1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1995 Regular Cab V6 4x4

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by sonjason, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Sep 10, 2016 at 4:18 PM
    xcmtb83

xcmtb83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa
    What supporting fuel mods have you done?

2. Sep 10, 2016 at 4:31 PM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    Interesting question, the 1997 motor did ping a little and I had no fuel mods for 480,000 miles.
    Engine never used oil or had any issues until head gasket went out, the pinging was just a little with the 2.1 pulley when I lugged the engine with close to full throttle.

So here's the interesting thing. The new motor is a 2004 motor with 95,000 miles with the 2004 DESNO injectors.
    With this motor there is ZERO pinging, I can't make it ping if I try and I know that sounds crazy, unless of course I take off in 3rd or 4th or 5th gear.
    I know the 2004 injectors are larger flow rate and DESNO made a huge upgrade in performance In 2002, maybe they applied that upgrade to the 3.4 motor?

Someone told me the the valves are larger also on the 2004 motor, but I'm not sure.
    I do know that the 2004 motor with the 2004 DESNO injectors puts out a lot more power than the 1997 motor with the supercharger, it's like a different motor in performance, The 1997 motor
    died out in performance around 60 or 70 mph just had no real power on the high rpm range. The 2004 motors power comes on right away and DOES NOT STOP up till the red line pulling very hard the whole way.
    Engine upgrades are KN AIRFILTER cold air, 2.1 super grip pulley,
    At this point I don't need anything else.
    To be honest I thought all the years of the 3.4. V6 engines were the exact same in performance, but 1st hand experience says that's not true as the 2004 motor does
    not ping and runs much stronger in the high rpm range.
    Maybe it's all in the injectors?
    It would be an interesting question to find out from supercharged owners that are 1995-2002 and 2002 -2004 owners if the pinging problems are the same or different or no issues to speak of like me.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  3. Sep 10, 2016 at 8:41 PM
    xcmtb83

Member:
    Iowa
    The documents you shared look to be general timelines illustrating how Denso's technology has progressed through the years and is by no means a direct indicator of what Toyota actually spec'd for their engines through the years. The timeline does not prove that Toyota updated the 5VZ-FE injectors to the latest technology or compatibility. If Toyota decided to go with a totally different injector in the later years of the 5VZ-FE there would be a different part number or at least a noted change in part numbers for the later years. I haven't taken the time to verify this but it could be done easily. At the same time one could look for differences in valve part numbers which could indicate a size difference.

With that many miles on your old engine it doesn't surprise me to hear that the '04 makes more power, at least according to your ass-o-meter. Did you record compression test values of each engine during the swap (or at least the cylinders that were not affected by the H.G. failure)? Without knowing how the compression test values compare I would be apprehensive to make claims of the newer engines making more power.

4. Sep 10, 2016 at 9:24 PM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    The 1997 DESNO injector is a DIFFERANT part number and has DIFFERANT flow rate "Less" then the newer 2004 DESNO injectors, this I know and have looked up already.
    Toyota did not use the same DESNO injectors from 1995 for nine years later till 2004.
    Improvements were made to the electronic of the 3.4 from 1995 till 2004,
    The throttle body was changed to a DIFFERANT system in 2002 I think, I know the injectors were changed, and I'm sure other parts too.
    I would think the injectors would be updated in nine years if DESNO made these HUGE improvements to their injectors, but maybe after 1998 they didn't.
    Anyway facts are I had a ping issues ever since the truck was new with the supercharger,
    not bad ones but still was an issue.
    With this engine I have zero issues, No pinging at all and a lot more power.
    The ping issues does not just go away, logic would say the newer injectors have helped get rid of my ping issue I had before.
    Is just my observation

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  5. Sep 10, 2016 at 9:45 PM
    xcmtb83

Member:
    Iowa
    "The 1997 DESNO injector is a DIFFERANT part number and has DIFFERANT flow rate "Less" then the newer 2004 DESNO injectors, this I know and have looked up already."
    Please share any supporting evidence for this claim.

"Improvements were made to the electronic of the 3.4 from 1995 till 2004"
    This is really vague, please elaborate.

"The throttle body was changed to a DIFFERANT system in 2002 I think"
    This is really vague, please elaborate.

I am not trying to be confrontational I am genuinely curious. I also happen to be very fastidious by nature especially in a forum setting and try to avoid anecdotal evidence. I believe this does those a favor that may use this thread as a reference in future years.

6. Sep 11, 2016 at 12:29 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    I have a 2004 3.4l with the TRD supercharger and it does ping from time to time, it used to be a lot worse until I upgraded to colder plugs. But now, I'll still get some knocking if I floor it on the freeway in 5th gear (high gear/low RPM), especially if the AC is on.

I had also heard about the 2004s having better injectors, so I'm not sure if the 7th injector kit is something that would help me or not.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  7. Sep 11, 2016 at 12:55 PM
    Bxnanaz

Bxnanaz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRDOR 6MT
    I would think that in 9 years Toyota update the 5vz some. I don't have any evidence, and don't care enough to look, but you would think the made some improvements.

Products Discussed in

To Top