1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

$15k Buildup Recommendations for Security Contract

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DHowell, May 3, 2015.

1. May 3, 2015 at 6:31 PM
    DHowell

DHowell [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Good Evening,

Finally found time to sit down and write this up! I hope I'm posting this in the right spot... I see other sub-forums that are more specific but I don't know how much traffic they see. The company I work for is interested in placing a bid on a private security contract to provide 4 off-road capable vehicles. We haven't yet made final selection on the base vehicle, but I'm a fan of Toyota and want to spec something out to present to the team I'm on. I used to own an old Tacoma back in college (so I may be a bit biased!), and am aware they continue to have a good reputation for capability and durability off-road, wich is definitely the vibe I'm seeig here on this forum. I also read that some Tacomas have been purchased for use in the middle east in support of military missions, so this is the vehicle I want to pitch! A family friend has one and he pointed me to this website as a good resource, so here I am to ask for your advice and wisdom.

Fortunately, it looks like the security company already has their own source for actual armor and protection upgrades (windows, plates in the doors, etc.), so we only need to focus on offroad performance and durability.

Everything is obviously still on-paper at this point, and we're supposed to make a final decision by May 15th. One of my coworkers is looking at the Chevy Colorado, and another is researching the Chevy Tahoe for an SUV option (I believe U.S. Border Patrol uses these vehcles). We had talked about diesel for a short bit but there don't seem to be that many diesel options in the light-truck category (?).

I've already worked a tentative quote with a local dealer on the 4x4 "TRD Off-Road" (which I presume is a good place to start?) for approximately $135,000 for 4 trucks, but we may try to shop around for a better price or work through corporate sales (?) -- not sure yet. My boss wants to keep the project under 200K for everything to ensure we're competitive on the contract bid, so that leaves about $15K available for each truck for upgrades and modification.

I must admit that I'm not a big off-roader and so I don't know a lot about what would make a good/great off-road vehicle... hence my post. I did spend a few hours going through the forums here and have taken a few notes, but there also seems to be a lot of different opinions.

So the question I would like to openly pose to the community is: If I needed to spec and modify a Tacoma to be the best, most capable, most reliable, most bad-ass truck it could be, and you had $15K to spend per truck (ignoring labor costs; a different team will handle that bit of the budget), what would you buy?

I have questions but I don't want to prematurely steer the discussion too much at the moment -- I imagine there is an order of precedence to some of these things (i.e. do you select a type & size of tire based on the suspension, or do you select a suspension based on the type & size of tire you want?)

Here a couple of requirements as described in the contract listing (paraphased):
    • must be capable of clearing obstacles 18 inches high
    • must be capable of fording 3 feet of water
    • must be capable of 300 miles range on open & improved roads
    • must be capable of 100 miles range on rough terrain
    • must meet all federal emmissions requirements
    • must not be equipped with any modifications that prevent or inhibit routine maintenance
    The contract listing doesn't really specify a type of terrain (mountainous, desert, etc) -- I sent them a question about it but haven't heard back yet. The rest of the contract is quite long but most of it is just contractual overhead -- what I wrote above are the 'big' requirements that I see... so it looks fairly wide open in terms of what the bids can look like.

I hope nobody minds me doing this -- I figure this is my greatest chance of finding good advice on this endeavour. Thank you so much for any assistance you can provide!

-Dan

2. May 3, 2015 at 6:37 PM
    WheelInTheSky

WheelInTheSky Ramblin' Man

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    Jackson Hole
    Vehicle:
    02 XtraCab 4x4 SR5-speed
    $7500 or less for the suspension wheels and tires, the rest is play-money.
    Range isn't a problem, those requirements can be met stock, although after modding maybe look into larger fuel tank?
    I guess spend the rest of the money on armour!

Good luck on your quest, I'm sure you'll get lots of great advice here. Now to let someone more knowledgeable chime in...

3. May 3, 2015 at 7:00 PM
    SGTCap

SGTCap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    4x4 6-spd,
    37s, 4x4 6-spd, OME 886s, Allpro Expos, SOS sliders and front/rear bumpers,Rack,Skids, 4.56s, Lockers,Recon Winch, TJM RTT, Lots of tools, boxes and gear. Shaggy mutt behind the seat
    Contact SOS Concepts for their "Zombie Kit" which is a great deal on a package deal for front and rear bumpers, and rock sliders. He can add skids too. That will cover the armor.

4. May 3, 2015 at 8:10 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    SAS ftw that is all.

5. May 3, 2015 at 8:14 PM
    bluewaters182

bluewaters182 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner TRD premium
    Weathertech Mats, Leer 180 Cap, Icon 2.5 coilovers w/700lb springs, Icon UCA, fox 2.0 remote resi 10" travel rear shocks, nitro 4.56 gears, carrier bearing drop, Level 8 guardian rims 16 x 8.5, 315/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx, satoshi grill, shorty antenna, BHLM, color matched eyelids, rear diff breather relocated, exhaust chop, mudflap delete, debadged, All Pro front bumper powder coated white, smittybilt x2o 8 comp winch, SOS sliders, illumination supply 30" single row led bar, uniden 880 CB w/2' firestick on relentless fab hood mount, full AllPro skids, AllPro expo leaf springs, AllPro U bolt flip, Ultraguage, interior LEDs , trimmed fenders and flares 2", AP ext brake lines, CMC, fire wall massage, pelfreybilt battery box, diehard group 31 battery, Kragen 7" HID, homemade HiLift mount, Yaesu ft-8900, Ellis precision AT shifter, EBC yellowstuff & sport rotors, PIAA 510 fogs, Safari snorkel
    Upgrade suspension to midtravel with heavy springs front and rear to compensate for weight of body armor and rock armor.
    Snorkel for intake
    Front, transfer case, transmission, gas tank and rear diff skids to protect vitals
    Oversize tires
    Probably regear differentials for added weight and over size tires
    Front and rear locking differentials
    Front and rear aftermarket plate bumpers for protection and recovery options
    Winch
    Steel brake lines
    This would be a good solid set up. I'm sure others could add or subtract. My two cents worth. I would get with one of the fabricators on here who has done customs trucks before who could look at the whole picture of what would be needed and could guide you in what options for you would need and want.

