1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1986 Samurai Build... "SAMMI"

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by 01GREENTACO, May 31, 2011.

1. May 31, 2011 at 8:06 PM
    01GREENTACO

01GREENTACO [OP] Not all who wander are lost

Member:
    Germantown, TN
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD
    Lost track many, many mods ago.
    My best friend and I built up a 1988 Suzuki Samurai soft top (build thread in signature) but we have always wanted a tin top. We've searched and searched and found a few but they were either in terrible condition, too expensive, too far away, or some combination. We spotted one last summer out near his farm but someone bought it out from under us before we could get in touch with the owner. So we began the search once more. Nothing for a year, then last week, the man who bought the Samurai out from under us had posted it for sale on Craigslist and this time the price was right.
    His original posted asking price was $3750 but we were able to talk him down $1000 and walked out with a box full of spare parts and a 1986 tin top Samurai for $2750.
    The truck is in spectacular condition. No windows busted out, no tears in the seats, 4x4 functioning properly with 4low, no dents in the body, no rust whatsoever anywhere on the truck. We picked it up today around 3:30 are still in shock about the price and the condition of everything.
    This is going to be a fairly modest build and the truck will mainly serve as a daily driver more than an off-road monster. The truck came with a 5" SPOA lift installed by the original owner but the previous owner installed brand new 265/75/15 Master Craft Courser A/T, an engine that was rebuilt less than 5,000 miles ago, As I mentioned no rust, leather seat covers, air conditioning, the list goes on and on. The only negative (some might not consider it one but I do) is the rattle can, camo paint job and it will be one of the first things to be changed. Like I said, not going to be a huge, over the top, extreme trail ready or rock climbing/mudding rig... just something we can have fun with. Throw the mountain bikes on the back, kayaks on top, and go camping for the weekend and be able to have a reliable machine that will get us where we need to be. Since we just got it today and both have 60 hour a week jobs, progress will be slow but I intend to take many more pictures than the other Samurai build so stay tuned to see the progression of "SAMMI"

"SUSIE" on the left and "SAMMI" on the right.
    [​IMG]
    The full size spare (265/75/15) was bending the hinges so we had to take the spare off to reinforce the gate:
    [​IMG]
    The ugly rattle can camo paint scheme
    [​IMG]

2. Jun 13, 2011 at 5:47 PM
    01GREENTACO

Member:
    Germantown, TN
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD
    Did a bunch of work this weekend and got a lot of work done but not without having some late late nights.

Got a Sony stereo installed allowing the use of iPods, cds, mp3s and radio. Everyone loves their tunes!
    [​IMG]
    In addition to the stereo, we got some cheap Autozone speakers and they surprisingly sounds good for only $30.
    [​IMG]
    Dupli-color bed lined the tub and it turned out good after only 2 coats. We'll have to see how it holds up over time
    [​IMG]

Tinted the back windows with 35% and plan on doing the front windows and back ones as well when we buy more tint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ordered 1.5" wheel spacers last week and they came in on Friday along with a new steering stabilizer. It's amazing how the installation of both really improved ride quality
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We capped off the weekend with the stripping of the rattle canned camo paint job. Man, was that a task that might be more than we can tackle. I spent 8 hours yesterday and only got the back passenger panel and part of the passenger door stripped. It sure is time consuming and tedious beyond all belief. While I was sanding the hood I noticed the previous owner didn't sand the original color before he camo'ed it so the paint was clumping up. It was the weirdest thing I'd seen and that's the reason we are stripping it back to the bare metal so we know we've got a good solid paint job. My buddy's granddad used to own a body shop and there were some minor dings here and there that we wanted to get out prior to painting. It was my first experience with Bondo and I learned a lot from his about proper techniques and was very pleased with how it all turned out. Smooth as silk now.
    Went to a local paint shop and ordered some House of Kolor and it should be here before the weekend which works out perfect because we are priming Wednesday night. We are so pumped to get the paint on because once we wrap up the paint, we can start the accessorizing. Things such as Yakima racks, Trail Ready bumpers, after market lights, skid plates and others are in the works.
    Here's what I got done after 8 long hours...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Jun 22, 2011 at 11:49 PM
    06rubi

06rubi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
    Looks like a fun project! The camo looked pretty good in the pics to me and I ain't a fan of camp. What color are ya gonna paint it?

