1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1988 4x4 Pick Up

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by tacobell007, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Jan 4, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    Pope953

Pope953 That's a fact Jack!

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    35% up front, 20% in the back window tint, 15" Mickey Thompson bullet hole wheels, with 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/T tires. Glass Pack, High Flow Cat, S&B CAI, Custom Light Bar with 4 fog lights. 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 subs with 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, CB.
    Oh for sure. Get her running right, and great. And then go for looks. By the way, the lights that I got are "Blazer" brand. I totally forgot to answer you question.

2. Jan 4, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    Pope953

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    35% up front, 20% in the back window tint, 15" Mickey Thompson bullet hole wheels, with 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/T tires. Glass Pack, High Flow Cat, S&B CAI, Custom Light Bar with 4 fog lights. 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 subs with 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, CB.
    Oh...and got them at Advanced Auto Parts by the way.

3. Jan 4, 2012 at 7:52 PM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 [OP] Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    Yea definitely. Only reason I got tires before fixing everything was that I couldnt get traction at all when it was wet out and even dry they sucked. I think we got a pair of those for my buddy's jeep wrangler

4. Jan 4, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    Pope953

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    For what they are...they are bright as crap. I love them.

5. Jan 5, 2012 at 7:12 AM
    Chriskn1690

Chriskn1690 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    K&N intake and flowmaster 40 exhaust.
    Drew, you can definitely tint the front windows on the truck, only roblem is you cant do more than a 50% tint. Legally in Massachusetts you can have 35%tint, but most tint shops around here only give you the choice of buying 50% tint or 35%tint. . Naturally this won't work with 35% tint because even stock the glass comes with a few percent tint (usually 5% I think). I was never given any problems at the inspections with my Scion, most likely because I had 50% tint installed and stock it came with 5% so that was 45%. . . Dumb complicated and long lol but overall you should be fine if you go somewhere and just get 50% tint installed. . . That's what I'm doing :thumbsup:

6. Jan 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    I'm gonna see how it looks on your truck. I think alan is jelly of my truck at the moment:cool:

7. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:35 AM
    Chriskn1690

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    Yeah? Alan been talking about your truck man? I'll be doing mine soon. Maybe next Tuesday or Thursday on one of my days off. . Not sure yet though. I keep meaning to stop by that little custom shop that's near my place I showed you, but I keep forgetting to do it. . I don't have time today, but maybe tomorrow before work. I think we work together tomorrow night.

8. Jan 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Yea he has mentioned my tires and how well they look. He finally got his POS motor out of the hangar too

9. Jan 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM
    Chriskn1690

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    Yeah I seen him today, he was all depressed from his break up cuz I guess the girl was going to give him a second chance once he got out there when he moves there. . . But I guess he fucked up and said some messed up stuff to her lol. . But he was saying that he can't re-use the pistons he wanted to use because there are a ton of micro-fractures the shop found. Nice new pic btw.

10. Jan 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    POS dodge pistons man... I'm getting a new girl as he is getting done with his haha. Thanks! I took that while stacking wood while it was 12 degrees out :rolleyes:

