1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1996 Integra GSR Sedan

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by danteisme, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Dec 16, 2022 at 11:51 AM
    danteisme

danteisme [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    holy crap, my post didnt work lol. Look for the updated post this weekend.

Heyyo_Friday likes this.
  2. Dec 18, 2022 at 3:59 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Let's see, where to begin.

The year started off rough with the car. A few simple maintenance and repair things kept the car off the road for a while. I was getting horrible clicking and clacking from the front axles so I replaced them. Took the car on a test drive to make sure everything was good, and it was not. Axle wasnt fully seated and my buddy had to come help install an axle in a Giant Eagle parking lot. That was fun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I completed an "old skool" BSQ intake mod on the car, I really like the look and feel of it. Basically a replica of the Mugen air intake for the car. I used 4" piping and a 5" velocity stack at the end.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made an interior upgrade with the seats, brand new kit from leatherseats.com. Gotta add that luxury part back in to the luxury sports car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More in a second post, dont wanna exceed picture limits.

gr8-wrx, IvanhoeTaco and Heyyo_Friday like this.
  3. Dec 18, 2022 at 4:12 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Not sure if i ever posted the completed period correct sound system or not.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At one point over the summer, I really thought my engine blew out. I was on the highway, it was raining and it was like 85 out, so I had the AC on. All of the sudden, power really dropped off, there was a loud squealing sound, then a loud bang and a small cloud of smoke. I immediately found a place to pull off and checked all the gauges. Everything checked out fine so I popped the hood. The AC compressor seized and blew out, the loud bang was the belt smackign off the underside of the hood.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Because of the way it blew out, there were metal fragments all through out the lines. I ended up taking the car off the road for a little more than a month. Between waiting for parts, the work, COVID, and summer vacation, thats just how long it took to replace every single component in the AC system.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm also still fighting a troublesome evap code, stupid OBD2 systems. I got my work cut out for trying to resolve that one, still no definitive source of the problem.

Finished sourcing all of the parts for my period correct Yakima rack as well. This will come in handy when we all pile in the car and take our bikes somewhere. Oh yeah, also installed a receiver hitch on the car too.

[​IMG]

Last bit of pics, I went to the last cars and coffee of the season. It was a great turnout with some really great cars. Its a smaller group, I'd say they get 40-50 cars throughout the day, its a nice chill setup and you can actually get around and talk to everyone. The pics of my car were actually taken by other people interested in the car, i was surprised at the interest in the car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll update with another post later showing my latest pickup and whats going on this winter.

Heyyo_Friday likes this.
  4. Dec 18, 2022 at 6:47 AM
    Heyyo_Friday

Heyyo_Friday Will post memes for truck parts

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Dfw, texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 V6
    CSF T4R/FJ radiator
    Cars are fun aren't they? I've never seen an ac compressor blow up that way. Not something I would've expected.

I dig the intake mod. I was originally thinking about doing something similar to my integra. But at the moment when gone with blox 6 inch filter with velocity stack and a modified d series intake. I need to come up with a better intake pipe solution

5. Dec 18, 2022 at 6:51 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    It was super strange. Oil and smoke out the side of the case, the pulley seized but the motor kept spinning the belt, it was a mess. This winter, i have to take off the crankshaft pulley to give it a through cleaning. There are still bits of rubber imbedded in it, it makes that god awful squealing sound like it has a loose belt at startup.

Front sight likes this.
  6. Dec 18, 2022 at 7:06 AM
    gr8-wrx

gr8-wrx Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma SR5 DCSB 2WD
    Awesome build! Thanks for sharing your progress.

danteisme[OP] likes this.
  7. Dec 18, 2022 at 7:43 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    So, the car is away for the winter. I have quite a few things to inspect / repair if necessary, but I also have the fun stuff to add to the car this winter. When I look at the list, I start to wonder if winter is going to be long enough lol.

Last time out in the car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also made a purchase in July I finally went to pick up. So, some of the sheet metal work that I did on the car has absolutely bothered the crap out of me, some people dont notice but I notice everytime I walk to the car. Also, my doors are trashed, absolutely trashed. They are rotted at the seams on all four doors, I wanted to replace them before I did the paint work a couple of years ago, but nothing I could track down was in any better shape than what I had. So, after realizing that these parts aren't going to get any cheaper, or any easier to find, I pulled the trigger on some parts to remedy all of this. I won't work on these parts of the car for a few years yet, I'm still in the enjoyment phase of the car, these will be part of the final "perfection" part of the restoration. I'm kind of mad at myself for not waiting to find something better than what I had to work with, or maybe slowing down a bit with the sheet metal work, but live and learn.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Supercharger is going on the car this winter, I have 90% of the supporting parts to get the charger on the car.

