1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

17x8 Konig CounterSteer Type X

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires Marketplace' started by JdMeF9SiR2, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Jan 14, 2022 at 5:47 PM
    GoldenTaco27

GoldenTaco27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Costa Mesa Ca
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB TRD Off Road
    @hungoverland on IG, King 2.5" EXT Travel, 285 Nitto M/T's, TJM front/rear bumpers, TJM Sliders, Prinsu Cabrac, Waterport, Katzkin leather, RSI Smartcap EVOa topper, OV Tuned, EBAY Special Raptor Grill, MESO everything, Spyder headlights and tail lights, center mounted infant restraining system (CMIRS) \m/
    I'm currently running Raceline's Defender 935's (16x8) and see that they weigh 26lbs. I love the look of these FN's and see that they are 6lbs lighter-- assuming tires weigh the same, will I feel those 6lbs in every day driving? Rotational mass is something I am not very knowledgeable on, but I would assume the braking would be slightly better (?) and possibly some MPG increase. After almost 5 years of adding weight to the truck (skids, bumpers, RSI camper, etc), I am looking at ways to lighten where possible and would not hate an aesthetic change to keep things fresh. Thanks for any info you guys may have.

CowboyTaco likes this.
  2. Jan 14, 2022 at 6:50 PM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    Logic would say yes. But I don't know if that translates to real world results. I would love to know your experience if you make the switch.

GoldenTaco27 likes this.
  3. Jan 14, 2022 at 6:57 PM
    GoldenTaco27

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Costa Mesa Ca
    Vehicle:
    @hungoverland on IG, King 2.5" EXT Travel, 285 Nitto M/T's, TJM front/rear bumpers, TJM Sliders, Prinsu Cabrac, Waterport, Katzkin leather, RSI Smartcap EVOa topper, OV Tuned, EBAY Special Raptor Grill, MESO everything, Spyder headlights and tail lights, center mounted infant restraining system (CMIRS) \m/
    Thats what I am thinking... real world results would probably be almost impossible to see/feel despite the 23% reduction of rotational mass on each corner. Curious to see if anyone says differently though :notsure:

4. Jan 14, 2022 at 6:59 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat SST in training

Member:
    TW
    that all depends on the driver, but i think you'd feel it if you're looking for it. 6lbs is significant for unsprung weight.

i have run Six Shooters for years, they are like 24lbs or something. next week I'm mounting up a new set of Volks which are 17lbs give or take. it's taken a lot of effort to get those and for the same reasons you mentioned and more. and i really like E tires on light wheels, because they are less compliant and allow for a lot more road feel to get to the driver.

if you really want to experience a difference in the driving, then get a set of Wilwood brakes for the front. they are 17lbs lighter than stock per side unsprung weight. that is huge. it made the truck much nicer to drive, more responsive, and of course better braking.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/se...=part-type&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    GoldenTaco27 likes this.
  5. Jan 14, 2022 at 7:08 PM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
  6. Jan 14, 2022 at 7:23 PM
    GoldenTaco27

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Costa Mesa Ca
    Vehicle:
    That's an insane weight difference for something that out preforms to OEM. I have the Powerstop setup for slightly less coin :spending:... unsure if that was a weight savings or not, but they work better than OEM for sure. If I can get a deal through my neighbor.... I would consider giving the Wilwoods a shot though. Thanks for the info!

su.b.rat likes this.
  7. Jan 14, 2022 at 10:06 PM
    boostedka

boostedka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 6MT, 2004 4runner
    Another brake option with 17's is OEM 5th gen 4runner brakes.

Products Discussed in

To Top