1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

14 TRD OR brake pedal pulse?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mdcmn7, May 11, 2014.

1. May 11, 2014 at 5:45 AM
    mdcmn7

mdcmn7 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    So my new trd or has a slight pulsation under light braking. It's very mild, more like a hum, and goes away if I push down harder. It is definatly not the abs, and is not audible, just a feel

Also, when I hop in the truck I tend to put my foot on the brake, take off the parking brake and then start the truck. The tacoma actually rolls an inch or two when I take the parking brake off before the pedal brakes seem to grab.

It stops fine and feels safe when driving, but my old sr5 never had any sort of feel to the pedal and never rolled when I took the p brake off?

Does the hydraulic booster on the trd have a "feel" to it

2. May 11, 2014 at 6:37 AM
    02Duck

02Duck manuals make it better

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4WD TRD Off Road 6MT
    TRD Exhaust, Mobtown bolt on sliders and aluminum tailgate reinforcement, Reverse lights changed to yellow turn signals, LED pods added for reverse, ADD W1 oil catch can, Total Chaos bed reinforcement, rear diff breather to taillight mod, 12" combo led bars behind lower grill wired to high beams, Toyota led bed light kit, 400 watt anytime mod, SSO slimeline front bumper.
    The brake on the Off Road's have an electric brake booster for ATRAC. It took me a little while to get used to the feel as well. When you say the truck rolls slightly before the brakes grab when you are starting does this happen when the truck is still off? I know with mine when I want to roll down a slight hill a small amount without starting up the truck, the brakes take a second to grab and then they do abruptly. I can actually hear the electric booster start to pump a second after pushing on the brakes with the truck off.

MolonLabeTaco likes this.
  3. May 11, 2014 at 7:18 AM
    mdcmn7

mdcmn7 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    Yes, it is with the truck off. Out of habit when I get in I put my right foot on the brake, and while I am putting the seat belt on I usually take off the parking brake before I start the truck. It rolls maybe an inch or so and then grabs. When it's running there is no rollin/ rocking

It doesent feel dangerous. It's just different

4. May 12, 2014 at 12:00 PM
    02Duck

02Duck manuals make it better

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4WD TRD Off Road 6MT
    TRD Exhaust, Mobtown bolt on sliders and aluminum tailgate reinforcement, Reverse lights changed to yellow turn signals, LED pods added for reverse, ADD W1 oil catch can, Total Chaos bed reinforcement, rear diff breather to taillight mod, 12" combo led bars behind lower grill wired to high beams, Toyota led bed light kit, 400 watt anytime mod, SSO slimeline front bumper.
    Seems normal to me, at least it is what mine does as well. It freaked me out at first but now I'm used to it. What was strange to me is that the brakes feel like they don't do a whole lot with the truck off at first then you hear the electric motor pump, feel the pedal pulse a little and bang the brakes grab. Seems like they grab with the motor off but when it is on they have always been smooth.

5. May 12, 2014 at 12:39 PM
    jtweezy

jtweezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2014 4X4 DCSB OR V6
    I thought I had a problem with the brakes in my '14 TRD OR, but it's good to know what I've been feeling is normal.

I get the same pulsation and subtle vibration (like a hum) on my brake pedal. Brakes work fine, actually they're REALLY strong, so I figured it had to do with the brake booster.

6. May 12, 2014 at 3:46 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Yup its the electric brake booster building pressure is all. Takes a bit to get used to.

7. Dec 6, 2014 at 7:14 PM
    Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Member:
    I recently returned from a trip to the Sierra. While there I noticed a vibration started when I applied the brake pedal. The vibration occurs about 3/4 of the distance as I push the brake pedal. I also noticed what sounds like a small electric motor turning on under the hood that lasts for 3-4 seconds then shuts off. I never felt this vibration before or heard this motor turn on prior to this trip which is weird. Once I returned I immediately checked out TW to see if this was a common problem. Sounds like a few people have experienced this, but why did it start all of a sudden? If the key is out of the ignition and I pump the brake, the sound and vibration does not happen. If I turn the key to the on position (car not running) and pump the brake, it happens. It also happens when the truck running. When driving, It happens just about every time I pump the brakes. Any thoughts? I'm taking the truck to the dealership in a couple of days but honestly I don't trust dealerships. It's a 2014 OR DCSB and is still under warranty.

8. Dec 7, 2014 at 3:33 PM
    13TRDBaja

13TRDBaja Active Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma TRD Baja
    My '13 TRD Baja was doing the exact same thing for about a month - pulsing and or vibrating through the brake pedal, whether slowing down or in Park, I think beginning after a trip down some rough ranch roads in south Texas.

When stopped and depressing the brake pedal you could hear an electric motor whirring, almost grinding under the hood.

My truck did this consistently every other push down of the brake pedal.

And then this past week, it magically quit pulsing or vibrating when depressing the brake pedal......very weird.

9. Dec 8, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    Stuart

Stuart Active Member

Member:
    13TRDBAJA,
    Thank you for the post. Sounds like the exact same issue. I will let you know the outcome from the dealership tomorrow.

10. Jan 6, 2017 at 11:26 AM
    Taco crazy

Taco crazy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chattanooga TN
    Vehicle:
    '97 Tacoma std cab V-6
    Locked front and rear, bumpers, sliders, cage etc..33" Cooper STT PRO's. Mild suspension lift.
    What was the outcome?? I know its a bit late here but searching found me this post, to which I have the same issue.

11. Jan 6, 2017 at 5:40 PM
    uf20wop

uf20wop Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    PBG, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White DCSB TRD OR
    yep... sounds like the booster pump

you get used to it pretty quick. i barely notice anymore

12. Apr 25, 2018 at 1:50 PM
    chueflee

chueflee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chue
    Vehicle:
    2013 toyota tacoma offroad extended cab 4x4 v6
    afe intake, urd spec u headers, urd y pipe, 70mm throttle body, trd supercharger, urd cam gear, urd thermostat, ucon ems
    I have a 2013 TRD OR with 55,000 miles
    I am getting the pedal pulse now after I installed my urd cam gears.
    I never felt it before. Seems to come on after 2 or 3 brake presses. It is the brake booster.
    The dealer can replace it but its like 3000 dollars. My bumber to bumber warranty just ended, so that sucks.
    It still works but it comes on more often and its more noticeable. Pretty annoying....

13. Apr 25, 2018 at 2:52 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    100% normal.

Every now and then i get significantly more vibrations from it (always after going up in altitude significantly + very cold weather) then coming back down. To fix this i simply deplete the stored pressure by having the truck off and pumping the brakes many times, you will feel a change in pedal when its depleted, turn the truck to the on position and wait for the booster to stop pumping. turn truck off and do it again.

Biscuits likes this.
  14. Apr 25, 2018 at 5:44 PM
    chueflee

chueflee Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chue
    Vehicle:
    2013 toyota tacoma offroad extended cab 4x4 v6
    afe intake, urd spec u headers, urd y pipe, 70mm throttle body, trd supercharger, urd cam gear, urd thermostat, ucon ems
    I know I did it. It works thanks !!!

Products Discussed in

To Top