6. May 3, 2015 at 8:47 PM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    Are you going to be able to fit 4 of these with modifications needed in the OP's budget?

7. May 3, 2015 at 8:57 PM
    PLC721

PLC721 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, Az
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax ProKiller
    Kings, Toyos, Baja Designs, TC, SDHQ
    Tundra or F-150

8. May 3, 2015 at 9:01 PM
    BlindingWhiteTac.

BlindingWhiteTac. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 LQ4 4L80E
    Just the essentials and no extra fluff.
    Armored as in bullet resistant? 3ft of water? Drive over an 18" obstacle? The military already developed a vehicle for this, it's called a Humvee. Surplus ones can be bought for 10k. Not sure about the emissions requirements.

Maybe a Ram 2500 with the AEV suspension and snorkel.

Sounds like you need to send them an RFI.

DoorDing likes this.
  9. May 3, 2015 at 10:24 PM
    DHowell

DHowell [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Thanks! If I need to be concerned about range after some of the upgrades, would it be a replacement fuel tank or a second auxillary tank?

10. May 3, 2015 at 10:25 PM
    DHowell

DHowell [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    I will take a look! Appreciate the tip.

jerent66 likes this.
  11. May 3, 2015 at 10:26 PM
    DHowell

DHowell [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    We had briefly talked about jeeps but were concerned about cargo space (hence our primary focus on light trucks).

12. May 3, 2015 at 10:27 PM
    DHowell

DHowell [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Thanks for the tip! We hadn't really looked at that one. I'll shoot an email to one of my coworkers.

13. May 3, 2015 at 10:33 PM
    DHowell

DHowell [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    I had to google what "SAS" was -- solid axle suspension?
    Looks like a lot of the pictures that come up are of some pretty extreme rock climbing type stuff. I presume it would still be OK for normal off-road use, but perhaps overkill? Is it really pricey?

14. May 3, 2015 at 10:36 PM
    DHowell

DHowell [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Alright -- thanks for the tip! My thinking was that all the wisdom resided with the enthusiasts :)
    Can you recommend any particuar companies? Like SOS Concepts that somebody else mentioned?
    Thanks!

15. May 3, 2015 at 10:39 PM
    DHowell

DHowell [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Thanks! I'm going to have to research some of these. That's quite a list -- all achievable for about $15K?
    I'm not sure who those guys (fabricators) would be -- anybody in particuar I should reach out to?

16. May 3, 2015 at 10:40 PM
    DHowell

DHowell [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Very interesting! I will look into the Ram. Thanks.

14489[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. May 3, 2015 at 10:42 PM
    anders99

anders99 The Sailing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Penscola, FL
    Vehicle:
    (07 Base 4cyl 4x4 - RIP) -> 2018 4Runner SR5 Premuim
    Taco SOS Offroad Concepts hybrid front bumper Iggy Corp. Switch panel Famous Fab ditch lights and cb antenna mount Pioneer Appradio 2 Halo Led Headlights Led Taillights 3'' toytech spacer lift on front end Toytec AAL on rear AFE cold air intake 4Runner Stock
  18. May 3, 2015 at 10:44 PM
    DHowell

DHowell [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    The specs on the protection aspect aren't written in the contract listing, so I don't know exactly how beefy they want to make them at that point.
    With regard to the Humvee, everybody got the sense that the contractor is wanting to stay clear of actual military hardware (at least with regard to appearance). The request (as we read it) is for a standad looking vehicle that will blend in better.

Several other folks have mentioned the Ram, so I'll bring it up tomorrow at work and start looking at that option. Thanks!

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  19. May 3, 2015 at 10:45 PM
    steelhd

steelhd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB TRD OR
    Be sure to ask your question at the expeditonportal forums. There are people there who have been prepping, and driving, their vehicles all over the world in all kinds of terrain and conditions for years. Decades in some cases. Take advantage of their real world experience.

DoorDing likes this.
  20. May 3, 2015 at 10:50 PM
    DHowell

DHowell [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Thanks! I'm shocked with the number of responses. Very friendly community.
    Sorry, good question -- I should have written it into my main post -- 4 passengers is the requirement, so we were looking at crew cab / double cab type vehicles.

There was no requirement listed for payload or cargo weight would be required, but we have figured trucks are a good place to start researching since they are built for durability. We wanted to offer something with cargo room, so are not looking at things like Jeeps because there's not a lot of space. An open bed isn't explicitly required (one guy is looking at a Tahoe SUV), but I personally feel there is a certain appeal and simplicity to a truck. Throwing things in the back is nice and easy!

No size or weight restriction listed from what I can see. I know there are some larger chassis out there (several have already recommended the Ram), but we hadn't initially looked too seriously at them with the thinking that smaller/lighter would be more agile. Sounds like we need to look at some bigger trucks based on some of the recommendations so far, though.

Products Discussed in

To Top