1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'17 DCSB TRDOR or TRD Sport?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Prospetive_Tacoma, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Mar 20, 2017 at 5:54 PM
    BQN

BQN Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    TRD OR for on-road and off-road comfort.

TRD OR DCLB seems to be the most comfortable...even over the Limited.

2. Mar 20, 2017 at 6:04 PM
    Mugsy7

Mugsy7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mugsy
    Delco, PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement TRD OR DCSB
    Truxedo Pro X15 tonneau, front tinted windows
    Your F150 has a better ride. I had a Ranger before my Taco. The Ranger rode like a Jeep. You felt every bump or crack in the road...but I loved that truck. Taco has a much better ride than the Ranger. It's a midsized truck not a full sized. However, for a 29 mile commute, you'll be fine. It's fun to drive.

I'd get the OR. When I was hunting in December, it was pouring rain. My OR had no issue traversing the wooded muddy narrow trails on the farm I was at. My only regret is not getting JBL.

3. Mar 21, 2017 at 2:07 PM
    Prospetive_Tacoma

Prospetive_Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    Weathertech floor liners and Hondo knobs.
    Thanks Mugsy. I looked again yesterday at my local lot, and I'm going to go with the TRD OR. Think I'll probably add the HH Premium and Tech package if I can find one.

Mugsy7[QUOTED] and shakerhood like this.
  4. Mar 21, 2017 at 6:18 PM
    browndirtcowboy

browndirtcowboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manteca
    Useless front scoop and 17" wheels vs locker. Front scoop will do nothing if your needing a locker except impede your vision. Choose wisely, being stuck with a cool non functional scoop might look cool but it will not get you unstuck.

5. Mar 21, 2017 at 6:21 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    Good Choice!

6. Mar 21, 2017 at 6:48 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road Premium 4Runner Lunar Rock
    But while stuck, you will look at the scoop and smile.

7. Mar 21, 2017 at 7:36 PM
    Idig63

Idig63 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR 4X4 DCLB BLACK
    Don't ask me, I'm the last person to ask. I just bought a 2017 TRD OR less than two weeks ago. Everyone else here will do more serious off-roading than I ever will, but the wife and I were sold after a test drive. The ride is plush as heck. And I have always been envious when a TRD OR would drive past me in my 2000 Tacoma SR5 4X4. ;)

shakerhood and Spare Parts like this.
  8. Mar 21, 2017 at 8:46 PM
    browndirtcowboy

browndirtcowboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manteca
    True....:rofl:

Spare Parts[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Mar 21, 2017 at 9:07 PM
    Ez2Tan

Ez2Tan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand Tacoma OR
    Sorry to invade your thread OP, but I'm in a restless situation. I have the option of waiting for a MGM Sport double cab short bed with tech and tow to be built 4/19, delivered end of April or purchase a MGM OR in the same spec build on the lot for the same price. Both are 6 speed manual.

Here's a little backround, I live in Northern California and have never been off roading and don't plan on getting into it with a new truck. The most this truck will see will be fire roads and dirt roads to campsites. I plan on taking the truck up to Oregon during the winter to the local ski resorts on public roads. My past vehicles have all been sports cars before. I do prefer the look of the sport over the OR.

I understand that the OR offers more bang for buck, but do I really need an OR for the type of terrain I'll be exposed to?

Also, I have test driven the Sports and the local dealership doesn't have an OR in 6 speed. The purchase wont be from my local dealership as we can't agree on a price. I am purchasing from a dealership that is 5 hours away. Test driving an OR wouldn't be an option this late into the deal.

10. Mar 21, 2017 at 9:09 PM
    shakerhood

shakerhood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DCSB Off Road, 6 Speed MT, P&T
    Test drive both of them even if they are Automatics just so you can see how they feel. I picked MGM OR Manual when I ordered.

11. Mar 22, 2017 at 4:51 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2022 Off Road Premium 4Runner Lunar Rock
    Go to any dealership that has the OR and drive one. That being said, the Sport will more than handle what your needs sound to be. You have the most important part covered (the manual trans) so everything else will work its way out.

Idig63 likes this.
  12. Mar 22, 2017 at 9:30 AM
    osirus272

osirus272 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    SouthenCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD 4X4 Sport Black
    NONE YET... stock so far, but can't wait to do all i can.
    Well... not to make your decision any harder...

I have a '17 Sport 4X4 and it does very well for me. I drive 15 miles to work & here n there during the week. Love the truck, does everything I need it to do and more. Handles perfectly & the ride is pretty smooth. I do also have a buddy w/a stock '16 OR 4X4 that we both took out to the local trail & whatever he did, I was able to do. Now, we didn't do any serious mudding/climbing on those trails like others post here, but it was fresh off a rainy week & thick overcast so the trail was slippery & I had no problem keeping up. We were both happy on how the trucks handled, like they should in off road conditions... We compare all the time & wish we could mash both trucks together to be totally satisfied. <-- Ya right, like that'll ever happen.

Yes the OR has more bells n whistles if you want, and do I wish I would have got it instead of the Sport??? Yeah, I do sometimes, BUT I don't use it in OR conditions daily, and doubt I'll ever be in serious conditions like that. So the Sport was the right choice for what I need.

Depends on what your needs/wants are...

** Air Dam is now gone, that was pretty obvious it needed to go after that 1st trail trip, doesn't make any difference on mileage for me on the road.

IMG_20170219_093404224.jpg

Spare Parts likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top