11. Jan 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Alright so last Monday or so I noticed my passenger side brake was grinding while I was applying the brakes. So I took a look on Tuesday night and sure enough the inside pad had nothing left on it at all :eek: So I went out looking for pads and none of the pads for '88s were even close to what I needed. Turns out I have front brakes off an '87 truck even though my truck was made in June of '88 :confused: Finally got the right pads Thursday night and while taking a look at the rotor it looked like a scarifier had gone over it... So I go to the driver side and start checking stuff and the caliper had a stuck piston :mad: So Friday morning after my doctor's appointment I stopped by auto zone and got some new calipers and rotors for the truck. Then when I got home from school I had to wait to get a 54 mm socket for my bearing lock nuts so I was SOL til Tuesday. But since the lock nuts are only tightened down to 18 ft/lbs I could use a flat head screw driver and a hammer to knock them loose. So Sunday I took the whole hub off the driver side and switched out the caliper and rotor. (I switched to also working on my valve cover gaskets). So Monday I was trying to get the hard line out of the caliper on the passenger side and realized it was rounded off :mad: Got a new hard line fabbed (bent) up and in place. Put the new caliper, pads, and rotor in, repacked the bearing, and hand tightened the lock nut just to hold the hub assembly in place because I was still waiting on my socket to come in. Tuesday my socket finally comes in at 3:30ish (guy said it would be there around 1) and its a 55 mm... I was pissed but still bought it because I wanted to make sure that it would not work before I said no since I would have to wait longer, but it ended up doing the job :rolleyes: Torqued my inside locking nuts to 43 ft/lbs, spun the hub forwards and backwards twice, backed all the pressure off the bearing, and retorqued it down to 18 ft/lbs. Bled the brakes and the pressure is not up to par with what I want/expect but it will do for now until I get more time to figure stuff out.
    Onto the valve cover gasket story... I woke up Sunday morning and thought to myself "Why not do the valve cover gaskets now since the truck is going to be down until at least Tuesday?" So I went to advance auto parts and got valve cover gaskets, intake plenum gasket and two cans of brake clean since it was buy one, get one free. Started working on them once I got back from the store and continued after work. Cleaned up the meeting surface from the plenum since the plenum gasket was still in pretty good shape. Biggest pain was writing down where all the vacuum lines went so I could remember where they went since I did not think I would finish that night, which I did not. I applied a fair amount of black sealant in the corners of the cam bearing arches before putting the valve covers back on to ensure a proper seal.

Stuck piston on the top right of the picture
    [​IMG]

New pads, rotors, and calipers in
    [​IMG]

Right after pulling off the intake plenum
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Clean front port (top) meeting surface and dirty rear (bottom) ones (before getting cleaned)
    [​IMG]

My new valve cover gaskets are blue:cool:
    [​IMG]

Passenger side cover off and meeting surface all cleaned up
    [​IMG]

Driver side cover off and meeting surface all cleaned up
    [​IMG]

Plenum back on with vacuum lines hooked up, but not the intake to the filter
    [​IMG]

12. Jan 19, 2012 at 5:01 PM
    Chriskn1690

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    Looks awesome man, must feel so good to know its all done. . . What do you think about our trail run tomorrow afternoon? I hear were getting 2 to 4 inches of the white stuff. . . Should we just go anyway? I'm game. They're Yotas. we don't get stuck lol . . . . BTW nice avatar :cool:

13. Jan 19, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Thanks man! Drives a little smoother now. I'm gonna have to see about the trail run :( I figured you would like the avatar, I'm liking your sig pic :cool:

14. Jan 20, 2012 at 7:00 AM
    Chriskn1690

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Springfield,MA
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5
    Damn snow. . . .Really pisses me off :mad: I was ready for the trail run and the day we plan on going . . .of course.

15. Jan 20, 2012 at 7:04 AM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Yea man i hear ya. I just dont want to get stuck or any thing you know? can get hairy out there with the snow and what not

16. Jan 20, 2012 at 9:02 PM
    Pope953

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    You going to get them windows done? Or have you decided?

17. Jan 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Yea I'm pretty sure I want to get my windows done to 50% but I'm going to have to bring it up to my parents. I still need to track down an oil leak (probably the seal on the pan) and do my 3 belts to be satisfied with how it is running.

18. Jan 21, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    Pope953

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    Hmmm....well I will be perfectly honest with you. I've never seen 50% tint. And if you do find someone to do it that has 50% then ok, but this is the part I will be honest with you about. You obviously don't want to go too dark, but 50% in my opinion is sort of a waste of money. 35% is what you should go. Gives you a little more privacy, safety (for whatever you have in your truck when parked and locked), and its not as dark as you would think. Thats all my opinion though. I just think that you won't be satisfied with the 50% and will be wanting darker. That's how I was with mine. I still want to go 20% on my truck. Just my .02

Hopefully you'll find your oil leak.

19. Jan 21, 2012 at 9:05 AM
    Pope953

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    Just for example. Here's my truck...with 35% on the front and 20% on the back. And i know its hard to tell but my windows aren't quite that dark, the way the picture was taken it looks darker than it really is.

[​IMG]

20. Jan 21, 2012 at 7:04 PM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Hmm... 35% looks pretty good. I'm waiting on Chris to get his done and see how they come out cause I believe he is going with 50%. But I'm definitely going to think about it now

Products Discussed in

To Top