1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1997 Taco good deal?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by WestWA, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Apr 13, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    WestWA

WestWA [OP] Member

Member:
    There is a 1997 Toyota Tacoma for sell in my area it is a 5 speed manual, 2.7L 4cyl, 4x4, extended cab, black has new 31" tires on it and the engine was rebuilt from head up. However it has 260,000 miles on it. He is asking $4699.00 for it. I am a little concerned about the miles being so high but since the motor was partially rebuilt should I not worry? How much longer will the tranny/clutch last? Figure I can talk him down a bit since it has so many miles but figured I would ask you guys first. Thanks for any help

2. Apr 13, 2012 at 8:00 PM
    Bamahoyt

Bamahoyt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD 4x4 Xtra Cab
    -Camper top
    Really just need to look over it really good and verify his work but for 4k I don't think it would be too bad of a buy

3. Apr 15, 2012 at 11:21 AM
    STLharry

STLharry Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Yeti Rescue Package with 240k miles
    '95-'97 camouflaged, ARB bull bar, RAT Products skid plate kit, sliders, Green Mountain Customs rear tube bumper and overland bed rack, King coilovers with Icon neoprene covers, defenestrated sway bar, OME Rear Suspension: CS046R leafs + AAL/5125 shocks/NWOR greasable hardware/U-bolt flip kit; S13WL Tundra calipers/pads/rotors, IPF H4 lenses and bulbs, IPF 968 DCG 100W lights, clapped out CB radio, Aussie-spec FJ60 inclinometer, ARB CKMA12 compressor, Superwinch S9000 with 12V Guy clock switch, 4' Hi-Lift, deckplate mod/grey wire mod/dif breather extensions, Duratrac tires, Sockmonkey bedside decals, boat cupholder, Dakine bike pad
    Check rust situation. Otherwise, if the truck has been even just minimally cared for you should be ok.

Try for sub-4k price though.

4. Apr 15, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I replaced the first clutch on my '94 at 180k, so if this one is on it's original clutch, it's probably due. If it's been replaced, it may have another 50-100k left in it depending on the driver.

Engine? How much of a "partially" rebuilt?
    Mine was burning a fair amount of oil (1qt every 3k) by the time it was at 230k, and it was a little down on power, which could have been due to low compression or timing chain stretch.
    At 260k, I would say the timing chain should definitely have been replaced.
    My oil pressure was good, so that's an indication that the bearings were still in good shape.

I do think $4700 is a bit steep for a truck with almost 300k on it.
    That's well beyond where we joke "it's just broken in" ;)
    For $3700, I'd jump on it. For $4k, I'd sleep on it but probably grab it.

To Top