1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1991 Toyota Hilux 4x4 Build

Discussion in 'Hilux' started by HighLux4x4, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Nov 17, 2017 at 10:25 AM
    HighLux4x4

HighLux4x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    This is my 1991 Toyota Hilux imported from Japan. It was stock except for the rollbar and rims. The factory rims & tires couldn't come over with it.

For maintenance I have replaced all fluids upon arrival. I actually found all the fluids to be fresh but did so for preventative reasons. The truck required a new alternator and voltage regulator. I should have replaced it with an internally regulated one but that will be a mod in the future if the current alternator gives any problems. I rebuilt the front & rear axles with new bearings, and seals & replaced a couple light bulbs. I use fluid film inside the frame just in case, though I won't drive the vehicle in winter.

The upgrades I have so far are Front & Rear diff breathers, Drain plug mods on axles, transmission & transfer case, 31 inch tires on new rims, Old Man Emu suspension system, extended stainless brake lines, drop drag link, harrop elockers front & rear wired to a factory dial, DTS turbo system with autometer gauges to monitor EGT & Boost.

I have a new timing belt and water pump which isn't due for another 40,000km but I will probably install earlier. At that same time I want to move to Waterless Coolant. Currently I'm using Genuine Toyota Coolant with water wetter.

I run a bit of diesel kleen and lubricity formula with every fill up.

Future mods down the road might be:

Safari Snorkel
    2.25 or 2.5 Stainless Mandrel Bent Exhaust
    R151 Transmission & Heavy Duty Clutch. (I have a USA R151 tailhousing to mount to the gear driven transfer case so hopefully can find a low mileage JDM R151 with bellhousing to upgrade and still keep everything looking factory)
    33x10.5 Tires & 4.88 gears

I haven't done enough documentation & pictures of the work I've done so far so hopefully I can document the new things here.

2. Nov 17, 2017 at 10:27 AM
    ChadsPride

ChadsPride Tacoma Owner & Enthusiast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sponsored by TacomaWorld.com
    Got dang she's so clean!!! :drool:

JPro, MotoEd, BrokenMech and 2 others like this.
  3. Nov 20, 2017 at 6:51 PM
    Riding Dirty

Riding Dirty Sinner; saved by grace

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Before: '16 TRD OR 4x4 AC QS//After: 17 T4R Pro 040
    PlastiDip
    That is sooooo cool! I’d love to see one like it in person someday!

HighLux4x4[OP] and ChadsPride like this.
  4. Nov 20, 2017 at 6:56 PM
    Roland79

Roland79 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road DCLB Black
    That’s s pretty damn sweet truck you have there OP. :thumbsup:

HighLux4x4[OP] and ChadsPride like this.
  5. Nov 21, 2017 at 6:26 AM
    HighLux4x4

Member:
    Thanks for the comments. It is clean but I try to use it as intended. It is rare but there are better examples in the USA https://goo.gl/photos/SY3WzW7adQeV2LzVA so I don't feel too bad about modifying and driving it. The only thing I want to completely avoid is salt.

These are the photos I had to go by when purchasing it. It was an auction grade 4 and interior B if anyone is familiar with that scale. It was in southern Japan which meant little to no snow but I think the corrosion on the roll bar and the dull body panels pictures scared some of the competition off. It turns out that is was just the light angles and no repainting or bodywork had been done.

6. Dec 4, 2017 at 8:09 AM
    HighLux4x4

Member:
    Next is modding the Diff lock dial to add additional individual lighted rocker switches. They will go into the empty slots above the dial and should fit perfectly. This will mean that in order to lock both the dial and rocker switch must be turned on. Part of it is the extra safety precaution, getting a light to remind me they are engaged, but most importantly this will allow a locked front and open rear. For certain situations with uphill turns and obstacles I think having that option would be nice.

7. Dec 28, 2017 at 3:00 PM
    Fleischwagen

Fleischwagen 2.7 > 3.5

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR 5MT 4X4
    5.29's, ARB locker, 6112/5100, Deaver AAL, LCE Header, aFe dry-flo filter, Hurst/Core shifter, CBI T3 Front, Warn Winch, CB/UHF Radio equipment, Backrack, KC fogs and spots
    Goddamn is that thing sweet. I'd love to import one something like this... was it a pain? Even if it was, it appears like it was worth it hah

ChadsPride likes this.
  8. Dec 28, 2017 at 3:05 PM
    Juforrest

Juforrest Dumb!

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    Reformed Taco driver in a GX460
    Sofa king awesome!

ChadsPride likes this.
  9. Dec 28, 2017 at 3:12 PM
    Vereor_Nox

Vereor_Nox Fumblerooski

Member:
    North California
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I really want to know how much boost?

