1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1996 Integra GSR Sedan

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by danteisme, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Apr 28, 2021 at 8:18 PM
    Heyyo_Friday

Heyyo_Friday Will post memes for truck parts

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Dfw, texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 V6
    CSF T4R/FJ radiator
    Just threaten to burn it to the floor like me. Its never fixed it but made me feel better every time lol

2. Apr 29, 2021 at 5:39 AM
    danteisme

danteisme [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    Oh i've been there with this car quite a few times, i know the feeling lol.

3. Apr 29, 2021 at 7:04 AM
    Heyyo_Friday

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Dfw, texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 V6
    CSF T4R/FJ radiator
    You don't have any codes now? I only saw the knock code and I know thats fixed

4. Apr 29, 2021 at 7:11 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Nope no codes, nothing pending. I put about 5 gallons of fresh 93 in the car, there was probably 2+/- gallons of fuel in there from 2 years ago in there. i used fuel stabil but that could be part of the issue along with maybe a dirty IACV etc... So i'll poke around tomorrow night for a few of those things, its probably something that just needs cleaned. Or maybe the car just needs driven to work it out since it hasnt run consistently for almost 2 years.

Tomorrow night i plan to install the new exhaust gasket, take a look at the IACV, clean the throttle body, bleed off the coolant again just in case, and a few other odds and ends. I put new pads and rotors on the car last night. I really need to repaint the calipers, but that can wait until later. It doesnt affect the car driving, it just bothers me lol.

5. Apr 29, 2021 at 7:14 AM
    Heyyo_Friday

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Dfw, texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 V6
    CSF T4R/FJ radiator
    Check fuel pressure if you get a chance? Maybe something caught in the fuel filter? All I could think after cleaning the throttle body and iacv

6. Apr 29, 2021 at 7:16 AM
    Heyyo_Friday

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Dfw, texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 V6
    CSF T4R/FJ radiator
    Painting calipers is one of those things I need to do. But I just can't be bothered to do it lol. Maybe whenever I bleed my brakes and change pads this year I'll do it

7. Apr 29, 2021 at 7:56 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    I repainted mine during the first phase of this restoration. Well, I must not have prepped them good enough. That and I've had to bleed the brakes a couple of times since then...soooooo they really look like crap.

8. Apr 29, 2021 at 8:26 AM
    Heyyo_Friday

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Dfw, texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 V6
    CSF T4R/FJ radiator
    I bought one of those hand pump bleeder things that fell apart almost immediately. But I do use the hose and little container to catch fluid.

9. Apr 29, 2021 at 8:26 AM
    Heyyo_Friday

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Dfw, texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 V6
    CSF T4R/FJ radiator
    Or. Spoon calipers

10. Apr 29, 2021 at 10:36 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Lol those are WAY outside of my budget, especially for just a brake caliper. When these fronts give out, i'll go to the DIY ITR brake upgrade.

Heyyo_Friday[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Apr 29, 2021 at 12:07 PM
    Heyyo_Friday

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Dfw, texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 V6
    CSF T4R/FJ radiator
    Thats not a bad deal overall. Im curious how well they last vs a stock setup. My friends gsr has it already but we've never tested its limits

12. May 3, 2021 at 11:08 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Well, the integra is driving me nuts. I missed my inspection appointment this morning because of all of the craziness it decided to do to me yesterday.

13. May 3, 2021 at 1:45 PM
    Heyyo_Friday

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Dfw, texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 V6
    CSF T4R/FJ radiator
  14. May 10, 2021 at 10:12 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    I really thought it was at first, and that would have been the end of this project for quite a while. The car's oil light came on, wouldnt hold an idle, lost i'd say 50% of power, just a mess. I think i have it narrowed down to the low idle triggering the oil light, and the low idle and lack of power to a bad TPS. The oil pressure gauge was showing plenty of pressure at all rpms above the stupid low idle (550+/-), so i don't think its anything with the actual pressure delivery. I ordered a new TPS, but its been stuck in purgatory of shipping.

Also been having some annoying issues with my AC, but i THINK i have that straightened out. Between a bad connection a stuck heater valve and hot / cold slider, i think this is pretty much resolved.

Here is one of the issues I found related to the AC system, this goes to the hot/cold slider.

[​IMG]

I ordered a new cable from Acura since it is still available. I just noticed I'm missing my one light too...better order another one of those.

Also got my Spoon mirrors installed. I think I mentioned it before, but I didn't trust the 3m tape on the factory glass, and i didnt like how much the Spoon mirrors stuck out of the glass holder because of that, so I opted for a bit of a different install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And lastly, I picked up this gem for the car...

[​IMG]

I plan to install the "receiver" end, but maybe nothing else. Especially since its not 100% complete and missing the actual phone. Which is OK, I think I've read this things work on a 2G network anyways, so it's not like it would have ever worked anyways. But, I still think its a really cool piece for the car.

