1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'15 SR5 DCSB Wind Noise (SOLVED!!!!)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jerimyr2000, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Jan 12, 2017 at 2:23 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    Hey! They were just installed yesterday, the kazoo noise only happened in high wind areas, so I can't say as yet. Tell you what... If I don't post to the contrary within a month, you may assume that they solved the problem!

2. Jan 12, 2017 at 3:28 PM
    58LesPaul

58LesPaul Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    2" Lift
    I just put some 1/4" black plastic tubing inside the door seal and now with the door closed it isn't flush like the other doors. Is this what all others are seeing? Should that be a big deal?

3. Jan 13, 2017 at 10:32 AM
    58LesPaul

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2" Lift
    Nobody?

4. Jan 13, 2017 at 4:24 PM
    Dustflap

Dustflap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Check out some of the Ford truck forums. On some trucks they used plastic /vinyl tubing becase it was cheap and it ended up being too stiff, causing the door to require a lot of force to close. One guy said the door seal was wearing the paint off the body because the seal was so tight. Also the plastic /vinyl was so stiff in cold weather it would end up cracking and damaging the original seal. They suggest using latex or silicone tubing, which would probably be more difficult to thread through the seal. If the tubing you used cured the problem and you don't have any of the above issues, I would say the door not being flush is only a cosmetic issue. ymmv

5. Jan 19, 2017 at 3:20 PM
    Dustflap

Dustflap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anyone notice the weather strip part numbers on the TSB have not changed from the original ones. Do you think they are really an improved design or the same ??

6. Feb 10, 2017 at 8:03 PM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    Well...a year and half into ownership my '15 DCSB has started howling in crosswinds. My '09 and '13 RCs were not plagued by this. Anyway...having read every post...sounds like two solutions.

1. 7/16" tubing run on the outside, under the door seal.
    2. 1/4" tubing inserted inside the door seal

Sound right?

7. Feb 11, 2017 at 5:17 AM
    tallyman

tallyman Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black 4x4 Tacoma DCSB TRDOR
    I haven't tried any of the listed Solutions yet, and I'm not sure if this has been posted yet , but I did figure out last week that if I turn on the recycle for the air conditioning I don't get as much howling noise in crosswind. But if a really strong crosswind comes along it will howl or squeak briefly. Must be something to do with the air vent flap

8. Feb 11, 2017 at 5:21 AM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    Anytime time the system is set on "fresh" (non recirluate) and the fan on...even just on low, it will create slight positive pressure in the cabin.

over60 likes this.
  9. Feb 11, 2017 at 5:31 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    OP, could you update the first post with solutions please? It would be easier than reading all 10 pages (and growing). I don't have this problem, but a friend just asked me if I know anything about it.

Thanks

TacoTuesday!! likes this.
  10. Feb 11, 2017 at 5:45 AM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    there really isnt a solution yet..it says solved because the noise went away for him, but his solution hasnt worked for everyone.

just ideas

Some ideas have worked for some but not others.

11. Feb 11, 2017 at 5:48 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Thanks Ramon

12. Feb 11, 2017 at 10:37 AM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    Read the above quotes. Toyota acknowledges poor installation of the original weatherstrip. Look at the leading edge of your weatherstrip at the curve of the door, you may see a short deformed section as mine had. Toyota replaced the whole thing, and no Kazoo noise now.

over60 and stbear like this.
  13. Feb 11, 2017 at 11:56 AM
    58LesPaul

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2" Lift
    I took a piece of S-O cord, 3 lead wiring wrapped in a rubber shield, trimmed the end and put the wires in a vice and pulled the shiels=d off. I put it behind door seal and worked like a dream!

14. Feb 16, 2017 at 3:09 PM
    bigcrab

bigcrab Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    of course I'm out of warranty now, thinking about doing this myself, looks the the W/S is only about 50 bucks each. flag time is .6HRs so cant be that hard right ?

15. Feb 16, 2017 at 4:25 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Sounds good. Ask them for a printout of the TSB also. As I recall, it just says to remove the WS , remove the sticky tape, install new sticky tape, and new WS. Look at the leading edge of your old one, you should see the issue being a gnarled up area, so be aware of that and the interface that caused it. I'm guessing here, as I didn't confirm that it was the gnarly spot that was the problem, I just remember seeing it before the replacement.

16. Feb 17, 2017 at 1:25 PM
    bigcrab

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD OR

Where was the gnarly spot, i didn't see anything, except maybe one spot by the mirror. My truck makes the noise alot seems like we get a lot of crosswinds around here.

17. Feb 17, 2017 at 6:22 PM
    dino41

dino41 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, California
    Vehicle:
    2015 Sky Silver Crew Cab V6 SR5 Prerunner
    And I thought I was going nuts. We are experiencing strong winds here in San Diego today and on my way to work this morning I could swear it sound like one of those squeeze bicycle horns. It happened twice today and it came from passenger side. I only have heard it one other time while driving through Central California where the winds were blowing strong that time also. Since it rarely happens, I won't put too much thought into it.

18. Feb 18, 2017 at 5:31 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    You got it, at the front of the door. Any spot that doesn't compress the weatherstrip as it was designed to do. When the wind speed and direction gets in there just right, it's a loud kazoo sound for a split second.

19. Feb 18, 2017 at 8:38 PM
    bigcrab

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    if you are under warranty i would get the TSB done, my truck got worse with age

20. Feb 20, 2017 at 6:06 AM
    Jerimyr2000

Jerimyr2000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerimy
    Vehicle:
    2015 PreRunner Texas Edition
    Can you please list the TSB # if you have it? I am still rolling around with tubing behind my weather strip as a temp fix. The noise is slowly starting to present itself again. Last conversation with the stealership led me to believe that there still was not a TSB released for this.

Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top