ChadsPride likes this.
  10. Dec 29, 2017 at 7:04 AM
    HighLux4x4

Member:
    It isn't a pain but it takes time to find one. You have to put money upfront for an agent to bid and inspect for you then be ready to wire the rest of the money overseas when auction closes. There are a fee pay and form to file with the shipping company before arrival then you can use a customs broker or go to the port yourself for pickup and import and customs processing.

Most of the time it should go smoothly but you could be unlucky and get an enhanced inspection by customs and be forced to pay for it. Also if the vehicle doesn't have the original engine it could get denied entry. There are many horror stories but for the majority of cases it is straight forward.

It is worth it if you are willing to take a risk to save money. Otherwise it would be easier to buy one that is already imported.

Usually maxes out around 8-9 pounds of boost. The fuel pump hasn't been adjusted and I'm still running the stock exhaust with no intercooler.

11. Jan 16, 2018 at 6:21 AM
    HighLux4x4

Member:
    I was ordering some part numbers using https://www.megazip.net/ and found out that 1991 was the last year of production for the double cab solid axle in the JDM market. I had been following the JDM Auctions and all the newer double cab vehicles have been IFS. So if anyone else is looking the only years you will find them will be 1989-1991.

In Australia they were available until at least 1996 or 1997. When I was in South America I spotted a few in LHD Japanese built trucks with solid axles up until 1996 but I think most of the odometers had been rolled back a couple hundred thousand Km's.

Riding Dirty and ChadsPride like this.
  12. Jan 22, 2018 at 10:45 PM
    Mattrmartinez

Mattrmartinez Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Northern NM
    Vehicle:
    2014 gray Tacoma TRD offroad
    Such a freaken awesome build Bro. Love the truck.

ChadsPride likes this.
  13. Feb 1, 2018 at 10:35 PM
    lynlan1819

lynlan1819 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoma
    Lifted
    Those older trucks last forever.nice truck O.P

14. Feb 5, 2018 at 8:32 PM
    lynlan1819

lynlan1819 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoma
    Lifted
    Damn nice truck!!!

15. Feb 5, 2018 at 8:37 PM
    TACOVRD

TACOVRD I Identify As A Prius

Member:
    First Name:
    TW Addict
    AZ/WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP - Formerly 2013 DCSB OR Spruce Mica
    Workin' on it....
    Wow. The front and rear lockers and solid axles are pretty sweet. Shame Toyota didn't feel there was a market for that sort of thing in North America any longer.

16. Feb 7, 2018 at 10:39 AM
    Peek

Peek Well-Known Member

Member:
    NWGA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OR 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 front AAL rear ...
    holy shit thats a dream truck

17. Feb 15, 2018 at 9:46 AM
    Glock9mm

Glock9mm New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Toby
    Vehicle:
    '17 2.7 5spd 4x4
    265/70R16
    This is exactly what i have been planning. I've been researching how to import a Hilux to Texas from Japan and I think I've settled on Pacific coast jdm at this point but still confused about the arrival process. Any advice or warning

18. Feb 18, 2018 at 12:05 AM
    HighLux4x4

Member:
    I looked at them as well but they were too busy at the time to even take a deposit. I paid a higher fee but the dealer I went with did an inspection with many res photos. Imo it is worth the extra cost to have it inspected before bidding. The enhanced inspections helped me from over bidding on a few land cruisers I was also interested in. Find a customs broker at your local port and between them and your broker in Japan you’ll have all the information you need to import.

Best warning would be watch your budget closely because all the commissions and shipping fees will go into the import duty then you have to pay state sales tax on the whole thing depending on where you live.

The other warning would be that there really aren’t many of them left in Japan. So it might take a very long time to find one and there will be alot of competitors bidding against you. I would look at the whole lineup of land cruisers and nissan patrols/safari as well. You’ll see many more of them in better condition than all but a few of the 1980’s-1990’s hilux’s plus they will be much cheaper to import.

19. Feb 18, 2018 at 6:06 PM
    Glock9mm

Glock9mm New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Toby
    Vehicle:
    '17 2.7 5spd 4x4
    265/70R16
    Yeah, Pacific Coast still haven't responded to my request to set up a purchasing account. Who did you go thru? The pre-bid inspection is definitely the right way to go.

Another concern I had was that another guy I talked to imported a Hilux thru Pacific Coast with no issues but had to pay a 25% duty tax at the port. Is that percent standard or did he get screwed?

I apologize for so many questions it' just a little scary trusting someone overseas and there's sporadic info all over the internet about the whole process.

20. Feb 18, 2018 at 7:24 PM
    HighLux4x4

Member:
    Stuart from Auto access japan. I heard brave auto is good as well. I think they are all slow to respond until you paid the buyers fee. Yes 25% is standard for trucks because of the chicken tax. A Suv or car is only 2.5%.

To Top