Heyyo_Friday and gr8-wrx like this.
  8. Dec 19, 2022 at 7:43 AM
    Heyyo_Friday

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Dfw, texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 V6
    CSF T4R/FJ radiator
    Are you replacing the quarter on your own or paying to have it done?

Also
    Boost:bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::bananadance:

9. Dec 19, 2022 at 7:54 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    I'll be doing it myself again, with a little more patience and knowledge this time around lol. Thats why i'm waiting to do this for a while, I'd like to enjoy the car before I take it off the road for an entire driving season again.

I'm excited for boost, i've wanted to put a super charger on this car since like 2005. I'm going low boost to keep it as reliable as possible, I still drive this thing like 6-7K miles a year. Its basically my daily driver when its nice out. So i'm sticking with the low boost pulley which should be good for 6-7 lbs of boost, and with the supporting mods i have, i've seen anywhere from 205 to 220 whp. thats plenty for me, and for a car this light.

10. Dec 19, 2022 at 8:47 AM
    Heyyo_Friday

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Dfw, texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 V6
    CSF T4R/FJ radiator
    Maybe its just been while since I've gone through this thread. What's you're idea for engine management?

11. Dec 19, 2022 at 8:51 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    I was gifted an OBD1 p72 from somone on hondatech. It needed a little work. But, i got a nice bonus at work this year, so i had Burton Racing install a Hondata S300 V3 to the computer. I just got that back last week, havent tested it out yet to make sure it works.

So i'll be running that ECU for tuning, 410 injectors, 250 fuel pump, jackson racing charger with the low boost pulley, picked up an innovative wideband, should be a fun setup with nice flat torque band.

Heyyo_Friday likes this.
  12. Dec 19, 2022 at 2:17 PM
    Heyyo_Friday

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Dfw, texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 V6
    CSF T4R/FJ radiator
    Ah, cool. Glad that's sorted already. I wasn't sure if hondata would still be selling s300 after everything that happened with pfispeed. But I haven't looked at their website since mid 2021

13. Mar 6, 2023 at 7:37 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    I'm overdue for an Integra update, as usual....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Organizing parts.
    [​IMG]

Extremely dirty stock injectors.
    [​IMG]

I also pulled apart the supercharger to make sure nothing looked suspect internally. Reassembled, filled with new oil and it sounds great.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm sending out the throttle body, S-tube, and the intake manifold this week to get port matched together. I found a significant amount of oil in the throttle body and intake manifold, so i'm going to go through the pcv system and attempt to DIY change the valve seals myself too for extra peace of mind. I'll be tearing into the head to swap out my CTR intake cam for the GSR intake cam so I may as well go through all of it while I'm in there.

Motor things aside, i picked up these rotas super cheap last year or the year before. Long road with these, but i'm going to attempt to polish these. So far, i've sanded the faces of the wheel (because it was easiest and I needed to see a result before I get frustrated lol).
    [​IMG]

I also wasn't really feeling the gold rota group n wheels anymore, so i dipped them and I think i'm going to go this route with these wheels, as well as the SCS wheels on the taco.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And if I ever change my mind, I'll just peel the dip off.

Heyyo_Friday likes this.
  14. Mar 6, 2023 at 7:43 AM
    Maximumdarkside

Maximumdarkside Master of self destruction.

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Sevierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma prerunner a.k.a Checkers
    Mostly stock, just happy to have a truck.
  15. Mar 7, 2023 at 6:34 AM
    Heyyo_Friday

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Dfw, texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 V6
    CSF T4R/FJ radiator
    Is there a catch can in the future? I'm sure at low psi there hopefully won't be move crankcase pressure. Just thinking out loud

16. Mar 7, 2023 at 7:48 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    I'm not planning for one right now since its low boost, but its definitely something I plan to monitor. Engine bay is going to be tight enough as it is lol.

17. Mar 7, 2023 at 8:13 AM
    Heyyo_Friday

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Dfw, texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB SR5 V6
    CSF T4R/FJ radiator
    I know that feeling:annoyed:

Id love to put one in my rsx when if I get around to the k20/24 combo. But im out of room unless I switch to ep3 power steering:spending:

18. Mar 7, 2023 at 8:37 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Time to start sawzalling stuff out of the way, right? LOL

19. Mar 7, 2023 at 8:50 AM
    lbregman

lbregman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma ACORMT
    OP you rock for doing all this and documenting it. So greatly appreciated. I really love it. I sold my 2000 GSR right before prices sky rocketed . But I had it for 10 good years from 08 to 18 and for that, I am grateful. WILL get another someday.

danteisme[OP] likes this.
  20. Mar 7, 2023 at 9:06 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    I very frequently forget to post on here, my honda tech build thread has more content.

Products Discussed in

To Top