1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

17 TRD DCOR Lift Advice Request

Discussion in 'HeadStrong Off-Road' started by Harvo, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Sep 3, 2017 at 8:43 PM
    Harvo

Harvo [OP] Hanging On !!!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD Offroad DCSB
    SpiderTrax, RCI Sliders, Warn bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Ridge Grapplers...
    Marie,

I know you wont get to this until after the 11th, and that's cool. I hope the week off was nice.

I am looking to lift 1.5 to 2" front and rear. I want to keep the rear high rake the truck has from the factory. I am on a budget and the 6112/5160 with 3-Leaf AAL sounds appealing at first sight.

My intended purpose is
    #1 daily comfort
    #2 soaking up forest road chop at speed
    #3 Handling moderate slow trail work. (Nothing Terribly Difficult) Ruts and Rocks.

I definitely want assembled strut assemblies, but from there... I'm in your hands. If you know there is something similarly priced out that would fit the purpose better than the combo I mentioned above, please let me know.

Thank You!

2. Sep 11, 2017 at 10:14 AM
    HeadStrong Off-Road

HeadStrong Off-Road Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma and 2019 4Runner
    Good morning,

Thank you it was nice. Did some biking and hiking in Mammoth :)

There are several ways to lift your truck. Most of it comes down to what you use your truck for, which brand or style of suspension you prefer, and what your budget is. I have included a link to our kits page so you can check out some of your options along with pricing. Keep in mind we can modify our kits or custom build you a kit to fit your specific needs. We do have all of the lift options we carry listed as complete kits yet. We have the ADS products available for the 3rd gens as well. I also provided the link to the coilover page so you can check those out as well.

http://www.headstrongoffroad.com/store/c113/Tacoma_16__Complete_Kits.html

http://www.headstrongoffroad.com/store/c117/Performance_Coilovers.html

The one thing that is always hard to speak to is ride quality. So much of that relies heavily on personal perception. Most aftermarket suspension, even ones that are higher end, provide a firmer on road ride quality. This is mainly due to the type of suspension, valving, and additional capabilities that it may provide. Some people feel like the firmer suspension supports the weight of the vehicle better so you don't get that sloppy handling some people describe.

The 6112 is a strut and coil combination which uses the notch settings on the shock with the coil provided to achieve lift. They come with a 600lb spring rate tapered coil. They have a much larger shock diameter then the factory shock (which is a 1.5” diameter and the Bilstein 5100’s have a 2.0 diameter) which helps with the displacement to keep the shock cooler longer when under strain from an extended period of time. They are not fully adjustable or revalvable. However they are a nice upgrade over the stock suspension and the Bilstein 5100’s. From the feedback I have, provide a nice on and off-road ride quality even at the higher notch settings. They have a steel body that has been zinc coated. They pair nicely with the 5160 remote reservoir rear shocks. Some people do run the 5100’s with the 6112’s if they do not need the added extension or the reservoir. I usually say that if the 5100 and a coilover unit like Fox had a baby, the 6112's would be what you get.

I have a lot of people who look at the add-a-leafs and usually they like to know the differences from one style to another so I created this comparison of the two so you can make sure the one you are looking at will best suit your needs.

The single AAL is both thicker and arched more than the initial leaf in the 3 leaf AAL. Though the 3 leaf AAL has more steel overall, the first leaf in the mini pack does not engage as quickly as the single AAL does. In fact the single AAL is arched to a point where it re-arches the existing factory packs upon assembly and thus engages immediately. The 3 leaf AAL has less arch and complies with the arch of the factory packs. So although the first leaf in the 3 leaf AAL will provide some support with the smaller bumps, it won’t provide as much as the single AAL will, which translates to a slightly stiffer on-road ride. And as far as the 2nd and 3rd leafs in the 3 leaf AAL, these will only come into play until the factory packs are flexed far enough to engage them. This will happen more so over the bigger bumps or when off-roading. The single leaf provides approx. 1.5"-2" of lift and the 3-leaf provides approx. 1.5" of lift with the factory overload removed and approx. 2" with it retained. The overload does provide function, for when you are over load, so removing it or retaining it can depend on what you use your truck for. If you find yourself hauling or towing a decent amount of weight you may want to keep the overload in to keep the factory pack and add-a-leaf from overflexing. Now the performance and capabilities of any of the add-a-leafs still do rely on the factory leaf pack and its capabilities and wareability.