Siblue and Heyyo_Friday like this.
  15. May 12, 2021 at 5:03 AM
    Heyyo_Friday

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Dfw, texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 V6
    CSF T4R/FJ radiator
    That receiver is pretty cool. Id be cool if the phone part still worked. Glad you've narrowed down the idle issue

16. May 14, 2021 at 12:05 PM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    The TPS fixed everything, the car runs amazing now! Inspection and alignment rescheduled for Tuesday!
    Just in time for me to get my truck inspected like 2 weeks later..ugh.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also got this in the mail, just in case i want to use minutes when i use my acura car phone lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Superdave1.0 and Heyyo_Friday like this.
  17. May 14, 2021 at 2:05 PM
    Heyyo_Friday

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Dfw, texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 V6
    CSF T4R/FJ radiator
    Heyyyyy. Glad to hear it worked out

18. Jun 1, 2021 at 9:25 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    So, I got to enjoy the car this weekend, and I think I have fixed my AC. I took off Friday so I could head to the upull yard to see if I could grab any of the climate control stuff off of a GSR they had. I made it without getting rained on, but that GSR was basically a non-rolling shell when I got there.
    [​IMG]

Someone REALLY put in some work, or it arrived this way maybe?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Saw this on my way out, shame this ended up in here. This car was pretty much still 100% intact.
    [​IMG]

Also saw this, I always loved these cars. I feel like I'm in the minority with that, this one was a manual trans too.
    [​IMG]

So I left the upull yard with just a CRV table (I have like 4 now lol) and made my way home to work on this AC issue. I rented a set of AC gauges and a vacuum pump and went to work. I pulled a vacuum on the system for about 20 minutes and it held at a -20 +/- on the gauges. After those 20 minutes, I closed up the system and shut off the pump and left the car for another 20 minutes or so. It held the same amount of vacuum that whole time, so it looks like my system is leak free. Then I hooked up my Dupont 134a, purged the line and fed 24 oz of freon into the car. I didnt add any oil because it was done last time I had this system re-done and I have no leaks. So I took the car for a test drive and I was still only getting to about a 60 degree air temp in the vents. This is with it only being about 70 outside, so something was still off. I checked a number of other things, and I think my entire issue is coming from the stupid cables that operate the climate controls. I replaced the bent one from the hot cold slider to the control box, but there is another one that goes to the heater valve in the engine bay. It looks like the hot cold slider cable goes to a lever under the dash, and this lever controls another lever that operates another cable that goes to the heater valve. Something is wrong with this cable, it never allows the valve to go fully closed. So I disconnected the cable and manually pushed the valve shut. I want to say the cable was leaving this open a good 20%. Right now, there is no way this cable will physically attach to the valve in the fully closed position. So I'm not sure if its binding up somehow or what. With how cold it was on Saturday and Sunday, I had to wait until Monday to test the system again.

So fast forward to Monday. I jump in the car with the vent gauge in place and drove around for a bit. I got the car up to operating temps and I was getting right around 100 degree air temps in the actual vents. I turned on the AC and in about 6-7 minutes, the temps dropped to 44 degrees. THAT is a number I can live with. So it looks like that stupid cable was my issue all along. Since that part is discontinued, I'm not really sure how to permanently fix this. But for now, since its basically summer, I'll just leave the control valve in "manual" mode lol.

And onto my last two projects on Monday. I removed the crappy adhesive from my ebay window visors and installed some good 3M adhesive tape. Since "real" jdm visors are hard to come buy, expensive as heck, and impossible to find parts for, these will do just fine.
    [​IMG]

And we finished up the kid's project for the car.

Before:
    [​IMG]

During lol, I was helping my son with the driver when my daughter felt left out apparently and figured she could fit on the crate too:
    [​IMG]

Also during (Enzo found the key to the car and put it in the ignition, but got scared when he heard the Honda beeps lol):
    [​IMG]

And the finished product. I am super happy with it, i love it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  19. Jun 7, 2021 at 6:07 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    It feels so good to cruise around in this car again. There's just something to be said about cruising around in this car in good weather, while listening to Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie album, on cassette lol.

I finally got my retrofits a little more aimed than what they were, still not perfect. I don't have a long enough space at my house to get these things really dialed in, so some night soon I'll have to head to my parent's house where they have a long enough driveway that I can set up and use some masking tape to make my reference points on their garage door. This is still way better than what it was though, I can actually see where I'm going now lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think these actually need to come down a bit more, there isnt nearly as much light on the road in front of me as I thought there would be, so I'm thinking these might still be a bit too high.

Also took the car to run an errand yesterday morning, and to get the wife one of her essentials (yes one is mine too lol). Happy wife = Happy life.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also made the switch, the car seats are now in the car so I can drive it whenever I want. The truck will be parked for a little while, it is in desperate need of some maintenance since I completely neglected it last year while I was working on the car.

20. Jun 30, 2021 at 8:33 PM
    Heyyo_Friday

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Dfw, texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 V6
    CSF T4R/FJ radiator
    I'm willing to bet that other gsr was stripped bare long before it landed at the junkyard. Thats wayyyy to clean of strip. To me atleast

Products Discussed in

To Top