1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'13 V6, 4500 miles and my motor may be shot!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hotrod53, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Oct 21, 2015 at 9:47 AM
    mcbagpiper

mcbagpiper Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa, Canada
    Vehicle:
    14 DC/LB TRD Sport
    Tonneaupro hard tri-fold 3D Maxpider floor mats 10g steel skid plate N-Fab steps AVS bug guard & window visors 5100's @ 1.75" 1" steel rear blocks 265/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers Graphite metallic sport rims 20% front tint MBRP dual cat-back exhaust
    I just had my oil changed on my '14 TRD sport (build date Dec 13) and while waiting I mentioned "the noise" to the service tech. I had recorded the noise on my phone as an example, knowing that I'd need to leave the truck for them to start it cold in the morning to validate. However since I was already at the dealership and waiting for my oil change I asked if we could start a couple of 2015's on the lot to see if they had the same noise. One of the service techs came with so I described what I was hearing with mine and then started the 2 sample 2015's they had on the lot to see whether I could hear the same noise. Both of the sample 2015 trucks were perfectly quiet (well...as quiet as a normal Taco engine can be).

So, I'll make an appointment to drop the truck off one evening and show up the next morning to start it and see where we go...the good news with these quiet 15's on the lot is that mine will sound horrible in comparison. Hopefully they don't try to claim mine is the normal one and these 15's are quiet exceptions!

2. Oct 21, 2015 at 12:59 PM
    lanestaco

lanestaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lane
    Guthrie, OK
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    My 2013 started having power/battery problems. Luckily, I had it checked the first time when it was still under warranty. Battery was dead multiple times after they looked at it. Took it back to them again after I was over the mileage limit, but they covered it under warranty since it was the same issue. Turned out a wire covering had been rubbing against something else, exposing the wires inside the coating, causing some items to constantly stay powered...killing the battery.

Wonder if you had the same problem.

3. Nov 12, 2015 at 9:45 AM
    overhill

overhill living the life

Member:
    First Name:
    Clint
    California
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota 4x4 TRD
    Mine does this still... 3-5 min. then when warmed up it kinda goes away into what every one calls the TACO TIC.. I can deal with that, but not the waiting 5 min to be able to drive my truck in the morning.. This is NOT normal and I am
    guessing Toyota has not found the fix yet?

4. Nov 12, 2015 at 10:08 AM
    Monkeybutt2000

Monkeybutt2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Why are you waiting 5mins to drive your truck?

5. Nov 13, 2015 at 9:27 AM
    Arthur Vandelay

Arthur Vandelay Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Off Road
    I just bought a 2015 TRDOR and currently have about 200miles on it. It's been sitting in the airport lot for the past 2 days, can't wait to start it tomorrow.. I have a feeling, for the majority of owners experiencing this noise, it is benign. Will report back.

6. Nov 13, 2015 at 9:40 AM
    Taco1999

Taco1999 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Double cab 4x4 trd
    mine has made said noise since new...26,000 miles so far no issues.

7. Nov 13, 2015 at 11:20 AM
    Ulysiss

Ulysiss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ulysiss
    La Puente, SGV
    Vehicle:
    2013 Long Bed, PreRunner, TRD Sport
    So I dropped of my truck last night started it this morning with the service mangers and a tech the knocking noise is there they said a lot of there trucks do the same thing he said he wasn't going to okay anything but since it under warranty he was going to schedule a Toyota tech to come down and inspect it. He said the inspector might say it's normal nothing to worry about or he can say that he wants to take the engine apart rebuild it if he does decide to do that and the noise is still there after he rebuilds it he might not know what it is and it the truck could be better or worse the service manager did not recommend it. I told him when the tech comes I will speak to him about what he might think it is and what my options are. I'm scheduled to drop it off next week

8. Nov 18, 2015 at 8:05 AM
    Littlemule1

Littlemule1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 SuperWhite Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
  9. Nov 18, 2015 at 8:24 AM
    TacoTaco15

TacoTaco15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM DCSB PreRunner 2.7
    Any news, brotherman?

10. Nov 18, 2015 at 9:53 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    How many people here have pulled their valve covers and checked the valve lash, to make sure that all are in tolerance? Those bucket shims being out of tolerance can also contribute to noise. Although not necessarily the same as the noises others are hearing.

Be good to know if still under warranty. Then they could fix that. Easy do do as well considering how simple our heads are.

11. Nov 18, 2015 at 10:27 AM
    Ulysiss

Ulysiss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ulysiss
    La Puente, SGV
    Vehicle:
    2013 Long Bed, PreRunner, TRD Sport
    No haven't heard from the service supervisor about scheduling a drop of time.

12. Nov 18, 2015 at 12:27 PM
    Littlemule1

Littlemule1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 SuperWhite Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport
    update
    I have been a auto mechanic for 20 years. Now im not claiming to be a master tech ,many of those years was learning on the job
    and i learn new things everyday. This noise doesn't sound normal to me in anyway. Now people wont notice this noise if they jump in fire it up put in gear and go ,you just wont. I only noticed one day when it was a cooler mourning . I let motor warm,park, No load idle 1500 rpm . At that point it was very low millage like 200-300 miles and it was loud like in some of the videos , ill admit i just stuck my head in the ground and ignored it because i don't need any extra problems right now. I did quickly listen to it and thought it trans pump building pressure ,didn't pull front shield and listen to front of motor. I've been modding seats and fighting noisy door seals so i just ignored goat whine. Changed oil @500,@1500, @approx 3200 miles now. after reading this and other threads pertaining to this i pulled my head partially out of sand ,but @ this point my goat whine is probably 50-60% quieter. using a stethoscope and really paying attention i agree that it seems like oil pump or at least loudest in oil pump area. i have yet to bring this to Toyota attention because 1 i don't want my new motor torn apart by someone who could give 2 shits to the longevity of my motor and if the wrong person starts cleaning aluminum surfaces with the wrong methods then hello leaks and problems!#2 i m sure its normal is the main response.
    This is the update part SORRY 4 book.
    checked oil pressure today with a mechanical gauge .
    COLD ENGINE 10 HRS OFF
    SHOT TO A STEADY 72 PSI INSTANTANEOUSLY , VERY SLOWLY DROPPED TO 24 PSI AFTER APPROX 10 MIN . PRESSURE WAS ROCK STEADY (not erratic)AND FELL AS TEMP WARMED . If oil pump is at fault i cant see it via a pressure test. ill keep you all updated as i can.:infantry::quickdraw:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    Torspd likes this.
  13. Nov 20, 2015 at 11:06 AM
    Kodachrome

Kodachrome Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Taco, 2021 Audi eTron GT
    TRD S/C, URD Galore
    I get it once and awhile, goes away after a bit. 165K on a 2005, S/C'd for 115K, runs like a champ.

14. Feb 9, 2017 at 4:52 PM
    btanchors

btanchors Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Herndon, VA
    Well, I have a 2015 that was built in February 2015, according to the door tag. I saw this thread soon after I purchased this vehicle, and mine was not making this noise. Now, I have 26,000 miles on it, and I heard the noise this morning on cold start! Exactly the same noise as others in this thread!

Has anyone else with a 2015 model experienced this noise? Have any TSBs come out about this?

Products Discussed in

To Top