1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1977 CB750 help

Discussion in 'South East' started by mullski19, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Oct 23, 2018 at 12:51 PM
    mullski19

mullski19 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Hello! My name is Jake, I moved to northern Virginia, DC area recently. I had bought a 1977 cb750k about 7 months ago. It was in a bunch of pieces when I bought it but spent countless hours researching it and putting it back together. Before I got into this project I didn't know very much about doing something like this but was able to figure a lot of it out. I still have a lot to learn but the bike runs and looks pretty good. There a just a couple small things that I have not been able to figure out that are preventing me from enjoying the fruits of my labor.

These things include:

-Oil leaks out of my oil pan. The oil pan that came with the bike leaked because the threads in the casing for the drain bolt were stripped so I bought one off of eBay and was what I thought very thorough in how I installed it and it still leaks. I cleaned the surface with a straight blade to get all residue off as well as rubbing it down with nail polish remover to get all oil off, I then put gasket sealant on the pan and then put a new gasket on that with another bead of gasket sealant to be put on the engine side. After snugging the bolts and letting sit for 16 hours I tightened the bolts and added oil. It still leaked. The bolts do not feel super tight but I tightened them quite a bit and am scared to push harder. It almost feels if I am starting to stretch the bolts but I am not all that experienced in this. I did read they need about 6 ft pounds of torque but I don't have that tool.

-I have the same problem with oil leaking out of my stator cover and the cover next to it that covers where the shifter goes in. I did all the same steps as I talked about with the oil pan.

- I did have the bike running the other day and finally felt pretty good with everything until I noticed that I think oil is leaking out of my valve cover gasket. I will attach a video to this and I guess some people can either confirm or deny my assessment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfGbIo-IcSY&feature=youtu.be

- That last issue is only two cylinders are firing. I believe it is cylinders 1 and 3 that are not firing so that leads me to assess that I have stuck float bowls or more generally speaking a fuel delivery problem. I have not confirmed I have spark but I will do that this week.

I have worked tirelessly on this bike and am dying to get it on the road. I am saying all of this to see if anyone is in the area and wouldn't mind looking over some of these things and sharing some words of wisdom. I am able to bring the bike to you if need be and of course a pack of beer if one prefers. Really just looking for a fun day of talking about bikes and buttoning this one up so she is ready to ride!! I really appreciate everyones help in advance!

-Jake

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top