1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

16" steel rim question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by finicky99, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Aug 7, 2010 at 11:45 AM
    finicky99

finicky99 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    San Antonio
    Why is it that I can't run a 16" steel rim on my 2002 4door prerunner (it has a 6" lift- not sure if this pertains to any issue of not allowing me or allowing me to run this wheel)? They told me that I could only run aluminum wheels on this truck (if i was going with 16's) but I really wanted the PC 98rockcrawlers. I originally wanted 15" rims but they told me absolutely NO aftermarket 15" rim would fit my truck. So I decided on these 16" rock crawlers. Now they tell me that no steel rim will fit only aluminum. This is what they told me at 4wheelparts, is it true?, and/or should I consider going up to a 17" rim? That is what thier sales rep recommended I do. However, i'd prefer a smaller wheel and a larger tire.

I appreciate any info you all can give!

2. Aug 7, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    I believe my rims are steel 16". on my 2002 4 dr prerunner. Sounds like someone is givin you a load of bs.

3. Aug 7, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.

ooops, sorry. NM. They are aluminum. lol. MB V-drive.

4. Aug 7, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    TRDNinetyNiner

TRDNinetyNiner Active Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen TRD
    Wheels
    4wheelparts also told me the same thing for my '99 prerunner. They said my front brake calipers won't clear on 16" steelies. The thing is they only told me what their computer told them. I wanted to test fit a steel rim but unfortunately it's a "you test fit it you buy it" kind of deal.

I see Tacoma's around on a 16" steelies. Not sure if they did some mods on it.

I went with a FJ Cruiser TT wheels and made my truck more stock looking.

Products Discussed in

To Top