1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1972 GMC 1500 4x4

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by claytaco1, Jan 7, 2024.

1. Jan 7, 2024 at 11:15 AM
    claytaco1

claytaco1 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Northeast Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD AT
    Hey everyone, wanted to share this here. As of June 29th, 2023, my father and I recently got the family truck back in the family. It's a 1972 GMC 1500 4x4 that my grandfather ordered to his liking back in 1972. This was the truck that went everywhere back in the day, and when my father was in high school it was his truck. There is a lot of history with this truck. It's been lifted, had 4 or so engines put in it, been stuck, and it has been everywhere. My dad's grandfather bought it off of my grandfather and used it to haul horses in the bed of it. He's wrecked it and they fixed it.

Soon after my dad's grandfather died, the truck sat from 1997-2003ish. My grandfather called my father and asked him if wanted it. During that time dad couldn't own it due to having too many projects and kids to raise, he told him to sell it to his first cousin who lived across our old farm. For most of my life it sat across the road from the old farm, and I always wanted it back in the family because I could tell it meant a lot to my father.

In 2019 my grandfather passed away due to ALS, knew then I was going to try to get it back. The man who owned it didn't want to sell, he asked my father if he still had the old hubcaps for it, and my dad laughed saying he would polish them as soon as he wants to sell it back.

Drove by the old farm one day and didn't notice it sitting there, called dad and told him that and he shrugged it off thinking the man put it in the barn. For the next half year or so we didn't see it there.

Then, my mother and father were out driving and my dad noticed an old orange GMC driving down the highway. My dad did U-turn and followed it into a gas station. He got out of the car and talked to the new owner of the truck and it was a guy I went to high school with, dad asked him if he was interested in selling and he wasn't, so they exchanged numbers and went on with their day.

I knew the guy and after a half year or so we traded our 1977 Chevy K20 and 86 Chevy K10 to get it back in the family. I love my tacoma, but this truck will always hold a special place in my heart.

gmc1.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top