4. Jun 23, 2011 at 12:02 AM
    yotamikez

yotamikez Street glide or die

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Valrico
    Vehicle:
    04 civic & 08 Street glide
    Nice I was interested in one in the past but like you said " either in terrible condition, too expensive, too far away, or some combination " Keep us posted the build looks good so far.

5. Jun 23, 2011 at 12:07 AM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    My dad used to have one of those when I was a kid. Can't waut to see what this turns out like

6. Jun 26, 2011 at 3:23 PM
    01GREENTACO

Member:
    Germantown, TN
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD
    Lots of work done this past week and weekend. Last week we sent Sammi off to get professionally painted at an friend of a friend's paint shop. Decided to do a dark charcoal color to help accentuate the black from the tires and racks and bumpers. Did a little photo shoot after the bumpers were reinstalled and the $100 Yakima rack was installed along with some "just for looks" sliders. Caution... Mall crawling pics soon to follow...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All in all, the project is pretty much done. There are some black diamond plate panels on back order but once they are installed, the project is pretty much complete. A few odds and ends to button up and as time goes on more little projects will arise but now it's time to enjoy the new ride!

Link to the diamond plate panels---> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...30638002410&viewitem=&clk_rvr_id=243841381035

7. Jun 26, 2011 at 3:29 PM
    yotamikez

yotamikez Street glide or die

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Valrico
    Vehicle:
    04 civic & 08 Street glide
    Looks tuff as hell!

8. Jun 26, 2011 at 3:36 PM
    01GREENTACO

Member:
    Germantown, TN
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD
    Thanks fellas! It is going to be fun to show off around town and school in the fall.

9. Jul 4, 2011 at 12:45 AM
    derekAV

derekAV Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    derek
    A.V. / Fairfield CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4x4 reg. cab
    thats a clean tin top!

10. Jul 13, 2011 at 7:48 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Avondale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    1999 TRD/SR5 4x4
    5100/5125's All pro expedition leafs Eibach coils Light racing uca's 2004 gauge cluster All stainless brake lines 1" diff drop kenwood with polks rebuild seat support webbing satoshi grill optima red top
    very cool build, wish i had the time and money to do this to some ol reliable vehicle.

11. Jul 13, 2011 at 7:52 PM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    va
    Vehicle:
    05 4 banger
    tint 35/20 colormatched (by me) grill.
    nice man, its really clean i like it

12. Jul 13, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    6spdtaco

6spdtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    East Wallingford, VT
    Vehicle:
    Taco
    Tom Woods driveshaft. TRD short throw shift kit. TRD exhaust. AFE Stage II intake. CBI Bumpers front and rear. Warn 8000i winch/ synthetic line. OME 3" lift w/ dakar springs and 886 coils. ATO Front skid. ARE MX cap. Trail Team FJ wheels. Cooper Discoverer ST 265/75-16 C tires. Diff breather relocation mod.
    Awesome! I love these rigs.

13. Sep 16, 2011 at 6:36 PM
    01GREENTACO

Member:
    Germantown, TN
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD
    Thanks guys. It's been a blast building it and now being able to enjoy it.

14. Mar 12, 2012 at 11:27 AM
    01GREENTACO

Member:
    Germantown, TN
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD
    Update:
    New front ARB bumper with Smittybilt XRC 8000 and swapped out the 265 Courser A/T for 235 Dueler M/T's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Feb 25, 2013 at 7:04 PM
    TacoSkeet

TacoSkeet 'MERICA

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Memphis, TN
    Vehicle:
    03 DC Tacoma
    Boy do I miss this thing. Hate that I had to sell it, but hey! got my tacoma out of it!

To Top