can't see everything. You can look at a bearing, crank journal, or camshaft journal.

Remember, and check for sure the ruling. Most all lemon laws require that they make an actual REPAIR ATTEMPT for the 3rd time, not an inspection. If they have not replaced a specific component in the engine 3 times, then in MOST (but not all) cases, you will not have the lemon law apply yet. Again, this isn't EVERY case, but the normal.

7. Feb 22, 2014 at 8:10 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    hotrod, which dealership are you working with? I've had a few OK and one or two not so OK experiences with some Toyota dealerships around PGH. I bought my truck from an Indiana PA dealership due to having the best price.

back on topic it seems like something metal hitting metal at some point from that sound. worse than a bad valve and deeper sounding.

8. Feb 23, 2014 at 8:29 PM
    Taco Salad Sport

Taco Salad Sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sport DCSB 4x4
    Sorry to hear that man. I am hearing more and more things about the newer 2nd gen taco's.
    I haven't had any problems with my 2012. It has been nothing but perfect (I catch myself breathing heavy when I drive it's so quiet inside!).

I wonder if the trucks with issues like knocking, outside noise, or your problems are coming from the same factory....

9. Feb 23, 2014 at 9:00 PM
    DaVikes

DaVikes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Colorado Sports Car
    Arb front bumper, warn winch, All Pro rear bumper, OME up front, OME and All Pro Standard in Back, ARB locker, 34 x 10.5 KO2's, 17" Level 8 Trackers, and fancy single piece driveshaft.
    OP, I listened to your recording, and the buzzing noise reminds me of a bearing failure on a fan motor that I heard once upon time. That makes me think, just from the sound, that the noise might be coming from one of the accessories - AC, alternator, perhaps a chain or belt tensioner (and I'm not sure if the Tacoma has any or what kind). Has the dealer actually determined that the noise comes from the engine block and not one of the accy's? Have they taken a stethoscope and tried to identify the location of the noise that way?

It's definitely not something you should have to put up with in a new truck. Good luck with the dealer & Toyota.

10. Feb 24, 2014 at 10:21 AM
    happy

happy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle, CO
    Vehicle:
    CBI Moab 2.0, 2.5" Radflo Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, Dakar Leaf Pack, 265/75 16 Kelly Safari TSR, Leer XR100
    Bump-- hey OP, does the truck make that noise all the time, or does it go away after warm-up?

11. Feb 24, 2014 at 10:34 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
  12. Feb 24, 2014 at 11:59 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  13. Feb 27, 2014 at 5:22 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    Update 2/29/14... Dealer has the motor apart checking seals per direction of Toyota, they find nothing wrong with them. Toyota Engineers were notified today and asked what's next?

We're expecting 12" of snow on Sunday, this is the 4th significant snow storm this year that occurred when my truck was in the shop! My dealer offered to give me a 4x4 tomorrow to replace this Corolla.

I can't wait to get rid of this Corolla! I have a heck of a time buckling the seatbelt because of its location, its too low down beside the seat, my feet freeze in this thing, I keep hitting the friggin source button by accident on the steering wheel radio controls, and I know this sounds like an exaggeration but I swear to you this is true... I knocked a vertebrae out of place getting into the car and I have smacked my head 3 times on the door opening, the roofline is too low. Fortunately I woke the other morning and my neck went POP.... it went back in on its own.

14. Feb 27, 2014 at 5:29 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    Davikes.... The dealer removed the accessory drive and ran the truck, they used a stethoscope and determined that it is best heard from the drivers side front lower part of the block radiating form inside.

Happy.... this noise is most common in cold temperatures and quits after the truck warms up.

Frizzman.... Bob Massie Toyota in Irwin. As stated before, always had a great experience and no complaints about them. I Have been dealing with them for 7+ years and 3 Toyotas.

15. Feb 27, 2014 at 5:59 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Sounds like they're narrowing it down. Hopefully (sometime soon) they decide enough is enough and drop a new engine in it. I don't think the lemon law route is going to work, hopefully I'm wrong.
    Good luck!

16. Feb 28, 2014 at 12:20 PM
    happy

happy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagle, CO
    Vehicle:
    Thanks- yeah, I have a very similar noise, though not quite as bad as parts of the recording. I'm dropping mine off at the dealership this afternoon to be looked into. I'm at 2,200 miles--did your noise get worse over time?

17. Feb 28, 2014 at 1:05 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT

^This^

I had this truck replaced with the lemon law.

arkansasrivervalley7_72e554557a6916e1ead3405b9355d1e074926c5b.jpg

It had the suspension replaced front to back 3 times. At the time I towed a lot of things (27' travel trailer, 16' utility trailer, boat, ATV's, etc...) and I never felt comfortable with towing anything with it. Going over even small bumps it literary felt as if the suspension was coming out from underneath it. After the third time I had had enough. I loved the truck but I didn't trust it. I ended up going through arbitration and GM bought it back.

I hope you don't have to go through all that trouble with such a new truck. I know how frustrating it can be to by something and it not be the way you want it to be. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

18. Feb 28, 2014 at 2:09 PM
    kegman

kegman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Regina sask canada
    Vehicle:
    tacoma trd 4x4 2007
    I mentioned in another reply either here or the other Tacoma forum that if the noise goes away when engine is warmed up then it is piston slap.i have no doubt that's what it is and is completely unacceptable in a new truck. If these guys cant figure that one out god help us all. Ask me how I know?

19. Feb 28, 2014 at 2:22 PM
    TCRAWFORD

TCRAWFORD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Debadged, WeatherTechs, Wheelers Type A steelies, 265/75/16 BFG AT K/O
    My 14' makes a very similar sound when warming up, at least it sounds like that to me. I haven't had a chance to listen to another 14' starting up so I have nothing to compare it to.

20. Feb 28, 2014 at 2:26 PM
    14TACO4X4

14TACO4X4 Mmmmm... Beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    18 RAM EcoDiesel
    Laramie
    Sorry to hear about your issues, man. I hope they get things worked out for you.

Just as a point of reference... when I bought my truck last month, the very next day the check engine and trac off lights came on and the truck showed that it was in D and 2L at the same time. They cleared the code, gave me my truck back and as soon as I got home, the lights came back on.

They had my truck for 5 days and ended up replacing the whole ECM and that fixed it. For that small amount of trouble, Toyota corporate gave me an 8 year 100,000 mile comprehensive warranty. I'd accept nothing less than that if they end up replacing your motor.

Products Discussed in

To Top