Basically, from the feedback I have, the single leaf provides a stiffer ride quality but better initial support of consistent weight and the 3-leaf provides a better ride quality and as more of the leafs are engaged then the weight support comes into play.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with.

Thank you so much.

3. Sep 26, 2017 at 7:37 PM
    Harvo

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD Offroad DCSB

I'm about ready to order the 6112 front preassembled, and the 3leaf AAL with long 5100s. I'm also about to leave town for a few days in a little over a week. I don't want it to show up when I'm away, so I'd just like to ask if that stuff is in stock ready to ship, or if it takes a few days to leave your shop. If that is the case, I'll wait until I get back.

Thanks for the info and help.

4. Sep 28, 2017 at 12:04 PM
    HeadStrong Off-Road

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I am so sorry that it took me so long to get back to you. We were closed yesterday. Everything is good in stock and typical turn around times around 1-2 business days. You will be supplied with an invoice and tracking information so you can begin tracking the package once it leaves our facility.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with.

Thank you so much for your business, we truly appreciate it!

Argo98 likes this.
  5. Sep 29, 2017 at 5:19 PM
    Argo98

Argo98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Argo
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD-Sport 4x4
    Rough Country 3" spacer lift w/ shocks 285 KO2's wrapped around 16' ProComp Series 7069 Misc. bibbidybob lights
    Marie, what does the coil selection mean?

HeadStrong Off-Road likes this.
  6. Oct 2, 2017 at 12:31 PM
    HeadStrong Off-Road

Member:
    Vehicle:
  7. Oct 2, 2017 at 3:56 PM
    Jamesgango127

Jamesgango127 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma sport
    Would you recommend a full leaf pack or minipack on my 2016 tacoma 6'bed? Im planning to lift my truck with kings with compression adj. i dont plan on putting a steel bumper but i would like to use the truck to pick heavy stuff once in a while.( like bricks and cement. Thanks

8. Oct 2, 2017 at 4:05 PM
    HeadStrong Off-Road

Member:
    Vehicle:
    It really comes down to how much weight you will be adding and how frequently you will be adding it as well as how much lift you would like to gain. I can send you some information on the various leaf packs and add-a-leafs if you want.

9. Oct 2, 2017 at 4:23 PM
    Jamesgango127

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma sport
    Yes pls. Thank u

10. Oct 2, 2017 at 4:25 PM
    Jamesgango127

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma sport
    I prob only gonna go 2" on the rear

11. Oct 2, 2017 at 4:49 PM
    HeadStrong Off-Road

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PM Sent :)

12. Oct 2, 2017 at 6:20 PM
    Jamesgango127

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma sport
    Im planning to get the kings 2.5 with adjusters both front and rear with my 2016 tacoma 6'bed, if i add a full leaf pack heavy duty, what are the lift gains im going to get in front and in the back. Sorry this is my first truck so this will be my first lift so im unfamiliar with everything. Im just learning as i go along

13. Oct 3, 2017 at 1:33 PM
    HeadStrong Off-Road

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PM Sent :)

14. Oct 14, 2017 at 2:59 PM
    Harvo

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17' TRD Offroad DCSB

Marie, the link to chosing the clip position isn't working on the 6112 page. Do you have a link to which clips offer which amount of lift?

15. Oct 16, 2017 at 9:03 AM
    HeadStrong Off-Road

Member:
    Vehicle:
To Top