1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

18" Magnaflow -- Too loud. Not broken in? Wrong size?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by TacomaRumble, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Feb 1, 2011 at 10:41 AM
    TacomaRumble

TacomaRumble [OP] Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma 4x4 V6 TRD Sport
    Hey Everyone,

Lately I've wanted to get a little deeper tone, a little more of a rumble if you will, out of my Tacoma. After much deliberation and hours of scouring forums, I decided to go with the Magnaflow muffler. For the sake of discussion I drive a 2009 Tacoma Access Cab TRD Sport 4x4 4.0L V6.

Once I found a good muffler shop who also had the muffler in stock, I opted to go for it. I asked for an 18" Magnaflow, however the 'expert' was insistent I try the 14". WOWzers that thing was loud! It took me about 30 minutes to lose my mind and return to the muffler shop. Now, he has replaced the muffler with an 18" Magnaflow. I hate to say it, but this still too loud for me. Again, I just wanted a little more rumble to my Tacoma, I'm not looking to wake up the neighborhood.

I hate to have to go back to the OEM muffler because it is not the tone I'm looking for. I've scoured the forums, but most people seem to want an increase in sound, I seem to be one of the few who actually want to tone it down. Here are some of the questions I'd really appreciate some feedback on.

1) Does the muffler take time to break in? Does the sound change after putting some mileage on it? Some people in forums claim in does, is this a matter of the person getting used to the noise, or does it legitimately tone down a bit?

2) I'm considering the 22" Magnaflow. What sort of difference will I experience with the bigger muffler? The 'expert' claims it will be quieter than my OEM. I seriously doubt that from the comments I've read on the forums.

Any feedback whatsoever would be greatly appreciated, even if it is not regarding the above questions. Thanks in advance!

2. Feb 1, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    imtwistd

imtwistd Going nowhere as fast as possible

Member:
    First Name:
    I forgot
    Liverpool NY
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab long bed sport 4x4 beast
    AllPro offroad front LT with Fox 2.5 shox and AllPro expedtion rear springs with Fox piggy back res shox, TRD skid plate, Toyota roof rack, Undercover tonnuea cover, Pro comp 3" lift, 4 Pro comp 8" offroad lights, 17" XD Series "SPY", Nfab tube steps and light bar, Fitch Fuel, Flexalite fan, Unichip, URD cai, TRD supercharger, URD y-pipe, Banks monster cat back, debadged, projection head lighs, LED tail lights and a loud stereo, Stainless Steel Brake Lines front and rear, Doug Thorley long tube headers, Walboro 255 fuel pump, KC rock guards on my Pro Comp 8" lights
    There is no such thing as to loud:D. No, mufflers dont need break in time theyre ready to go right out of the box, this model may not be the right muffler for your application. Do some more research to find the right one for you. IF IT'S TO LOUD, YOU'RE TO OLD lol:D

3. Feb 1, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    1. My 18" magnaflow has gotten louder with time, not quieter.
    2. The 22" will be quieter than the 18", but there's no way it will be quieter than stock. It's still a straight-through muffler.

4. Feb 1, 2011 at 2:30 PM
    TacomaRumble

TacomaRumble [OP] Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Haha, you're right man. I am getting old. But it's not really that. I was never trying to make my truck loud, just trying to give it a deeper hum.

Thanks, man. I'm really starting to lean towards the 22". How much quieter would you expect the 22 to be over the 18? Does anyone have some experience with the 22" on a 4.0L?

Thanks again guys, your feedback is much appreciated.

5. Feb 1, 2011 at 2:35 PM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:

I would randomly guess that the reduction you heard from going to the 18 from the 14 would be about the same % of noise reduction as going from the 18 to 22. I really have no clue though.

6. Feb 1, 2011 at 2:46 PM
    TacomaRumble

TacomaRumble [OP] Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Think I'm gonna give the 22" a shot. I liked the reduction from 14 to 18, and if it scales the same to the 22 it should be perfect!

If anyone has any experience with a 22" magnaflow on a 4.0L Tacoma, please chime in! I will likely write up a full report of my experience with all my different configurations. Thanks Guys.

On a side note: KPT your truck looks freakin' awesome.

7. Feb 1, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    TexasTacoma37

Member:

Also, your username is quite ironic for someone wanting a quieter exhaust :laugh:

8. Feb 1, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    TacomaRumble

TacomaRumble [OP] Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    Haha. I want a low rumble! I guess I am a confused being, what can I say!

Products Discussed in

To Top